Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Have the rules for GUF redemption changed?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2015, 6:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL (but soon to lose the GL :-(), IHG Spire Amb, Hilton Dmnd (and pleb/pleb-plus in 1001 others)
Have the rules for GUF redemption changed?

I was just looking for something else entirely on ba.com but ended up reading the GUF T&Cs at https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...pgradevouchers.

Its always been my understanding that to use a GUF there needed to be award availability (except for TA bookings where the GUF was applied at the time of booking). Indeed this is the only way I have ever used one previously. However the T&Cs linked to above make absolutely no mention of this, and were I to be reading them with no prior knowledge then I would understand that any ticket can be upgraded without any consideration for award seats.

These particular T&Cs apparently came in when everything changed back in February. Could it really be the case that a genuine enhancement has gone un-noticed by everyone here for the last 6 months, or is it just a glaring omission from the T&Cs?
Old Aug 4, 2015, 6:20 am

Programs: BA Executive Club and OnBusiness
Originally Posted by flibbly
I was just looking for something else entirely on ba.com but ended up reading the GUF T&Cs at https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...pgradevouchers.

Its always been my understanding that to use a GUF there needed to be award availability (except for TA bookings where the GUF was applied at the time of booking). Indeed this is the only way I have ever used one previously. However the T&Cs linked to above make absolutely no mention of this, and were I to be reading them with no prior knowledge then I would understand that any ticket can be upgraded without any consideration for award seats.

These particular T&Cs apparently came in when everything changed back in February. Could it really be the case that a genuine enhancement has gone un-noticed by everyone here for the last 6 months, or is it just a glaring omission from the T&Cs?
I think point 12 indicates that Reward availability is required:

12. Gold Upgrade vouchers are not an entitlement to travel and are subject to reward capacity restrictions.
Old Aug 4, 2015, 6:31 am

Programs: BA Gold
Specifically reward capacity in the class of travel you wish to upgrade to, not the one you are upgrading from.
Old Aug 4, 2015, 8:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL (but soon to lose the GL :-(), IHG Spire Amb, Hilton Dmnd (and pleb/pleb-plus in 1001 others)
Originally Posted by Ned1968
I think point 12 indicates that Reward availability is required:

12. Gold Upgrade vouchers are not an entitlement to travel and are subject to reward capacity restrictions.
Doh! Missed that one.
Old Nov 2, 2015, 9:00 pm

Programs: BA GGL & GfL, AA LTP, Marriott (sigh) Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
so i am totally new to the GUF system after a decade with AA. i just tried to use one last week on a DEN-LHR-DEN CW ticket.

at the time of booking i asked and was told that i could use it on the outbound where it was available and IF it opened on the return i would be able to use the same "certificate" as it applies to both sectors, pending availability.

i just called the HK call center since award space opened on the return but was told by them that i am completely wrong in what i stated i was told.

so you guys are the experts--was i misinformed at the time of booking? or was the HK agent perhaps relying on localized program rules which i know can vary sometimes.
Old Nov 3, 2015, 12:24 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by VSLover
i just called the HK call center since award space opened on the return but was told by them that i am completely wrong in what i stated i was told.
Unless there's some significant factor missing, this looks incorrect to me. It's quite normal to book GUF one way in the first instance, and then add the return later.
Old Nov 3, 2015, 6:03 am

thank you--i stayed awake until 2am for the UK line to open and you are correct where the HK line was not: the one "certificate" did in fact apply to the outbound and return. phew!
Old Nov 3, 2015, 7:36 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
thank you--i stayed awake until 2am for the UK line to open and you are correct where the HK line was not: the one "certificate" did in fact apply to the outbound and return. phew!
I continue to find it frustrating how many agents do not know the rules and that if not fully briefed before calling you can end up hearing all sorts of nonsense. This no longer only applies to the agents in Bremen. My last run-in was a very British accent on the UK Gold line, who tried to convince me that AB offered no FAO-MUC availability that I was seeing online with BA and AA at the very same moment. It's like they sometimes simply can't be bothered. Needless to say, availability magically appeared a couple of minutes later.
Old Nov 3, 2015, 7:44 am

Originally Posted by Tafflyer
I continue to find it frustrating how many agents do not know the rules and that if not fully briefed before calling you can end up hearing all sorts of nonsense. This no longer only applies to the agents in Bremen. My last run-in was a very British accent on the UK Gold line, who tried to convince me that AB offered no FAO-MUC availability that I was seeing online with BA and AA at the very same moment. It's like they sometimes simply can't be bothered. Needless to say, availability magically appeared a couple of minutes later.
i can understand the frustration but i know it is not unique to BA. what is frustrating is the lack of a 24hr call line and you need to find an office in hong kong open at 9pm nyc time. then you finally get through to someone who is confronted with potentially specialized regional BAEC rules, and who is simply unable to help. that is inexcusable for a global airline as large as BA. especially in context of AA where you can always take comfort someone will answer when you are traveling anywhere in the world.
Old Nov 3, 2015, 11:02 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
i can understand the frustration but i know it is not unique to BA. what is frustrating is the lack of a 24hr call line and you need to find an office in hong kong open at 9pm nyc time. then you finally get through to someone who is confronted with potentially specialized regional BAEC rules, and who is simply unable to help. that is inexcusable for a global airline as large as BA. especially in context of AA where you can always take comfort someone will answer when you are traveling anywhere in the world.
I am not sure if this will help someone in the future, but if you ring the Tokyo office - which still gets answered in HKG - then there should not be a problem. It sounds like a one-off or a misunderstanding. I'm almost certain the GUF rules for HKG are the same as everywhere else, but I know from personal experience that Japanese HKG is ok!

AA call centre is offshored to Suva, and I must admit I prefer to be answered in Fiji, I'm able to understand the accent better! And they play proper sports there, so I can banter along.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.