Search

Buffer for ex-EU positioning flight

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2015, 4:15 am
Ziz
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver
Buffer for ex-EU positioning flight

Flying DUB-LHR-YYZ. The DUB-LHR sector departs at 13:00. Now deciding on the positioning flight from Heathrow. The two choices are:

BA832 arrives in DUB at 8:05
BA828 arrives in DUB at 10:55

I'd prefer to take the later flight both because the fare bucket is N and will get me the 10 TPs I need to be silver before my return (I'd like to be able to select a seat asap for free) and also because I've got a 1.5 hour bus journey to the airport, meaning a c. 4am wake up.

Is the 828 cutting it too close? There is one other flight after it that could work in the event that 828 is cancelled.

Also, will probably have a bag with me depending on whether they let me check it in for LHR-YYZ while I'm at Heathrow the first time.
Old Jul 6, 2015, 4:17 am
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
You should be fine with the later flight as long as it runs to time. With a fair wind you can do the whole arrive, immigrate, customs, fast track, plane in about 20 minutes. If you don't have Fast Track at Dublin then you should still be OK as the regular security line can run to 30 minutes or so if a busy day.
Old Jul 6, 2015, 4:19 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
If you are taking checked luggage on the positioning flight then personally I would leave as long a gap as possible to allow for delays, etc. Whilst this gives a longer layover in DUB it reduces the chances of you ending up doing a back-to-back flight where you wouldn't have time to collect your bag, check in again & get onto the flight.
Old Jul 6, 2015, 4:20 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, HH Diamond, Avis President's Club
If you want to avoid dealing with the bag then you could always leave it in left luggage at T5 and then check it in once you've done the DUB turnaround - obviously this is assuming they've refused to let you check it in in advance, which they may or may not do. Also you'd need the requisite time at LHR for this as well.

Otherwise yes obviously 2 hours is more than enough time, but you can never be totally guaranteed when it comes to delays etc. That's the funny quirk of an HBO B2B because it shouldn't really matter if your flight is an hour or so late!
Old Jul 6, 2015, 4:25 am
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
Originally Posted by JimEddie
If you are taking checked luggage on the positioning flight then personally I would leave as long a gap as possible to allow for delays, etc. Whilst this gives a longer layover in DUB it reduces the chances of you ending up doing a back-to-back flight where you wouldn't have time to collect your bag, check in again & get onto the flight.
Very good point - I fear I assumed that, like me, everyone takes carry on!
Old Jul 6, 2015, 4:31 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Markie
Very good point - I fear I assumed that, like me, everyone takes carry on!
I usually do, but that's largely because I try to do the positioning flight and the first leg back to LHR on one day and then start the "proper" journey the next day (with a night at home inbetween)
Old Jul 6, 2015, 5:19 am

I completed same day staging on BA828 last week with little issue, although I was still slightly nervous of delays causing run-on problems until I was airside in DUB. It seems that 828 will invariably leave at least 30 minutes late from LHR but the actual travel time is around 55 minutes so generally only arrives a couple of minutes late most of the time.

However, my experience was made easier by being able to check in my TATL luggage at LHR (from 5am), which you can do with Gold or Silver status. You might be able to get away with that or maybe consider leaving your cases in left luggage for a tenner a bag if you have a decent enough amount of connection time back in Heathrow.

FWIW the transfer lane was open for me in DUB so without luggage I advise a quick run through to landside via immigration (e-passport) then back through. If you are having to take luggage, I'd advise the earlier flight.
Old Jul 6, 2015, 5:31 am
Ziz
Original Poster

Will LHR let me check the bags at say 8:45am for a 1pm flight travelling CW but with only bronze status?
Old Jul 6, 2015, 5:35 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Ziz
Will LHR let me check the bags at say 8:45am for a 1pm flight travelling CW but with only bronze status?
In theory yes, and definitely yes if it was the first flight on the trip. However if it is the second flight on the ticket, after DUB, then reports vary. Sometimes they will, sometimes not. So you best have a Plan B ready for a no decision (e.g. using the left luggage in Arrivals and rechecking again; or taking everything to DUB and rechecking there) or go hand baggage only.
Old Jul 6, 2015, 6:08 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
Originally Posted by Ziz
Flying DUB-LHR-YYZ. The DUB-LHR sector departs at 13:00. Now deciding on the positioning flight from Heathrow. The two choices are:

BA832 arrives in DUB at 8:05
BA828 arrives in DUB at 10:55
You've already asked this question in your previous thread and said it was "all booked" here?

Originally Posted by Ziz
Yes you should be able to as advised in your previous thread here.
Old Jul 6, 2015, 6:39 am

Programs: Mucci Petit Four de Pucci, RedVee's Navigator Badge, BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by nux
You've already asked this question in your previous thread and said it was "all booked" here?

Yes you should be able to as advised in your previous thread here.
Sometimes it's good to get a second opinion.
Old Jul 6, 2015, 7:07 am
Ziz
Original Poster

Thanks all for the advice. Just a newbie with some first time jitters!
Old Jul 6, 2015, 11:30 am
Ziz
Original Poster

Sorry for another dumb question. But since it seems I will be able to drop bags at LHR before positioning to DUB (or using left baggage) I think a back to back would be the safest choice. Can I just confirm that BA834 and BA835 are back to backs?
Old Jul 6, 2015, 11:56 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Ziz
Sorry for another dumb question. But since it seems I will be able to drop bags at LHR before positioning to DUB (or using left baggage) I think a back to back would be the safest choice. Can I just confirm that BA834 and BA835 are back to backs?
Yes they are. There are several ways to find out, ba.com gives some hints but on destinations like DUB there is scope for mistakes there. So what you can do is go to flightradar24.com, search for BA834, click on a recent aircraft that served that route (making a mental note of the date), the aircraft history comes up and then see if BA835 is the next service on its history. Generally - but not always - you are looking for consecutive numbers, with the lower number being out of London. You will notice that on the current schedule that particular service has a relatively generous turnaround time too.

If you consider yourself risk adverse, not so fast on your feet, or maybe you don't have a European passport, then also consider an overnight. That's almost infallible since there is usually some mechanism of getting to DUB or BHD.
Old Jul 6, 2015, 12:19 pm
Ziz
Original Poster

Thanks so much CWS for the info on how to check back to backs in future. I did notice that the turnaround was 1h15, and looking at the B2B thread DUB only takes 30min to get through (I have an EU passport) I thought it seemed like perhaps a better choice than a 2 hour transfer with potential delay and/or a 3:30am start. I'd say I'm risk averse but pretty quick and spritely. Plus I have accumulated a lot of FT knowledge to help me on my journey .

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.