Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Different definitions of the expression Business Class

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Different definitions of the expression Business Class

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2015, 12:30 am

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
AA fly an ancient 757 between MAN and JFK. The ORD service isn't daily during the winter.
It's been a 767 for a few months, the change is supposedly permanent but we'll see come the winter. Ditto for ORD.
Old Aug 5, 2015, 12:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by binman
I would accept that London is competitive but BA has a strangle hold on LHR which is simply unhealthy and uncompetitive.
What sort of stranglehold do you mean? Is it that BA has too high a percentage of the slots at LHR?
Old Aug 5, 2015, 1:04 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, HH Diamond.
Originally Posted by IAN-UK
Sadly, not all of us have LHR/LGW as our local airports. And not all visitors to the UK are heading for the South-East. (I know it might be hard to imagine from Herts ... )

So journeys from and to Edinburgh, Manchester (and a couple of other places ...) require a PITA connection through LHR if they're to be made on BA.

Many find the PITA less acute, and the fare friendlier, if they fly through FRA, AMS (and a couple of other places ...). Now Qatar has extended its network to the provinces of our nation, and people are finding it all rather nice to be pampered just a little - especially when they look at BA's fares.
I agree, was just helping my boss book a trip to HKG/TPE, BA around £5000 from LHR, whilst from Germany £1800, Also Emirates £2200.(all paid business)

Ba's product is not cutting edge anymore, to say the least.

but my last 20-30 flights have been between 90-100% full. So understandably BA are not going to invest heavily when they dont need to.

Also you mentioned Edinburgh and manchester, Ive not heard of those small provincial towns?
Old Aug 5, 2015, 1:19 am

Programs: BA GGL (for now) and Lifetime Gold, Marriott fan thanks to Bonvoy Moments
Originally Posted by Cymro
Do they?

QR's employment conditions and cost base are much more favourable to the airline than BA's ever could be, and given BA's recent financials I think BA is quite happy with the levels of service it's providing and the revenues it can command for them.
I agree on the employee cost base - but what proportion of cost base would this be:
- aircraft should be give or take the same (though recognise geography may provide some utilisation benefits on certain routes)
- fuel ditto
- landing charges ditto
- catering etc.

I'd (generally) be interested to understand how much of a cost advantage the ME3 really have (absent claims of Government subsidisation etc.)

Using wildly random numbers let's say LHR-HKG costs £8,000 for cabin crew and £20,000 for the pilots - even at 50% the saving is 'only' £14,000 - £20 per person in WT / WTP and £100-150 for CW / F? (I could be miles off of course - but thought I'd provoke / stimulate discussion!)
Old Aug 5, 2015, 1:40 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by lorcancoyle
I agree on the employee cost base - but what proportion of cost base would this be:
- aircraft should be give or take the same (though recognise geography may provide some utilisation benefits on certain routes)
- fuel ditto
- landing charges ditto
- catering etc.

I'd (generally) be interested to understand how much of a cost advantage the ME3 really have (absent claims of Government subsidisation etc.)

Using wildly random numbers let's say LHR-HKG costs £8,000 for cabin crew and £20,000 for the pilots - even at 50% the saving is 'only' £14,000 - £20 per person in WT / WTP and £100-150 for CW / F? (I could be miles off of course - but thought I'd provoke / stimulate discussion!)
You would also need to factor in all ground crew working for the airline at their hub. Even if subcontracted, must be a cheaper deal in the Middle East. I'd imagine fuelling is cheaper too, but I could be wrong.
Old Aug 5, 2015, 2:05 am

Programs: BA GGL (for now) and Lifetime Gold, Marriott fan thanks to Bonvoy Moments
Originally Posted by Flythe96flag
You would also need to factor in all ground crew working for the airline at their hub. Even if subcontracted, must be a cheaper deal in the Middle East. I'd imagine fuelling is cheaper too, but I could be wrong.
Fair point - seem to recall Qantas outsourcing maintenance (of trying to) a few years back and getting a lot of grief at home for it. Another Irish CEO there of course!
Old Aug 5, 2015, 2:07 am

Programs: Seniors Bus Pass
I recently had to get a single from NBO to LHR. I found the WTP fare for the direct overnight flight was £15 cheaper than the cost of the EK F suite. I had a good sleep albeit in two parts as I connected through DXB and found it a not unpleasant experience. So did it again last week, although the price differential had changed.

It was a different experience. What the OP was getting at was that the variety may influence future decisions. It has mine. On the domestic flight, the very uncomfortable new Pinnacle seating has changed my plans too!

Just my 2p. It might not suit everyone.
Old Aug 5, 2015, 7:56 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by KARFA
Didn't it change to a 767 back in March? Is that a permanent change or just for the summer.

http://www.businesstraveller.com/new...eat-coming-to-
Looks like it goes back to a 757 - I checked some random dates in January.
Old Aug 5, 2015, 8:03 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
Looks like it goes back to a 757 - I checked some random dates in January.
Ah ok. Shame about that. My first ever longhaul experience was in the AA 757 from MAN-JFK in Y. It wasn't great.
Old Aug 5, 2015, 8:19 am

Programs: KE MC Premium, BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, AZ FA+, Melia Gold
I've just done a ton of flying around Latin America in J and it was interesting as a comparison to BA.

The AM 777 product is extremely poor, but both legs on the 787 were excellent, great seat. AM is slammed for its crews but they were polite and efficient. Priority boarding was enforced and well organised in every airport. Food made no attempt at being restaurant quality, but was still good. Service was fast maximising sleep time. AM shouldn't be an airline that's beating BA on service, but it was significantly better than my recent BA flights (minus the 777).

Also was on an AR regional J, very similar set up to CE, empty middle seat. Again, service was efficient and the food good (although no options). Planes on both airlines were spotless.

Flights on LAN were also good, and got Emerald recognition which I haven't had on BA ever!

I guess in my mind BA shouldn't be being beaten by these airlines. I'm sitting in new IB J on the A340 now, and it's streets ahead of CW. IB have upped their game significantly on service as well.

BA has some of the best crew going, but the investment in them is lacking, as is the investment in the product that is badly needed.

So why do I still fly mostly BA? Crew, and convenience. Ultimately they have a far better schedule out of LHR than most competitors. I also don't think the CW seat is bad, however its showing its age.
Old Aug 5, 2015, 11:43 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

AR are on target to lose over 600 million dollars this year, double the amount they lost last year. So probably not a good example to use when making comparisons. Their fares aren't exactly cheap either.

Which AR route did you fly and what did the meal consist of?
Old Aug 5, 2015, 12:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Cymro
QR's employment conditions and cost base are much more favourable to the airline than BA's ever could be
I don't think QR is that efficient cost-wise. Besides, they only need to provide a net benefit to the country as a whole for their shareholders to be happy. BA on the other hand need to make a profit from airline operations alone.
Old Aug 5, 2015, 4:21 pm

Programs: KE MC Premium, BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, AZ FA+, Melia Gold
Originally Posted by HIDDY
AR are on target to lose over 600 million dollars this year, double the amount they lost last year. So probably not a good example to use when making comparisons. Their fares aren't exactly cheap either.

Which AR route did you fly and what did the meal consist of?
The comparison was more about service than profitability - the meal was a simple pasta dish, and the route was LIM-EZE. AR's product was probably inferior to the (old) CE product, but the service (priority boarding, PDB, status recognition) was significantly better. These are not things that cost - it's just a case of implementing the right procedures and attitude among staff (which in BA's case means treating your staff fairly).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.