Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 14, 2015, 11:21 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: flyoff
The facility to choose your main course meal before you fly (when travelling First, Club World and World Traveller Plus) is available on the following routes on flights departing from London:

London Heathrow to Accra, Amman, Atlanta, Austin, Bahrain, Baltimore, Bangalore, Bangkok, Beijing, Beirut, Boston, Buenos Aires, Cairo, Calgary, Cape Town, Chengdu, Chicago, Dallas, Delhi, Denver, Doha, Dubai, Durban, Hong Kong, Houston, Hyderabad, Jeddah, Johannesburg, Kuala Lumpur, Kuwait, Lagos, Las Vegas, Los Angeles, Madras, Mexico, Miami, Montreal, Mumbai, Muscat, Nairobi, Narita, Nassau, New York (JFK and Newark), Philadelphia, Phoenix, Rio De Janeiro, Riyadh, San Diego, San Francisco, San Jose (California), Sao Paulo, Seattle, Seoul, Shanghai, Singapore, Tehran, Tel Aviv, Tokyo (Haneda and Narita), Toronto, Vancouver, and Washington DC.

London Gatwick to Antigua, Barbados, Bermuda, Cancun, Cape Town, Costa Rica, New York (JFK), Kingston, Lima, Male, Mauritius, Orlando, Punta Cana, Saint Lucia, San Jose (Costa Rica), Tampa, and Trinidad and Tobago

Meal selection will be from the on-board menu; pre-selection is available between 30 days and 24 hours before your flight

Meal selection is only for the main course of the main meal. However, you can click on the menu link to see the full main meal menu.

Starters and desserts cannot be pre-ordered. Items from the second meals cannot be viewed or pre-ordered.

Print Wikipost

The main course pre-order choice thread

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2016, 1:34 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Gold, Virgin FC Red
Can't comment on these bacon rolls. We both had the lamb slider, and to quote the crew 'there's a lot of bread'!
Old Oct 25, 2016, 1:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by essexadventurer
Can't comment on these bacon rolls. We both had the lamb slider, and to quote the crew 'there's a lot of bread'!
yep. The rolls just have even less meat!
Old Oct 25, 2016, 2:19 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by orbitmic
What on earth is that thing about BA and bacon rolls??!

PS: I love a good bacon roll, I have never had one (in fact not even "average" or "ok") on a plane, BA or otherwise
Virgin Atlantic served one in Upper class and it was delicious.
Old Oct 26, 2016, 3:37 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Originally Posted by Choose your main course
Buttered chicken and vegetable sabzi with jeera pilau
Just looking at booking a meal for a flight next week and this is on the menu.

I have no idea what sabzi and jeera are. Maybe I'm just not 'metropolitan Waterside' enough. Why do BA put stuff like this on their menu, without illustration or explanation, that I would wager most of their customers would have to google ?

'Chicken and vegetable sabzi' (as in 'chicken and vegetable stew'), or 'Chicken, with a side of vegetable sabzi' ?

Anyone able to explain what this is ? Is it any good ?
Old Oct 26, 2016, 3:45 am

Programs: BA Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer
Just looking at booking a meal for a flight next week and this is on the menu.

I have no idea what sabzi and jeera are. Maybe I'm just not 'metropolitan Waterside' enough. Why do BA put stuff like this on their menu, without illustration or explanation, that I would wager most of their customers would have to google ?

'Chicken and vegetable sabzi' (as in 'chicken and vegetable stew'), or 'Chicken, with a side of vegetable sabzi' ?

If it were the later, the description would probably read "buttered chicken with vegetable sabzi and jeera pilau". So I take it to mean chicken and vegetables, with a side of jeera (=cumin) rice.

Although as far as I'm aware, "sabzi" actually means vegetables, so technically it's "buttered chicken with vegetable vegetables"!?
Old Oct 26, 2016, 4:09 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer

It's chicken, rice and vegetable curry with sauce in Northern speak.

Here's a photo, this is the LGW version (back in July to Costa Rica), and my attempts to get a LHR version have been foiled by BA repeatedly pushing me into the forward cabin, but I enjoyed this dish, it's got strong flavours whilst being on the mild side of spicy.

EDIT: See also post 615 below.
Attached Images  

Last edited by corporate-wage-slave; Oct 31, 2016 at 8:08 pm
Old Oct 26, 2016, 4:24 am

Programs: BA Gold, Geek platinum
Originally Posted by JustTheOne
Although as far as I'm aware, "sabzi" actually means vegetables, so technically it's "buttered chicken with vegetable vegetables"!?
It's a bit like the American's insistence of saying that things are served "with au jus". It always reminds me of the film Mickey Blue Eyes where the family restaurant is called "The la Trattoria"
Old Oct 26, 2016, 4:59 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
It's chicken, rice and vegetable curry with sauce in Northern speak.

Here's a photo
Thank you. That's not what I envisaged : I was imagining a proper chicken curry with rice and diced/curried veg (a la Waitrose £10 meal deal) rather than an 'Indian-style Sunday Lunch'.

So, dish ordered. I shall endeavour to post a picture.
Old Oct 26, 2016, 8:28 am

Programs: Varies
Thank you. That's not what I envisaged : I was imagining a proper chicken curry with rice and diced/curried veg (a la Waitrose £10 meal deal) rather than an 'Indian-style Sunday Lunch'.

So, dish ordered. I shall endeavour to post a picture.
My partner ordered it on a recent flight and it looked quite different. He wasn't very impressed and said it was tasteless and worse than a supermarket curry - bearing in mind he likes his curry medium to hot.

But his meal definitely didn't look like this photo, so maybe he got something different with the same name.
Old Oct 26, 2016, 8:32 am

Programs: Varies
Originally Posted by orbitmic
What on earth is that thing about BA and bacon rolls??!

PS: I love a good bacon roll, I have never had one (in fact not even "average" or "ok") on a plane, BA or otherwise
A good bacon roll would be my ideal breakfast.

I was hoping the bacon muffin/roll on my recent YVR-LHR flight would be decent, but there was some kind of scrambled egg/omelette thing stuffed in with it. I'm allergic to egg so I had to decline. Flights back from the USA and Canada do seem to be rather egg-centric, when it comes to breakfast.
Old Oct 26, 2016, 8:36 am

Many thanks for the responses, much appreciated.
Old Oct 26, 2016, 10:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by ttama
My partner ordered it on a recent flight and it looked quite different. He wasn't very impressed and said it was tasteless and worse than a supermarket curry - bearing in mind he likes his curry medium to hot.

But his meal definitely didn't look like this photo, so maybe he got something different with the same name.
Could you tell us a bit more about what your partner got? I'm actually hesitating between the butter chicken and the beef fillet with salt beef. If it is like a whole chicken breast as per cws's photo, I'll choose that as I just know that the beef fillet will be overcooked by my taste. However, if it is a diced chicken curry of sorts, I'll probably choose the beef fillet because at least the parsnips and cabbage sound nice.

cws mentioned that his was from LGW so while I assumed we'd get the same from LHR and changed my pre-order from beef to the chicken, I'm now a bit worried that perhaps the LHR version may be quite differently prepared? (I never fly long haul from LGW so I genuinely do not know if they have the same or different catering).
Old Oct 26, 2016, 10:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
reposted later on

Last edited by serfty; Oct 29, 2016 at 3:21 pm
Old Oct 28, 2016, 4:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
BA283 LHR-LAX F - November

Choices below... Any tips ?

Seared Aberdeen Angus beef fillet, Jacobs ladder, artichoke potato dauphinoise, artichoke barigoule and chanterelle mushroom with rosemary jus

Roasted North Atlantic cod with celeriac, cavolo nero, cockle salsa and fresh clams

Roasted corn fed chicken ham hock and potato tartlet, haricot bean purée, runner beans with chicken and truffle jus

Fusilli pasta with Taleggio cheese, herb crème fraîche, girolle mushroom and crisp garlic croutons

Main course salad of seared prawns with red pesto potato, green bean salad and smoked tomato dressing
Old Oct 28, 2016, 4:30 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mikeyfly
Choices below... Any tips ?

Seared Aberdeen Angus beef fillet, Jacobs ladder, artichoke potato dauphinoise, artichoke barigoule and chanterelle mushroom with rosemary jus

Roasted North Atlantic cod with celeriac, cavolo nero, cockle salsa and fresh clams

Roasted corn fed chicken ham hock and potato tartlet, haricot bean purée, runner beans with chicken and truffle jus

Fusilli pasta with Taleggio cheese, herb crème fraîche, girolle mushroom and crisp garlic croutons

Main course salad of seared prawns with red pesto potato, green bean salad and smoked tomato dressing
I had the cod in the past - the fish is often my default choice of main in the F menu. This one was one of the most forgettable ones if still ok.

I've not had the pasta but saw it and it looked unpleasantly heavy to me (not a surprise given the description in fairness).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.