Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

When a Business Class Lounge is better than the CCR

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2015, 4:01 am
Original Poster

Currently waiting for a delayed CX flight at HKG. Went to The Wing to start with and had some food but was quite busy and we had time to kill so we are now relaxing in The Bridge and I can't help but wonder - why can't BA do lounges this well? Just one like this at Heathrow would be good.
The amount of fresh food choices from noodles to smoothies is staggering and the staff are so friendly.
This is certainly the most comfortable delay I have ever had!!
Old Jun 29, 2015, 4:06 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by AllActionBarbie
Currently waiting for a delayed CX flight at HKG. Went to The Wing to start with and had some food but was quite busy and we had time to kill so we are now relaxing in The Bridge and I can't help but wonder - why can't BA do lounges this well? Just one like this at Heathrow would be good.
I think part of the problem at LHR T5 is that it's available to domestic and short haul passengers - particularly status ones, who may be on very low fares with barely any profit.

If you look at a lot of airlines' J class lounges around Europe, you will see similar (or lower) standards.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 4:14 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, HH Diamond, Avis President's Club
Yes I suppose ideally T5 would have a long-haul lounge (in B or C for example) that had decent dining options, and then the standard lounges in A that have the light snacks and drinks for short haul customers, or something to that effect.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 4:19 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
I think part of the problem at LHR T5 is that it's available to domestic and short haul passengers - particularly status ones, who may be on very low fares with barely any profit.

If you look at a lot of airlines' J class lounges around Europe, you will see similar (or lower) standards.
But the CX lounges in HKG are also open to all the Sapphires flying economy on Dragonair etc. They're not just for longhual premium class passengers.

It is true though, that the average shorthual fare on CX or KA is more than the average shorthual BA fare. The cost of catering and staff is also lower in HKG than LHR, so it's easier to see why there is a difference in quality of F&B and service.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 4:21 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
I am not sure why shorthaul & domestic needs to have a separate offering to longhaul. Tbh this sounds like a bit of a red herring. Yes for the ticket on the day there may not be much money in it for BA, but isn't that the whole point of status?

For any individual booking sometimes BA gets lots of profit from me, sometimes they don't. Status irons that out and means that I can access a good lounge even when just doing a domestic flight.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 4:27 am

Programs: BA GfL, Marriott PlatfL/Ambassador, TP Gold, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by KARFA
For any individual booking sometimes BA gets lots of profit from me, sometimes they don't. Status irons that out and means that I can access a good lounge even when just doing a domestic flight.
This ended with the latest change to HBO fares - status no longer allows you to choose your seat. And just wait until the next HBO enhancement kicks in - bye bye lounge access (speculative, but pretty much on the cards)
Old Jun 29, 2015, 4:31 am

Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue
BA doesn't do it for the same reason why no other European or US airline does it and the same reason why hotel standards at an equivalent cost are similarly sub standard
Old Jun 29, 2015, 4:34 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by shefgab
But the CX lounges in HKG are also open to all the Sapphires flying economy on Dragonair etc. They're not just for longhual premium class passengers.

It is true though, that the average shorthual fare on CX or KA is more than the average shorthual BA fare. The cost of catering and staff is also lower in HKG than LHR, so it's easier to see why there is a difference in quality of F&B and service.
I have to say we are flying in premium economy to PEK and only in here thanks to AllActionKen's BA status....

Flight has just been delayed another 46 mins so we are off to The Pier!!
Old Jun 29, 2015, 4:46 am

Programs: BA GGL, AA lifetime gold, Marriott Rewards platinum
I have to say we are flying in premium economy to PEK and only in here thanks to AllActionKen's BA status....

AllActionKen to the rescue of Barbie again! Enjoy the delay.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 4:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

While a comparison between CCR and HON is difficult (mainly because HON is CCR on steroids). The Lufty and LX FCL and FCT are available to pax on European and domestic German/Swiss itineraries. Also bare in mind LH and LX plus OS have a Business Cabin domestically on flights just as short if not slightly shorter than LHR-MAN.

Hence, I don't think it rings true that simply because the lounges (esp CCR) are open to domestic and European pax as LH/LX lounges have a much, much higher cost base plus one is driven to the plane where appropriate.

Plus, LH have a full serviced bar in the FRA/MUC SEN lounges that is only available in the CCR.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 4:47 am

Originally Posted by shefgab
Not just Sapphire - CX gives business lounge access to their Silver level Marco Polo Club members who are OW Ruby! I believe they are removing this in the near future though and it doesn't extend to other OW Ruby (eg BA Bronze). And to think people on here don't like OWR having priority boarding...
Old Jun 29, 2015, 4:48 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, Lounge Key, Accor basic, AY basic, HHonors Diamond
Pier J is closed for renovation.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 5:00 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Gold
Originally Posted by visit14
Not just Sapphire - CX gives business lounge access to their Silver level Marco Polo Club members who are OW Ruby! I believe they are removing this in the near future though and it doesn't extend to other OW Ruby (eg BA Bronze). And to think people on here don't like OWR having priority boarding...
The news are saying they are going to limit access. I guess this means they have to use Asia Miles to get more than set lounge access. In terms of PB... even the CX green (=BA Blue) has it and priority checkin too!
Old Jun 29, 2015, 5:03 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, Dan Air lifetime Gold
wonder - why can't BA do lounges this well?
BA choses not to spend £££ on its customers
Old Jun 29, 2015, 5:13 am

Programs: BA GfL (GGL/CCR), Hilton Diamond

I have just come back from a TP run to Kuala Lumpur, Hong Kong and Jakarta. I was over whelmed by the quality of the Cathay lounges at HKG. The Pier First Class lounge was amazing. I popped in to the Bridge Business Class lounge and I agree its far better than anything at LHR.

My Trip Report (available on the link in my signature) covers some of the lounges in HKG. Note this is my own blog and is not part of FT.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.