Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Royal Aeronautical Society talks at Waterside

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 21, 2016, 3:25 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Globaliser
Next event: Dr Stephen Liddle CEng FRAeS, Formula 1 Aerodynamics: Modelling for Performance

Thursday 8 February 2018, British Airways Waterside Theatre

The RAeS Heathrow Branch welcomes Dr Stephen Liddle, Principal Aerodynamicist of Renault Sport Racing, as the speaker for the February 2018 lecture. Addressing the importance of aerodynamics in Formula 1 racing as well as the problems encountered and their solutions, the talk will also cover the modelling technologies and techniques used, such as wind tunnel testing, computational fluid dynamics (CFD) and simulation.

More details | To register (registration required in advance to gain access to Waterside)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Following event: Prof Guy Gratton CEng FRAeS, Past, Present and Future of Atmospheric Research Flying in the UK

Thursday 12 April 2018, British Airways Waterside Theatre

A lecture by Prof Guy Gratton CEng FRAeS held at the RAeS Heathrow branch focusing on Past, Present and Future of Atmospheric Research Flying in the UK.

More details | To register (registration required in advance to gain access to Waterside)
Print Wikipost

Royal Aeronautical Society talks at Waterside

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2016, 7:49 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by St Elmos Fire
I was interested in the March talk about the Solena synthetic fuels project which is now all but cancelled following the bankruptcy of the partner company in the USA, and rather public condemnation of the government by BA for their scrapping of the project (bit of IAG political opportunism there methinks!)

http://www.theguardian.com/environme...-fuels-project

I've met Jim Davies professionally on a number of occasions, very engaging and switched on guy; perhaps this talk might now address a broader range of fuel-related topics, efficiency, oil price, alternative fuels, strategy, hedging, government strategy, taxation, support for this sort of project... Well I'd be interested anyway!

And why aren't fuel surcharges being discontinued on award bookings ;-)

I'm certainly interested to see how this one plays out - no abstract online at the moment, but I hope they go ahead with the talk and tackle some of broader issues as you suggest (as well as an overview of what went wrong with Solena).
Old Jan 27, 2016, 7:51 am
Original Poster

There will be a talk on Thursday, 11th Feb:

The lecture is entitled 'The Hybrid Air Vehicles Airlander” and will be given by David Stewart, Head of Flight Sciences at Hybrid Air Vehicles Limited.
It starts at 18:15 in the Community Learning Centre, at BA Waterside, UB7 0GA. (This postcode works for most GPS).
More details are here.

Note that this one is not in Waterside. You will need to register by the 9th; there is a new web-based system for this which can be found here.
Old Mar 2, 2016, 7:32 am
Original Poster

There will be a talk on Thursday, March 10th; as suspected the topic has broadened a bit!

Airlines – tackling the Climate Change Challenge

Much has been reported in the media of the alleged effects of aviation on climate change and the resulting impacts on air travel.

Jonathan Counsell, formerly the Head of Environment for British Airways and now Head of Sustainability for International Airlines Group will outline in his lecture the critical importance of addressing climate change if the industry wants to grow, including an update on role of new aircraft and future innovative technology as well as biofuels and improved air traffic control procedures. He will also update on the targets IAG has set for itself and give an insight into how the group is doing on delivering to these targets.

Finally, the talk will cover the importance of the recent Paris Climate Change summit held in Dec 2015.
The talk will be held in the community learning centre. If you wish to attend, please register by Tuesday 8th march.
Old Mar 3, 2016, 5:13 pm

Possibility of Podcast?

I'm very interested in this upcoming talk, however unfortunatly I am unable to come down to London on weekdays. Flying Doc, you wouldn't know if these talks are recorded and made publically available would you, as I think that this would be benificial to those unable to attend and would also captivate a wider audience
Old Mar 8, 2016, 7:31 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RascoFlyer
I'm very interested in this upcoming talk, however unfortunatly I am unable to come down to London on weekdays. Flying Doc, you wouldn't know if these talks are recorded and made publically available would you, as I think that this would be benificial to those unable to attend and would also captivate a wider audience
I've checked and unfortunately there's no possibility of a recording, whether official or by me! However I imagine I can get away with pen-and-paper notes so will endeavour to report back.
Old Sep 2, 2016, 7:57 am
Original Poster

The 2016/17 season will start next week on Thurs 8th September, with the following talk:

SAFE EVACUATION FROM AIRCRAFT- THE APPLICATION OF FIRE AND EVACUATION SIMULATION TO AIRCRAFT DESIGN, CERTIFICATION AND ACCIDENT INVESTIGATION

The RAeS Heathrow Branch September 2016 lecture will demonstrate the use of fire and evacuation modelling in aircraft design and certification applications. Several example applications will be provided to illustrate the techniques including design analysis for a Blended Wing Body passenger aircraft and certification analysis of a VIP configured B747.

Finally, the techniques will be used in a forensic analysis of the fatal Manchester Airport B737 fire from 1985 which resulted in the loss of 55 lives. Thirty years after the incident, fire and evacuation modelling has advanced to the point where it is possible to reconstruct the accident and examine the factors that contributed to the large loss of life. In this presentation coupled fire and evacuation simulation are used to investigate the impact of door opening times on evacuation and survivability.
This year, all talks will be at Waterside; therefore, you must register by Tuesday to ensure you're on the list to get past security. To do so, or for more details, see the branch webpage.
Old Sep 2, 2016, 8:22 am

Programs: LH FTL, BA Silver, Thameslink Delay Repay
I shall see you there, TheFlyingDoctor - can finally make it again this time!

Maybe we can assemble a slightly larger FT contingent this time? It's worth it for the inside view of Waterworld alone!
Old Sep 2, 2016, 8:53 am

Programs: BA Gold
Signed up, looks interesting (and the added benefit of having a rubberneck around BAHQ!) Thanks for the heads up
Old Oct 11, 2016, 9:45 am
Original Poster

Exclamation

This Thursday's talk (6pm onwards, Waterside theatre) will be RECOLLECTIONS OF A BUSH PILOT by Captain Paul Catanach, Line Training Captain, TAG Aviation (UK) Ltd:

The October lecture promises to be a hugely entertaining evening. The guest speaker, Paul Catanach is currently a serious commercial UK pilot with a great sense of humour and a superb story to tell about his earlier life and adventures as a bush pilot in Australia. Bashing around the bush in a series of clapped-out aircraft, he carried freight both night and day the length and breadth of the Northern Territory experiencing the delights and perils of the NT’s two seasons, the Dry and the Wet.

Despite the best efforts of passengers, live freight, other pilots and wildlife he survived several years of being a bush pilot. Paul will come along with some Australian native artefacts to help illustrate the talk, people and places he has encountered - for us a real insight into the Antipodean sense of humour.
I think you're supposed to register by the Tuesday before, which is, erm, today. But I can't spot a mention of that so perhaps the new booking system is faster. The booking page is here. Hopefully see some of you there!
Old Oct 25, 2016, 1:14 pm
Original Poster

The next talk, on Thursday 10th of November, will be by Tony Gaunt on the history and development of Martin-Baker

The November lecture will take you on a fascinating journey of the origin and developments of a company that for over 67 years has been the undisputed world leader in the design and manufacture of ejection seats: Martin Baker, an international lifesaving synonym. To date, Martin-Baker ejection seats have ensured the safety of 7,497 pilots in 93 Air Forces around the world, of which 3,492 are U.S. Service-members.

Martin-Baker was founded on August 19, 1929, by 37-year-old James Martin. He invented and developed the first ejection seats in 1944-6. Since its inception, the company has recorded details of every emergency ejection. It has notes—some very detailed—on practically every successful ejection to date, as well as on some of the unsuccessful minority. From the outset of the business Sir James Martin urged his designers and craftsmen to learn lessons if possible from every ejection. This ethos helped build a world class company that has kept its preeminent place in the industry throughout the years.
As usual, it'll be in the theatre at Waterside, starting around 6pm. For details and to register, check here
Old Oct 26, 2016, 4:29 am

Programs: LH FTL, BA Silver, Thameslink Delay Repay
Sadly I missed the last one because I was off sick, and won't be able to make this one either. But I'll definitely be around for the 8th December one!
Old Dec 6, 2016, 4:18 am

Programs: BA Gold
The next lecture on Development of aircraft simulation is this Thursday 8th December - register by end of today. I'm able to make this one after being away for the last couple

In the RAeS Heathrow Branch December lecture, Captain Hugh Dibley will present the developments of aircraft simulation as an essential part of training and even aircraft design. He will describe the operational capabilities of the latest visual and motion systems, which are today being applied not only to aircraft simulators but to ground vehicles, naval and space ship simulators.

Captain Dibley will use current examples of the technologies involved in delivering high quality FSTD training. Aircraft and their environment are growing ever more complex and the technologies used to simulate them and provide training are constantly evolving. Simulation offers a safe environment for practising system failures, abnormal weather, traffic and terrain avoidance, and virtual operation at any airfield in the world.

Captain Dibley will also talk about the Airbus ‘iron bird’ systems integration and test bench and show a video of the first flight of the A380, ‘Reality on 27 April 2005’, where virtual becomes reality as the simulation is put onto the aircraft itself to carry out the validation and integration of the systems at aircraft level. His talk will conclude with a section on Space Flight Tourism Simulation where prospective passengers can experience up to 4 G during acceleration and deceleration prior to their space flight!
Booking page here
Old Dec 8, 2016, 8:10 am

Programs: bmi DC, BAEC
How to get to Waterside by public transport ?

Originally Posted by Doccykins
The next lecture on Development of aircraft simulation is this Thursday 8th December - register by end of today. I'm able to make this one after being away for the last couple

Booking page here
I'm registered to go this evening.

TfL journey planner is giving a painful routing from central London (via T5). Is there any special way / BA staff bus we can use ?!

Thanks
Old Dec 8, 2016, 10:52 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
You'd need an invitation letter to use the BA staff buses, issued by Waterside staff via an agency. They're intended for people visiting on official business with the staff member, so I doubt you'll be able to use them for the talks.

A taxi could certainly at least reach the security barriers, from where it's a fairly short walk, even if it couldn't get access to the main complex.
Old Dec 8, 2016, 2:10 pm

Programs: bmi DC, BAEC
Originally Posted by NWIFlyer
You'd need an invitation letter to use the BA staff buses, issued by Waterside staff via an agency. They're intended for people visiting on official business with the staff member, so I doubt you'll be able to use them for the talks.

A taxi could certainly at least reach the security barriers, from where it's a fairly short walk, even if it couldn't get access to the main complex.
Cheers.

I got lucky with the 350 bus!

And the walk from the bus stop to Waterside is much quicker than JourneyPlanner suggests !

I made it on time

Good talk - worth the trek !

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.