Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Does BA provide compensation for moving me to bad seats?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Does BA provide compensation for moving me to bad seats?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2015, 5:08 am

Programs: BAEC Silver (lapsed HNL Gold), Avis Preferred, IHG Diamond Amb, Hilton Plat, Marriot Plat
Originally Posted by hcuk94
This ^
I love the evening LCY-GLA flights - often quiet enought that I manage to get 2D with nobody in 2C - crazy amounts of room. I then smile sweetly as one of our directors boards and trundles off to the back
Oh yes, I played this game last week as my director (Silver) shuffled back to row 7. My grin hurt.
Old Jun 30, 2015, 12:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by XCstud
I have my doubts the curtain moved. This flight has been sold out for weeks and I enquired about upgrading to CE and was told it was sold out. I only selected the seats a few hours before online check in since I didn't want the curtain to move.
The curtain can continue to move until just before departure, and certainly does often move long after online check-in has opened. That's why it's curtain roulette.
Old Jun 30, 2015, 12:40 pm

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
Who moves the curtain?
Old Jun 30, 2015, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
Frankly I think the first row of Y in the refurbed cabin is the worst seat on the aeroplane because you get the annoying curtains there and for no benefit whatsoever.
Perhaps not the best seat but the worst seat?
Now that the compressed free B seat in the first row is no longer with us on most planes (and moreover, last minute curtain movements seem more frequent), I tend to seat myself in the second row of economy rather than the first. However, I would still rather be in the first row of Y and deal with those "annoying curtains" (I have never found them especially annoying but to each their own) than in any seat in the back of the cabin. I do not particularly relish having to wait seated in row 34 something for 150-odd pax to leisurely make their way off the plane before me. I also tend to prefer getting my drink towards the earlier stages of flight rather than minutes before the 10 mins to landing call.
Old Jun 30, 2015, 9:58 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, UA Premier Platinum, OneWorld Emerald, VA Platinum
Originally Posted by headingwest
Who moves the curtain?

Old Jul 1, 2015, 12:15 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by NickB
Perhaps not the best seat but the worst seat?
Well they would never allow Ms. Phobia's eyes to alight upon them, but there is the new enhanced A319 25A/25B "naughty step" seats, minus windows, leg room, recline and in direct line with the sole EuroTraveller WC. I think they are a little worse....
Old Jul 1, 2015, 12:39 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
Originally Posted by headingwest
Who moves the curtain?
What curtain? I thought the curtain does not exist anymore at least on my recent flights....
Old Jul 1, 2015, 1:17 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by Lobengula
It's almost the same as "Row 1 Poker". As a gold I can select row 1 for fellow non-status pax on my PNR but I don't. I know that BA can and will bump them if deemed necessary.
Can you? I have an F booking for me and my family. Manage my booking lets me put myself in 1K, but I can't put anyone else in 1A without a warning that I have to contact the local office. Called BA and they said as I was the only gold holder, only I could book row 1, until T-72. So I booked 1K 2A 2K 3K about 6 months ago. Check today and they have moved me to the middle 5 and 4 rows and given 2A to someone else, b*strds. So I have moved back to 1-4K. Not ideal and no real justification for BA messing about with my seat allocation, certainly nothing to do with equipment changes or curtain moves.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 2:00 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Guvner067
Well I haven't seen Kermit yet on any of my flights, but I've seen a few muppets.

My question was, who actually moves the curtain, is it the crew or do they have special curtain moving technicians who perform the task?
Old Jul 1, 2015, 2:02 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Well they would never allow Ms. Phobia's eyes to alight upon them, but there is the new enhanced A319 25A/25B "naughty step" seats, minus windows, leg room, recline and in direct line with the sole EuroTraveller WC. I think they are a little worse....
I have to agree they'd be worse, although I have to say I've never been that far back in the last few years. I must explore them one day - might even try one for a giggle.

For me, proximity to the loo would be the worst aspect of it, because I don't recline on short haul anyway (unless the seat behind me is vacant and I don't want to remain asleep until after the seat belt sign comes on before landing) and I'm short anyway, so the legroom probably doesn't matter too much and the window shades come down as soon as possible
Old Jul 1, 2015, 2:29 am
V10

Programs: MUCCI Gold
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
I have to agree they'd be worse, although I have to say I've never been that far back in the last few years. I must explore them one day - might even try one for a giggle.

For me, proximity to the loo would be the worst aspect of it, because I don't recline on short haul anyway (unless the seat behind me is vacant and I don't want to remain asleep until after the seat belt sign comes on before landing) and I'm short anyway, so the legroom probably doesn't matter too much and the window shades come down as soon as possible
It's worth checking once out of morbid fascination, in a rubbernecking at carnage sort of way, just to reinforce the idea that you never, ever want to end up in those seats.

A member of crew the other day told a possibly apocryphal story of a dad travelling with young son on first flight that booked the rendition row so as to sit together and allow the son to look out of the window. Alas, they were to find the reality was a little disappointing on boarding.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 2:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA - 1K, Marriott - Gold, Hilton - Gold, Global Entry,
Originally Posted by Globaliser
The curtain can continue to move until just before departure, and certainly does often move long after online check-in has opened. That's why it's curtain roulette.
I guess it can move, just find it surprising that it would in this case.

To top it off my great flight experience, they had run out of still water and ice by the time they got to my row.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 2:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by XCstud
I guess it can move, just find it surprising that it would in this case.
Why do you think that your flight would have been any different from any other short-haul flight, on which the curtain routinely moves long after online check-in has opened (as demonstrated by countless threads and posts on FT)?
Old Jul 1, 2015, 2:53 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, HH Diamond, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by ANAmateur
Can you? I have an F booking for me and my family. Manage my booking lets me put myself in 1K, but I can't put anyone else in 1A without a warning that I have to contact the local office. Called BA and they said as I was the only gold holder, only I could book row 1, until T-72. So I booked 1K 2A 2K 3K about 6 months ago. Check today and they have moved me to the middle 5 and 4 rows and given 2A to someone else, b*strds. So I have moved back to 1-4K. Not ideal and no real justification for BA messing about with my seat allocation, certainly nothing to do with equipment changes or curtain moves.
I think he was talking about Short-Haul CE Row 1 whereas you're presumably referring to a Longhaul F row 1, which is usually reserved for GCH only (certainly on the 744 anyway)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.