Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

New Boarding Process- has anyone noticed an improvement?

New Boarding Process- has anyone noticed an improvement?

Old Aug 18, 2015, 6:12 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
I agree, a significant part of this will be educating pax.
Old Aug 18, 2015, 6:46 am

Programs: BA Gold, Flying Blue Gold, Starwoods Gold
They announced the new Boarding procedure at DUB this morning for the LCY then LHR flight. For LCY passengers seemed to follow it, for my flight to LHR there was already 30+ people who just boarded regardless, i could see some were in ET and no status on their boarding pass - seems the gate staff just let them through.

On a flight to NCL last week they were turning people away from the fasttrack queue though - perhaps this will be enforced harder at LHR? Will see on my flight to JFK later.
Old Aug 18, 2015, 6:53 am

Programs: Some
I congratulate BA on the improved boarding system and the attempt to provide something of value to premium passengers in particular which helps to justify CE (let's hope that they do now enforce this going forward!), but I still feel like the system is slightly broken for shorthaul when priority boarding is offered as a prize.

If in CE, I'd ideally like to spend as little time with my legs rammed into 31 inches of legroom as possible, rather than boarding first! Given there's no pre-departure beverage in CE, it seems the only rewards you get with priority boarding are avoiding a possibly long queue and ensuring that your hand luggage has space, which really should be guaranteed for CE passengers anyway. Would much rather BA properly policed people outside CE placing baggage in the CE cabin and so allowed CE passengers to board as late as possible without having to worry their baggage won't fit in the lockers.

Last edited by lost_in_translation; Aug 18, 2015 at 7:27 am
Old Aug 18, 2015, 7:15 am

Programs: BAEC , M&M , VIRGIN FC , FLYING BLUE
Originally Posted by Barnaby100
Flew from LBA at 9.30 am. Plane was heaving. No seating by rows. I asked the cabin crew- apparently 'the memo must not have hit the provinces yet"

Didn't hear any priority boarding call but there may have been one. They were yellow tagging bags as usual there. Some disquiet as people with only 1 bag were having it yellow tagged and in some cases these were pretty big bags (including a trunki).
why on earth are they yellow ticketing people with just one bag
Old Aug 18, 2015, 7:20 am

Flew from LBA at 9.30 am. Plane was heaving. No seating by rows. I asked the cabin crew- apparently 'the memo must not have hit the provinces yet"
The new instructions were only issued to the out stations last week. And they're not very clear in what they're asking the ground staff to do.

The instructions state where possible, people with one bag are to be tagged too.
Old Aug 18, 2015, 7:47 am

Programs: DC *S
As someone who is 6'3 with size 15 feet, I would not be happy if BA tried to tag my smallish rucksack. There is barely room for my feet let alone a bag containgtng pc, tablets etc. I have escaped so far.
Old Aug 18, 2015, 9:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by A P Yu
Isnt today the first official day of it? If so its probably a little early to judge.
Yes, but don't forget that there's a prize for being the first person to start a new thread on every subject.
Old Aug 18, 2015, 11:36 am
Ziz

Programs: BA Silver
At DUB last week, they were yellow tagging. I said I was in a bulkhead row and they accepted that and passed me by. Didn't ask to look at my BP or anything to verify. I suppose you can't expect every gate agent to memorize the exit/bulkhead rows but people could get around the system by claiming they were in an exit row.
Old Aug 18, 2015, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by jacobitetraveller
Because the new system is so absurd that in theory, only a yellow tagged bag is guaranteed to be kept in the cabin. In other words, if they did not yellow tagged your only bag you risk that it theoretically be "selected" to be put in the hold. Kafka Airways anyone...
Old Aug 18, 2015, 11:57 am

The guy in front of me had one of those rucksacks with wheels. It was yellow tagged and his only bag. He made a half hearted attempt to get it into the overhead but the bag was quite empty and I think a bit long. The overhead just needed organising as some bags were in sideways. The stewardess came up to him and said something about yellow tagged and under the seat which he did.
Old Aug 18, 2015, 1:30 pm
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
No. Worse if anything.
Old Aug 18, 2015, 2:51 pm

Programs: None anymore
The new boarding signs have been in place at MAN for a couple of weeks. So far, the only difference I have noticed is that they start boarding much earlier than before. Previously it was 20-30 mins prior to departure time, now it's 45 mins! Boarding was completed 20 mins prior to scheduled departure time this morning. That doesn't happen at LHR!
Old Aug 18, 2015, 2:56 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
I was flying from BSL last week where they've been using the new process for a little while. I joined the Gold / CE queue at the end and someone in front of me was very publicly sent to the back of the silver queue by the agent, after which someone else came chugging up the Gold line only to be told in no uncertain terms to get back by other passengers waiting in the silver line.
Old Aug 18, 2015, 3:49 pm

The new boarding signs have been in place at MAN for a couple of weeks. So far, the only difference I have noticed is that they start boarding much earlier than before. Previously it was 20-30 mins prior to departure time, now it's 45 mins! Boarding was completed 20 mins prior to scheduled departure time this morning. That doesn't happen at LHR!
MAN hasn't received any new signs yet. 45 mins early for boarding will only happen if the crew arrive nice and early for a first wave departure but generally, 30mins is the norm for the first departure plus using back steps makes the boarding process approx 2 1/2 time quicker.
Old Aug 18, 2015, 3:53 pm

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
LHR T5 had the new signs on Friday last week, but the usual process was being used.

The lady at check in was saying that they were trying to enforce the new bag rules already last week, with various travellers forcing their second bag into the gauge and then being unable to get them out again!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.