Wiki Posts
Search

Ticketed name incorrect?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2015, 1:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: Now BAEC Brown, fallen from 10 yrs BAEC Gold; Oyster 60+ Travelcard
Ticketed name incorrect?

I booked for four of us to spend the Christmas weekend in Zagreb. One of our guests has a double barrelled (foreign) name. When booking on line I left a space between his two surnames but in the subsequent confirmation the space had disappeared, merging his surnames and also removing the capital first letter of the second surname. Not wanting to see him denied boarding on Christmas Eve, I telephoned the EC Blue line for clarification (getting through in under 5 mins which was a miracle in itself). The helpful lady assured me it would not be a problem and that the merging of names seemed to be a system issue, which she explained sometimes happens with longer names.

I am not sure I am entirely convinced and wonder whether the collective expertise available on the forum can put my mind at ease.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 1:57 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
It won't be a problem. Please don't worry about it.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 2:00 am

Programs: DL Gold, CO Silver
Be at ease - not an issue. Spaces tend to disappear in the name field. Some people have surnames so long that the end of the surname won't fit in the name field and that doesn't cause problems either.

(I do have to wonder what the point of calling BA was though if you weren't going to believe them anyway )
Old Jun 29, 2015, 2:02 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
This won't be a problem. Enjoy your trip!
Old Jun 29, 2015, 2:12 am

Programs: BA Gold
Definitely not an issue, had the same experience with a family member.

I too called BA, they assured me it was not an issue as it indeed wasn't. ^
Old Jun 29, 2015, 2:18 am

Programs: UA: 1K, Hyatt: Explorist and Marriott: LF Titanium Elite
100% not an issue. I have a space in my first name and it has never caused any issue with BA or any other carrier.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 2:18 am

Programs: Virtuoso TA; SELECT TA; BAEC Gold; Hilton Honors Diamond; IHG Plantinum Amb
Just to confirm - I have a double barreled surname with a hyphen, normally the hyphen disappears and it becomes one word (and without a capital letter on the second part) - never had a problem with it
Old Jun 29, 2015, 2:28 am

Originally Posted by duchy
(I do have to wonder what the point of calling BA was though if you weren't going to believe them anyway )
Presumably they called BA to get the name corrected. Instead they were told it wasn't a problem. Seems fair enough to me to double check that as it sounds a bit unlikely unless you've come across it before.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 2:48 am

Programs: Many. Too many. I came here to cut them down. I failed.
It's actually impossible to make spaces, hyphens and capitals appear in GDS's, so i'd be more worried if the space remained!
Old Jun 29, 2015, 2:59 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Another "don't worry about it" from me.

It's something of an urban myth that bookings need to exactly line up with passports, they don't - not even Ryanair is that bothered about it these days. So long as the ticket name broadly identifies the passenger, that's good enough. The point I always make is that only a minority of the planet uses the Western alphabet / Latin script, so most people have to transliterate their spellings, and there is no common system for doing this. Consequently there can be no consistency.

It's helpful if the Advance Passenger Information is correct - and this can be slightly different from the booking name (Jon / Jonathan for example), but most countries allow some variations there too. Croatia isn't fully part of APIS data exchange anyway, they just gets the headline data and I can't imagine they do much with it. Returning to the UK there is full APIS but minor differences there won't stop you flying, it's not exactly hi tech. It's more important to get the passport number and expiry date correct.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 3:14 am

Programs: BA Gold, several other less interesting cards...
I'll add to those who say don't worry. Master srbrenna was recently ticketed as mastersrbrenna without the space between names and had no issues on his flight.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 4:02 am

Programs: BAEC, LHM&M, and even a dusty KLFB!
Indeed - I have colleagues with Dutch names (van xxxx) and Spanish ones (xxxx yyyy) who all end up losing their spaces or hyphens in bookings. And even African colleagues where different names seem to quite cheerfully permute around their bookings in a variety of orders.

The biggest challenge is working out what will be accepted by a website's Manage My Booking function to be able to access the booking (space/hyphen or no space...). Different airlines seem to do that differently. But actually travelling on the bookings is no problem...
Old Jun 29, 2015, 4:07 am

Originally Posted by Sam Bee
It's actually impossible to make spaces, hyphens and capitals appear in GDS's, so i'd be more worried if the space remained!
Yeah its to do with the way names are formatted in the reservation system. I believe its actually done as a space saving measure as there are only limited number of characters available for a name.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 5:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: Now BAEC Brown, fallen from 10 yrs BAEC Gold; Oyster 60+ Travelcard
I would like to thank all contributors for educating me and setting my mind at rest that our Christmas visit will be for 4 rather than 3 in Zagreb and 1 at Heathrow!
Old Jun 29, 2015, 12:14 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
Not to disagree with the above and I am sure the OP can have their mind at rest in this case, but the only related comment I would make is that I had to queue through check-in and security twice at Chicago the other day, because the abbreviation on the boarding card did not exactly match my passport - basically the printed card only had room for surname and first initial (long surname), and the TSA agent sent me back to the BA desk to get a (paper) printed itinerary showing my full name, and would not accept evidence of emailed confirmation on my phone or anything else.

I guess just a cautionary note that for US (even if not Europe), it is worth taking something with correctly spelt name on paper for the local authorities, even if the ticketed name format is not an issue for the airline.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.