Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 14, 2015, 11:21 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: flyoff
The facility to choose your main course meal before you fly (when travelling First, Club World and World Traveller Plus) is available on the following routes on flights departing from London:

London Heathrow to Accra, Amman, Atlanta, Austin, Bahrain, Baltimore, Bangalore, Bangkok, Beijing, Beirut, Boston, Buenos Aires, Cairo, Calgary, Cape Town, Chengdu, Chicago, Dallas, Delhi, Denver, Doha, Dubai, Durban, Hong Kong, Houston, Hyderabad, Jeddah, Johannesburg, Kuala Lumpur, Kuwait, Lagos, Las Vegas, Los Angeles, Madras, Mexico, Miami, Montreal, Mumbai, Muscat, Nairobi, Narita, Nassau, New York (JFK and Newark), Philadelphia, Phoenix, Rio De Janeiro, Riyadh, San Diego, San Francisco, San Jose (California), Sao Paulo, Seattle, Seoul, Shanghai, Singapore, Tehran, Tel Aviv, Tokyo (Haneda and Narita), Toronto, Vancouver, and Washington DC.

London Gatwick to Antigua, Barbados, Bermuda, Cancun, Cape Town, Costa Rica, New York (JFK), Kingston, Lima, Male, Mauritius, Orlando, Punta Cana, Saint Lucia, San Jose (Costa Rica), Tampa, and Trinidad and Tobago

Meal selection will be from the on-board menu; pre-selection is available between 30 days and 24 hours before your flight

Meal selection is only for the main course of the main meal. However, you can click on the menu link to see the full main meal menu.

Starters and desserts cannot be pre-ordered. Items from the second meals cannot be viewed or pre-ordered.

Print Wikipost

The main course pre-order choice thread

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2015, 1:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
The main course pre-order choice thread

I thought I'd start a new thread where people can ask/give recommendations on main course choice pre-orders.

I know we have other food threads like the picture ones, the short haul one, etc, but here I thought we could have something closer to some of the other airline threads like the AA one where people give and take advice on pre-ordering, since after all it is the model that BA have chosen.

So let me start. LHR-SIN in F. Main course choices are:

- stir fried prawns in pumpkin sweet corn sauce with garlic scented broccoli, cauliflower and steamed rice
- seared Welsh sea bass and scallops with linguine and fish nage
- Roasted English rack of lamb, shepherd's pie, sauté cabbage, fondant potato, confit carrot and garlic with rosemary jus
- Main course salad of chargrilled chicken with parma ham lardons, Caesar salad, and Caesar dressing

I usually go for the fish in F but am not so keen on the pasta bit, and I love rack of lamb. Has anyone any recommendation for me? Does anyone know if the rack is served as a rack (ie in one piece with the chops attached) or just means a couple "independent" chops? I'm asking because I'm hoping the rack would be less likely to feel overcooked/leathery.

Thanks in advance and I hope we can all get plenty of useful pre-order tips from the new thread!
Old Aug 25, 2015, 2:11 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
I'd be making a beeline for the lamb. I've had shepherd's pie only once (although I don't remember having the rack of lamb with it (perhaps a LPGS too many?)) and it was rather tasty.

The last time I had fish with linguine, the fish fillet was placed on top of a bed of linguine with a rather pleasant sauce and was rather good. But I do enjoy pasta.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 2:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
I'd be making a beeline for the lamb. I've had shepherd's pie only once (although I don't remember having the rack of lamb with it (perhaps a LPGS too many?)) and it was rather tasty.

The last time I had fish with linguine, the fish fillet was placed on top of a bed of linguine and was rather good. But I do enjoy pasta.
Thanks! I've followed your advice and chosen the rack of lamb! I guess it was my inclination anyway since I like the new trend in F of offering something "in two ways" like the beef fillet and oxtail, rack of lamb and shepherd's pie, etc.

In the other direction, I'll be on the A380 so tasting menu it will be!
Old Aug 25, 2015, 2:18 am

Programs: Iron Maiden FC, GE, Rapidly falling down the Tiers to oblivion.
Lamb all the way, and a pie to go with it? Best of British right there, no? I'd have that right now if i could. This is why i like pre-ordering. Shouldn't be a problem in F but if i was told no more lamb on board with that menu i'd be wondering what was on the cw menu....the prawn dish sounds nice, but it is ruined by prawns. Food fight material is all that they are. Im also not sure sea bass works with linguine, the textures would clash surely? Any other fish and sure, i'd be game.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 2:28 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jcm9000
Lamb all the way, and a pie to go with it? Best of British right there, no? I'd have that right now if i could. This is why i like pre-ordering. Shouldn't be a problem in F but if i was told no more lamb on board with that menu i'd be wondering what was on the cw menu....the prawn dish sounds nice, but it is ruined by prawns. Food fight material is all that they are. Im also not sure sea bass works with linguine, the textures would clash surely? Any other fish and sure, i'd be game.
I take it that the prawn dish is the "Asian option" as it is a SIN flight but I'm not entirely clear what the inspiration is and I saw it as something that could work... or not. All in all, I'd risk it if nothing else appealed, but since there is rack of lamb and shepherd's pie, I've gone for that indeed!
Old Aug 25, 2015, 2:53 am

Programs: BA Silver
I haven't yet been on a flight with pre-ordering. In principle I'm all in favour. It's obviously a lot more efficient than loading a selection meals and hoping they more or less pan out between the pax. Unfortunately it still doesn't guarantee you'll get something enjoyable because of the gap between what the menu suggests and what you actually get. All the items on your menu sound very appetising to me but I know from experience that each of them can be good or bad depending on how they made and heated. Past experience isn't a reliable guide (e.g. steak is often a disappointment but can occasionally be excellent). Still, pre-ordering at least means you should get your first choice. I'd go for the lamb and look forward to seeing whether or not it's palatable.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 3:25 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze
My experience with pre ordering last month wasn't good!

Hubby and I had both pre ordered our meals (flying upper deck J), and I was still asked for my choice by the cabin crew as they were coming round asking everyone their choice. I told her that I had pre ordered the beef, and that hubby (in the loo) had ordered the fish, and she seemed a bit taken aback... Checked her list again and yes our choices had been listed.

Why hadn't she checked the list for pre orders before coming round asking? Who knows, but it didn't inspire confidence!
Old Aug 25, 2015, 3:55 am

Programs: BAEC
I prefer the excitememt and surprise of seeing the menu on board, so won't be pre-ordering.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 4:10 am

Programs: Iron Maiden FC, GE, Rapidly falling down the Tiers to oblivion.
With all due respect to the very good points raised above, may I suggest we keep the discussion in this thread to the actual dish choices and experience of such rather than the process itself (even though i did mention such myself...cough cough)? I think this thread is better for that (although i do see discussion of the dishes in the below as well):

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...ov-2014-a.html

Apologies to the mods (and everyone else) if I am out of line!

Last edited by jcm9000; Aug 25, 2015 at 4:18 am
Old Aug 25, 2015, 5:15 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by jcm9000
With all due respect to the very good points raised above, may I suggest we keep the discussion in this thread to the actual dish choices and experience of such rather than the process itself (even though i did mention such myself...cough cough)? I think this thread is better for that (although i do see discussion of the dishes in the below as well):

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...ov-2014-a.html

Apologies to the mods (and everyone else) if I am out of line!
If not the ordering process, isn't the topic for discussion simply main course dishes on the menu in F? (Apologies if I've missed the point and pre-ordered dishes are different from the ones ordered on board).
Old Aug 25, 2015, 5:28 am

Originally Posted by orbitmic

- stir fried prawns in pumpkin sweet corn sauce with garlic scented broccoli, cauliflower and steamed rice
- seared Welsh sea bass and scallops with linguine and fish nage
- Roasted English rack of lamb, shepherd's pie, sauté cabbage, fondant potato, confit carrot and garlic with rosemary jus
- Main course salad of chargrilled chicken with parma ham lardons, Caesar salad, and Caesar dressing
So you have a salad, prawns with rice, and fish with pasta vs rack of lamb AND shepherd's pie. No contest IMO, and I'd be thankful for pre-ordering to be sure I didn't miss out.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 12:08 pm

Programs: BA Gold, LH Senator
Originally Posted by CarolynUK
My experience with pre ordering last month wasn't good!

Hubby and I had both pre ordered our meals (flying upper deck J), and I was still asked for my choice by the cabin crew as they were coming round asking everyone their choice. I told her that I had pre ordered the beef, and that hubby (in the loo) had ordered the fish, and she seemed a bit taken aback... Checked her list again and yes our choices had been listed.

Why hadn't she checked the list for pre orders before coming round asking? Who knows, but it didn't inspire confidence!
During our last flight (first one with pre-ordered food) cabin crew remarked we had pre-orderd and asked if we'd like to stick with our pre-ordered choice. We did. Don't know if we really could have chosen something else at this moment.
Old Sep 6, 2015, 5:09 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Brilliant thread. To improve its visibility, I've added a link to the dashboard

Old Sep 6, 2015, 5:38 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Prospero
Brilliant thread. To improve its visibility, I've added a link to the dashboard

Thanks that's a brilliant idea!! ^ Indeed, I hope more people come with their experiences, queries, and dilemmas, together we all have a remarkable expertise in many of BA's regular main courses and I'm sure we can all help each other make the best choice!
Old Sep 16, 2015, 6:10 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
I normally don't look at the menu for a flight (excluding those on AA!!) until I'm aboard. I needed to make a change to a booking and thought I'd sneak a peak. I'll be on the A380 to LAX this month and the menu offerings are:

• Seared fillet of Aberdeen Angus with salt beef croquette and spinach pomme purée, king oyster mushroom, salsify batons, tomato and gherkin jus
  • Seared sustainably sourced North Atlantic cod fillet, flaked salt cod and pistachio and cauliflower couscous with verjus dressing
  • Glazed pork belly, popcorn pork crackling, cocotte potatoes, roasted baby apples and calvados sauce
  • Main course salad of of warm Szechuan chicken with crisp vegetables and a chilli and soy dressing

I'm a fan of the tasting menu on the A380 (subject to finding agreeable items on the menu) and was surprised not to find the tasting menu as an option. Looking at the above I'm not a fan of the cod or pork belly options and I've eaten the Aberdeen Angus dish too many times already. Finger's crossed that the tasting menu is agreeable or it looks like I'm stuck with the Szechuan chicken.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.