Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Pasteurised egg instead of smoothie in First - shocked.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Pasteurised egg instead of smoothie in First - shocked.

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2015, 7:24 am

Originally Posted by henkybaby
I think most people based their reply on the general tone of the opening post. Shocked, other hyperbole used (mostly after using 'suffice to say') and then he ended with a question about compensation.
+1

He over-egged the situation right from the start.
Old Jun 30, 2015, 7:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens

Sorry...
Old Jun 30, 2015, 9:00 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
Originally Posted by Fruitcake
How eggsasperating.
Boooooo.

How closely can these items be packaged though? Are they 2 cartons of commercially available stuff? Even if they aren't you'd figure that one of the ONLY things on the carton would read "egg mix" and the other would read "smoothie mix".

I worked at subway and I know products can look similar, but our carton of egg mix certainly was different than a carton of milk, the ONLY way to mistake them was to just decide by feel, because in that respect they were identical. To me, this is just carelessness by the person serving it and if it's "happening often" then BA should order better labeling or retrain their staff. It's not brain surgery.
Old Jun 30, 2015, 9:04 am

That's not exactly what he wrote...

I think most people based their reply on the general tone of the opening post. Shocked, other hyperbole used (mostly after using 'suffice to say') and then he ended with a question about compensation.

Now, in my experience, if the OP had told this a mere story of a 'funny incident that happened in F', more replies would have been very critical of BA and arguing for compensation.

It is the nature of the interwebby thingy and human interaction in general...
Maybe it was the OP having expectations of premium class travel on a 4 class plane with a product marketed as one of the best that got them into trouble. Shame on them for having an expectation - I think the mild taunting should continue so that the OP doesn't post here anymore (written with incredible sarcasm).

Why is it when people make a critique many on this board go into bully mode, histrionics, or some combination of the two

One would get the impression that BA is a spouse not an airline the way some carry on when responding to a critical posting crazy!
Old Jun 30, 2015, 9:07 am

Sorry...
I think that's taking things a bit to the eggstreme
Old Jun 30, 2015, 9:09 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by Zalmistinks
One would get the impression that BA is a spouse not an airline the way some carry on when responding to a critical posting crazy!
I'm not 100% clear if your referring here to the people backing BA...
Old Jun 30, 2015, 9:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Maybe it was the OP having expectations of premium class travel on a 4 class plane with a product marketed as one of the best that got them into trouble.
I think - once again - that class of travel has no bearing on this 'incident'. Either it is a non-event and F pax need to be protected from those, or it was something serious and that is no worse for an F pax or a WT pax...

Unless you disagree of course.

I don't defend or attack BA. I am just pointing out that a some tones of voice will generate a predictable range of responses. The exact same incident can be seen as either black or white by me and my fellow participants here, depending on the way the 'story' got started...

It's almost but not entirely unlike life.
Old Jun 30, 2015, 9:27 am

It's almost but not entirely unlike life.
^

I think (myself included) people tend to have an initial reaction and then reflect on it, certainly the OP has done this in subsequent responses.
Old Jun 30, 2015, 11:01 am

Programs: Paid F
I eat raw eggs every chance I get ... provided they are from a sturgeon!!
Old Jun 30, 2015, 11:31 am
Original Poster

wow! - that's a lot of responses.... thanks all for the sincere concern.. I'll be sure to update with the outcome....
Old Jun 30, 2015, 11:37 am

But are not the cabin staff at fault here? They should be able to determine what they are pouring unless, at the same time, involved in a detailed conversation about how much they had to drink the previous evening. Not good enough; BA needs to pay up.

There is too much chat here on "good crews" and "bad crews" when in fact they need to all be good and, if not, something should be done. In this case the crew served a F customer raw eggs rather than a smoothie; is it a sackable offence?
Old Jun 30, 2015, 11:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Greenpen
In this case the crew served a F customer raw eggs rather than a smoothie; is it a sackable offence?
You're having a laugh, right ?
Old Jun 30, 2015, 12:25 pm

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Is this a "something fairly minor occurred, how much compensation can I screw out of the airline"

Passenger ordered a drink
The wrong thing was delivered
Passenger took a taste and realised it was completely wrong
The item itself is of no health concern - eggs are not dangerous

As far as reasonable compensation, I would have hoped that for such a situation , a genuine apology should be all that is expected and that GBP75 is very generous
Thank you! I cannot believe there's even a discussion about this.
Old Jun 30, 2015, 1:44 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Maybe it was the OP having expectations of premium class travel on a 4 class plane with a product marketed as one of the best that got them into trouble. Shame on them for having an expectation - I think the mild taunting should continue so that the OP doesn't post here anymore (written with incredible sarcasm).

Why is it when people make a critique many on this board go into bully mode, histrionics, or some combination of the two

+1

Originally Posted by drvannostren
Boooooo.

How closely can these items be packaged though? Are they 2 cartons of commercially available stuff? Even if they aren't you'd figure that one of the ONLY things on the carton would read "egg mix" and the other would read "smoothie mix".

I worked at subway and I know products can look similar, but our carton of egg mix certainly was different than a carton of milk, the ONLY way to mistake them was to just decide by feel, because in that respect they were identical. To me, this is just carelessness by the person serving it and if it's "happening often" then BA should order better labeling or retrain their staff. It's not brain surgery.
While training managers I was fond of saying " Go to McDonald's or Burger King. When you order A cheeseburger and A hamburger, see what keys on the cash registers are punched. They have different colors on the keypad.

This takes ALL the guesswork out of reading the right names on the pad and speeds up the process. Eli I ages mistaken orders !

Look at the dashboard on your cars. Why do you have a temp. Gauge and yet a red light comes on if you are overheating. These color coded " names" are called IDIOT lights !

Same principle shhould apply here. Mark the containers with a different color. If they don't do it at the vendor's, the CSD should do it himself. a lot CHEAPER than wasting time on excuses, apologies and finger pointing. Save on cash and avios.

Protect REPUTATION.
Old Jun 30, 2015, 1:53 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold / M-Life Gold / HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Greenpen
But are not the cabin staff at fault here?

There is too much chat here on "good crews" and "bad crews" when in fact they need to all be good and, if not, something should be done. In this case the crew served a F customer raw eggs rather than a smoothie; is it a sackable offence?
A crew member made a mistake, profuse apologies were given, immediate compensation offered, compensation rejected.

You cannot seriously be suggesting the crew involved in "egg-gate" should be sacked?!? Being polite and generous, that's one of the most bonkers thing I've seen written on here (and there's plenty of bonkers going on).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.