Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Changes to hand baggage allowance and boarding the aircraft [effective 18 Aug 2015]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Changes to hand baggage allowance and boarding the aircraft [effective 18 Aug 2015]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2015, 10:25 am

Programs: BAEC Gold [>20k Lifetime TPs] | Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond [as is Mrs PtF] | Various Others
Here's what I would like to see:

Originally Posted by BA Executive Club

We wanted to let you know about some changes we are making as part of our ongoing commitment to improving your experience when you travel with us.

The following is a summary of what is changing:
• We will instruct our cabin crew not to use the overhead lockers at row 1 for their personal use - rather than for the convenience of the people who pay their wages (i.e. our passengers).
Old Jul 28, 2015, 10:33 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by techie
How so? The only scenario where I envisage this to be true is if a status passenger boards ahead of a non-status one.
For any particular cabin, the new procedures should ensure that the status passengers are first to board in that (say) WT cabin. If they are late to board, they risk not finding space, which is the same as now anyway. The "problem" is that higher cabins will have boarded beforehand, but hopefully they won't have taken space further back, which I suspect doesn't happen often.
Old Jul 28, 2015, 10:33 am

Programs: No longer bothered chasing FF status.
Originally Posted by gms
It doesn't have to be a "laptop bag" ... it's described as a "laptop sized bag" with specific maximum dimensions. I usually travel with my laptop, keys, wallett, etc, in a small rucksack that meets the size criteria and have never had an issue.

If you're that worried, then pack a strong supermarket 'bag for life' and if you are ever put in this scenario whip it out and place your valuables in your plastic bag which will fit under your seat. @:-)

I don't really see what your issue is, the new system seems quite sensible and reasonable to me. You could encounter the same problem you are describing today under the current system. What do you expect the crew to do if you are last on board and there is no space for your bag? Just because you choose to travel with one bag, do you expect another customer to have their bag removed so you can keep yours on board?
Thank you for the attack !

No I don't expect one customer to have their bag removed so that I can carry on mine.

But I do expect to be able to carry my valuables with me on board when I travel. I don't travel with a rucksack the size you might see climbing Everest, but rather a small backpack, with the minimum amount of stuff in it that I need / want with me on board. If this backpack falls outside the magic dimensions of "Yellow tagged bag" it would now seem that in essence you run the risk of having these valuables taken away from you & put in the hold

Your suggestion of the "bag for life" is rather ridiculous, as I see no point in transferring my belongings into a shopping bag, while my now empty backpack goes to the hold. But thank you for the suggestion nonetheless.
Old Jul 28, 2015, 10:35 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Phil the Flyer
• We will instruct our cabin crew not to use the overhead lockers at row 1 for their personal use - rather than for the convenience of the people who pay their wages (i.e. our passengers).
That rarely happens these days. Less than one flight in ten in my experience, and that exception flight may be known to be lightly loaded.
Old Jul 28, 2015, 10:41 am

Originally Posted by kered
Thank you for the attack !

No I don't expect one customer to have their bag removed so that I can carry on mine.

But I do expect to be able to carry my valuables with me on board when I travel. I don't travel with a rucksack the size you might see climbing Everest, but rather a small backpack, with the minimum amount of stuff in it that I need / want with me on board. If this backpack falls outside the magic dimensions of "Yellow tagged bag" it would now seem that in essence you run the risk of having these valuables taken away from you & put in the hold

Your suggestion of the "bag for life" is rather ridiculous, as I see no point in transferring my belongings into a shopping bag, while my now empty backpack goes to the hold. But thank you for the suggestion nonetheless.
Unless I'm missing something you have no cast-iron guarantee of getting said bag onto the aircraft today?

Realistically, the worst that will happen is likely to be forced to put it under your feet (unless you're in an exit row where in extremis you might be parted with it).
Old Jul 28, 2015, 10:45 am
Suspended

Screw FlyerTalk

Last edited by Tiny Clanger; Jul 2, 2016 at 12:42 pm Reason: Screw FlyerTalk
Old Jul 28, 2015, 10:46 am

Originally Posted by Kgmm77
Unless I'm missing something you have no cast-iron guarantee of getting said bag onto the aircraft today?
Still up on the BA website is......1 x Personal item 45cm x 36cm x 20cm - within which my bag fits.

New rules today for the "yellow tagged bag" - 40x30x15 within which my bag does not fit !!
Old Jul 28, 2015, 10:48 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by BA Executive Club

• Customers travelling in all cabins, except First and Club World will receive a yellow tag for handbag/laptop sized bags which are within the new dimensions. We guarantee that customers can take this bag on board. The tag must be visible for boarding and placed under the seat in front.
Does this mean that if your ONLY bag is a small one it will now be tagged and have to be placed under the seat?

Unfortunately the statement from BA is worryingly open to interpretation.
Old Jul 28, 2015, 10:50 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Kered

Thats the dimensions of the smaller bag. Since you only have one bag you are allowed the bigger one.

the additional cabin bag remains unchanged and should be no larger than 56x45x25cm and can weigh up to 23kgs.

I think the word additional is the problem. The yellow tag bag is the additional bag

No airline guarantees your hand luggage flies with you. On planes I fly regularly, unless is handbag/laptop size they take your hand luggage off you as you board and give it back to you as you get off.

I do not think you have anything to worry about

Last edited by scottishpoet; Jul 28, 2015 at 10:55 am
Old Jul 28, 2015, 10:55 am

Originally Posted by scottishpoet
Thats the dimensions of the smaller bag. Since you only have one bag you are allowed the bigger one.
That's what I'm trying to get confirmation on.

However, early indications are that, that is not the case, rather that if your one & only bag is larger than the "yellow tagged bag" you run the risk of it being taken off you & put in the hold. Only the magic 40x30x15 bag is guaranteed to go on board with you.
Old Jul 28, 2015, 10:58 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
If you are amongst the last people to board and your bag does not fit under the seat there is a risk if there is no room left you bag goes in the hold.

This is true with all airlines.

Yellow tag bags are safer because, other than exit row, your bag can go under the seat.
Old Jul 28, 2015, 11:00 am

Originally Posted by kered
I do expect to be able to carry my valuables with me on board when I travel. I don't travel with a rucksack the size you might see climbing Everest, but rather a small backpack, with the minimum amount of stuff in it that I need / want with me on board. If this backpack falls outside the magic dimensions of "Yellow tagged bag" it would now seem that in essence you run the risk of having these valuables taken away from you & put in the hold
Does it? Not sure how many 'valuables' you have but surely you would just put the bag under the seat in front. No problems and bag on board.

The main issue I see here is BA's poor record in enforcing anything whether it's priority boarding, hand baggage or other things.

If enforced it all sounds good - the boarding makes sense and the hand baggage rules may help. The 'tagged bag will travel' rule will certainly make a difference to my thought process as in the past I have generally binned it.
Old Jul 28, 2015, 11:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Phil the Flyer
We will instruct our cabin crew not to use the overhead lockers at row 1 for their personal use - rather than for the convenience of the people who pay their wages (i.e. our passengers).
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
That rarely happens these days. Less than one flight in ten in my experience, and that exception flight may be known to be lightly loaded.
That is good news. Are the cabin bags distributed evenly through the aircraft or are they all at the back?
Old Jul 28, 2015, 11:06 am

Originally Posted by scottishpoet
Kered

Originally Posted by simons1
Does it? Not sure how many 'valuables' you have but surely you would just put the bag under the seat in front. No problems and bag on board.
Taking the below at face value.......

• Customers can continue to carry 2 pieces of hand baggage. One bag should be a handbag/laptop sized bag which should now be no larger than 40x30x15

• Customers travelling in all cabins, except First and Club World will receive a yellow tag for handbag/laptop sized bags which are within the new dimensions. We guarantee that customers can take this bag on board. The tag must be visible for boarding and placed under the seat in front.

• On very busy flights we may have to ask some of our customers to check bags without yellow tags into the hold if the overhead lockers are full.

......only those bags that fall within the new dimensions of 40x30x15 will be tagged & therefore guaranteed to go onboard, regardless of if they fit under the seat in front or not.

Last edited by kered; Jul 28, 2015 at 11:13 am
Old Jul 28, 2015, 11:10 am

I think organised boarding described here is an 'enhancement' long overdue. It makes sense to give cabin preference too. But given the proliferation of carry ons, which BA has encouraged I remain skeptical that this will make a significant impact on the speed of boarding and seating.

H

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.