Wiki Posts
Search

Cancel and rebook avois in new name

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2015, 2:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: British airways

Hi. First time poster but long time lurker. I want to cancel an avios booking for my partner and rebook it in my name.

If i cancel online will the reward seat automatically be available for me to rebook or will it go into some other fare bucket i cannot book.
Thanks!
Old Jul 25, 2015, 2:36 pm

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold & GGL & CCR, HH Diam, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Spire, Tastecard

Welcome to FT and the BAEC forum.

There's no guarantee that a reward seat will become available after you cancel yours. In fact, I'd say that if there are no other reward seats on the same flight available, it's unlikely that yours will go into a reward bucket rather than a sale bucket.

I would call them and see if you can change names and/or they can do something more manually rather than hoping the computer does what you need it to do.
Old Jul 25, 2015, 2:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: British airways
Thanks i thought that might be the case. Will call them tomorrow!
Old Jul 25, 2015, 2:42 pm

If it's outside of the 24 hours cooling off period, don't bother calling to try and get a name change. Ain't happening. IATA regulations restrict transfer of tickets. Your only option is to cancel the ticket. If there is plenty of availability, there's a chance of more avios seats being released later. But that is not guaranteed.
Old Jul 25, 2015, 3:16 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Welcome to Flyertalk Ba2277, welcome to the British Airways board, it's great to see new members here and I do hope that you will continue to play an active part here.

If it's a short haul booking and a way off, there's a good chance of availability reappearing. If it's longhaul and in the middle distance time wise then it may be a case of having to wait until close to departure. In either case nothing is guaranteed. Just in case someone was thinking of this, there's certainly no point "reserving" an Avios booking with a view to cancellation/reissue to a mate when s/he is ready to pay for the transaction with Avios. It doesn't work like that. You can of course book for other people (subject to Household Account rules) and if desperate you can transfer Avios between people in certain circumstances.

The one area where it does work is that you can use the £5-£10 / €5-€10 "hold the ticket" for 72 hours (Hold your flights and price) abstractly, and then allocate a specific name on full payment. That's for revenue tickets in the first instance, and of course you can use Avios to reduce payment or improve the class of travel in certain circumstances. It needs to be not too complex a booking more than 21 days off and not too much foreign metal in it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.