Wiki Posts
Search

QF operated by EK questions

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2015, 5:12 am
Original Poster

QF operated by EK questions

A quick couple of questions:

Booking QF LHR-BNE and MEL-LHR. Part of the trip is codeshared on EK.

1. Will I earn tier points on all sectors?
2. As a BA silver member, do I use the QF lounges in transit even though the next leg would be on EK?

Thanks!
Old Aug 13, 2015, 10:35 am

Programs: Lots of faux metal
Where are you planning to credit the flights? The flights will credit to QF and AA. I don't know about BA.
Old Aug 13, 2015, 11:00 am
Original Poster

I will credit my BAEC account.

From what I have now found out, I should get credited for every sector.

OW have now become so stingy though that I will get less than half the TPs I would have gotten seeing as they no longer credit all the TPs regardless of the ticket class. Looks like I need to buy a Y, B or H class of ticket to get full TPs.

I assume I can still use the lounge on the sectors that are operated by EK, but still ticketed by QF?

Last edited by PAL62V; Aug 13, 2015 at 11:05 am
Old Aug 13, 2015, 11:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by simon1234567
I will credit my BAEC account.

From what I have now found out, I should get credited for every sector.

OW have now become so stingy though that I will get less than half the TPs I would have gotten seeing as they no longer credit all the TPs regardless of the ticket class. Looks like I need to buy a Y, B or H class of ticket to get full TPs.

I assume I can still use the lounge on the sectors that are operated by EK, but still ticketed by QF?
Your questions about tier points and avios would be better addressed in the BA forum. There are no oneworld rules that govern the individual airline program reward programs -- each oneworld member sets their own rules for earning status and credits in their program.
BAEC made a change awhile back allowing tier points to be earned on QF codeshares operated by EK (previously only avios could be earned). See these threads in the BA forum:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...-points-2.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...t-miles-2.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...codeshare.html

Whose lounges are wanting to use? What class are you flying? Under oneworld lounge access rules you are not entitled to access based upon your oneworld sapphire status as the flight you want access for has to be marketed and operated by a oneworld airline.. See:
oneworld lounge access for frequent flyers by tier status

Enjoy exclusive access to premium airport lounges around the world with oneworld Emerald or Sapphire frequent flyer tier status. Members of oneworld airline frequent flyer programmes with the equivalent of oneworld Emerald or Sapphire tier status can use lounges offered by oneworld airlines when departing on any flight marketed and operated by any oneworld member airline, regardless of cabin class being flown (exceptions are noted below).
Emerald tier frequent flyers can use First Class, Business Class or frequent flyer lounges.
Sapphire tier frequent flyers are welcome in Business Class* or frequent flyer lounges. (*does not include Qantas Domestic Business Lounges)
Emerald and Sapphire members may invite one guest to join them in the lounge. The guest must also be travelling on a flight operated and marketed by a oneworld carrier.
You must be prepared to show your boarding pass and frequent flyer membership card, with oneworld Emerald or Sapphire tier status, to access a lounge.

The following exceptions apply:
1. American Airlines, US Airways and Qantas offer programmes enabling customers to pay to gain access to their lounges. These programmes are not part of the oneworld agreement, and members of these programmes are not entitled to access lounges under the oneworld agreement.
2. American Airlines AAdvantage® members and US Airways Dividend Miles members, regardless of their tier status or class of travel, are not eligible for lounge access when travelling solely on North American flights within or between the U.S., Canada, Mexico (except Mexico City), the Bahamas, Bermuda and the Caribbean. For more information, visit, http://www.aa.com/i18n/travelInforma...miralsClub.jsp and http://www.usairways.com/en-US/trave...b/default.html
3. Qantas Frequent Flyer Gold members, regardless of their oneworld tier status, cannot access Qantas Domestic Business Lounges.
4. Qatar Airways Al Safwa and Al Mourjan lounges at Hamad International Airport in Doha and Qatar Airways Premium Lounge at London Heathrow Terminal 4 are excluded.
http://www.oneworld.com/ffp/lounge-access

See also:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...tes-metal.html

There are some threads in the QF forum that discuss QF having a special accommodation with EK to accept oneworld sapphires and emeralds that are traveling on a QF codeshare of EK metal to use the EK lounges. See:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qanta...sapphires.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qanta...ge-access.html
Old Aug 13, 2015, 11:49 am
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
Originally Posted by jerry a. laska
Your questions about tier points and avios would be better addressed in the BA forum.
Which is where I'm moving this.

Gardyloo
Oneworld moderator
Old Aug 13, 2015, 1:18 pm

You will earn both Avios and Tier Points on QF-coded but EK-operated flights as per BA's flight earnings chart for Qantas.
Executive Club Members can collect Avios on the following flights: [...]
- flights marketed by Qantas or Qantas Airlines affiliates and operated by Qantas, a Qantas Affiliate, BA, another oneworld carrier, or another third party under a codeshare agreement
Assuming you're connecting in DXB, Qantas use Emirates' T3 Concourse A there, meaning that the lounges will be EK-operated. Travelling on QF flights, oneworld status for lounge access should be honoured, but I'm not sure what the policy is when EK flights come into the mix on the same ticket. Other airline lounges, including BA's, are in concourse C and there are Priority Pass options throughout.

You may want to be aware of some of the dangers of booking QF codeshares on EK, but I would imagine that the problems retold in that thread wouldn't apply so much at DXB since it's Qantas' hub for European flights.

Last edited by notforfooduse; Aug 13, 2015 at 1:27 pm
Old Aug 13, 2015, 1:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
What is the flight code and who is the operating carrier? The way I am reading your OP, you will get neither Avios nor TPs.
Old Aug 13, 2015, 2:25 pm

Programs: BA Gold
If a QF coded flight but on EK metal, you will get TP and Avios.

If EK coded, you won't
Old Aug 13, 2015, 5:42 pm
Original Poster

It's QF coded. I rang BA and finally got a straight answer today. They will credit both TPs and Avios, although at the lower fare class it's much lower than I would have had a year ago.

Thanks for all the info. Looks like the lounge is out when waiting for the sector being operated by EK. Bummer.

Great info here folks - I don't think I could have found all that out searching all day!
Old Aug 13, 2015, 6:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by simon1234567
It's QF coded. I rang BA and finally got a straight answer today. They will credit both TPs and Avios, although at the lower fare class it's much lower than I would have had a year ago
When you buy a QF marketed flight QF buys avois (from BAEC) and rewards (bribes) you with these for flying QF. Part of the cash transaction from QF to BA will have a contribution for status earning/status bonus obligation. BA will known how much $$ they get from QF (over a year) have how many avois/tier points they allocate out to the punters for QF marketed flights. IF QF wanted to bribe you with a squillion avios for a economy UK-Aussie flight they could (but would need to pay BAEC a lot of cash). Is all about the money.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.