Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Changes to hand baggage allowance and boarding the aircraft [effective 18 Aug 2015]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Changes to hand baggage allowance and boarding the aircraft [effective 18 Aug 2015]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2015, 7:30 am
Company Representative - British Airways
Original Poster

Dear all,

We wanted to let you know about some changes we are making as part of our ongoing commitment to improving your experience when you travel with us.

The following is a summary of what is changing:

• We will now invite our customers to board based on the cabin they are travelling in, Executive Club status and then by seat row number

• Customers can continue to carry 2 pieces of hand baggage. One bag should be a handbag/laptop sized bag which should now be no larger than 40x30x15

• The size of the additional cabin bag remains unchanged and should be no larger than 56x45x25cm and can weigh up to 23kgs.

• Customers travelling in all cabins, except First and Club World will receive a yellow tag for handbag/laptop sized bags which are within the new dimensions. We guarantee that customers can take this bag on board. The tag must be visible for boarding and placed under the seat in front.

• We encourage customers to carry any valuables or items such as medication in the handbag/laptop sized bag to ensure you have everything you need in the cabin.

• Customers who travel with hand baggage which is outside of their allowance will be asked to check this into the hold.

• On very busy flights we may have to ask some of our customers to check bags without yellow tags into the hold if the overhead lockers are full.

Warm Regards
Louise
Old Jul 28, 2015, 7:32 am

Is there a timeline for implementation of this?
Old Jul 28, 2015, 7:33 am

Programs: Gold Actually
jolly good
Old Jul 28, 2015, 7:33 am
Ziz

Programs: BA Silver
If the laptop sized bag is your only piece of hand baggage will it still be tagged/put under the seat in front?
Old Jul 28, 2015, 7:35 am

Why have you not asked gate agents to always call First first, rather than having a single group of First / CW / Gold together (which will be 100+ on many flights)?
Old Jul 28, 2015, 7:35 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

I'm a bit of a simpleton... what's changed?
Old Jul 28, 2015, 7:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
As I read it, subverting the system by tearing off and throwing away the yellow tag now carries some risk.
Old Jul 28, 2015, 7:41 am
V10

Programs: MUCCI Gold
Something had to give, the situation is becoming unsustainable on some short haul flights so I'm pleased to see that this is being tackled. I hope that with the bark is an appropriate amount of bite, for those people who insist that these things shouldn't apply to them.
Old Jul 28, 2015, 7:42 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

You'll need to be quicker releasing news Louise....you were beaten to it.

The changes seem fair to me. Don't forget to update ba.com. It still shows the old personal bag measurements.
Old Jul 28, 2015, 7:43 am

Programs: M&M, BA Silver, Accor LeClub Gold
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
The 'personal' (yellow tagged) item just got smaller. Used to be 45x36x20 - it is now 40x30x15. Plus changes to boarding procedure.

Personally I didn't think that the size of the yellow tagged item was ever the problem, but the overall lack of enforcement of the rules.

More frequent requests for people to gate-check bags might help. Not sure why this isn't done more often.
Old Jul 28, 2015, 7:48 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
In terms of boarding groups this now seems to be what has been trialled and mentioned here http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/25131182-post143.html, so:

The priority in which we will board will be as follows
Group 1: Club Europe / Gold
Group 2: Silver
Group 3: Bronze & back to front
Otherwise the size of the second carry on item has gone from 45cm x 36cm x 20cm to 40cm x 30cm x 15cm. The size limits for the first carry on item remain the same as before.
Old Jul 28, 2015, 8:03 am

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Platinum, HH Diamond, Hertz PC,
Originally Posted by TheTino04
Is there a timeline for implementation of this?
We will roll out these changes across the network in the coming weeks. Dates will be communicated when available
http://www.speedbirdclub.com/nl/all-.../july/handbag/
Old Jul 28, 2015, 8:05 am

Programs: BA silver
still not sure that if I only board with a handbag, will have to be placed at my feet?
Old Jul 28, 2015, 8:07 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

This gets a ^ from me.

The smaller tagged item is guaranteed to travel with me (under the seat infront, unless i’m seated in a designated exit row where it can be placed in the overhead locker presumably) and the additional larger, non-tagged IATA size cabin piece goes into the overhead locker, subject to available space. If properly enforced, I can see this will improve punctuality.

The boarding arrangement sounds positive too - similar to what we experience when travelling on AA, who have boarding down to a fine art.
Old Jul 28, 2015, 8:13 am

Programs: Delta Diamond, United 1K, BA Blue, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by BA Executive Club
• Customers who travel with hand baggage which is outside of their allowance will be asked to check this into the hold.

• On very busy flights we may have to ask some of our customers to check bags without yellow tags into the hold if the overhead lockers are full.
The above sounds wishy-washy. While you can ask, it sounds like it will be left up to pax to give thumbs up. What if people don't give it?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.