Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Pasteurised egg instead of smoothie in First - shocked.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2015, 12:20 pm

Programs: BA - Silver,Hilton-Diamond, IHG - PlatAmb, GHA - Plat
This sounds like a genuine mistake, and was rectified quickly, and I concur with the others on here that say 17K Avios is very genuine.
Old Jun 28, 2015, 12:26 pm

Egg allergy is hardly uncommon though. My father and his two brothers are all allergic to eggs although I didn't inherit it.

My father is also allergic to coffee, although fortunately only slightly so one sip of the wrong drink isn't a problem.
Old Jun 28, 2015, 12:37 pm

Whilst the "incident" is very unfortunate and I don't want to sound unsympathetic.....but it was a genuine mistake which does not happen very often, let me assure you.

It was a genuine human error and as far I am concerned, the Crew apologised profusely and probably ALL of them have, as the OP mentioned that he spoke to a number of Crew about it. That genuine apology would have been more than enough for me personally (as a Customer of course).
It is also interesting to read that the OP felt nauseous from just "looking" at the offending smoothie.

Forgive me if I am wrong but compensation seems to be a big factor in the OPs post.

The Crew apologised, compensation offered (more than enough in my point of view) but more is wanted.

Main issue is, she won't be developing any serious symptoms or diseases as others have said.

I do sometimes wonder, where this compensation culture is coming from. I guess it's a sign of the time we live in

Last edited by Flier74; Jun 28, 2015 at 12:45 pm
Old Jun 28, 2015, 12:48 pm

She drank eggs, not avgas. The comp BA offered for this unfortunate accident was more than fair.
Old Jun 28, 2015, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens
"I'll never fly BA again !!"

Too soon ?

Old Jun 28, 2015, 12:58 pm

Programs: BA Silver

I am quite squeamish and have inadvertently tasted foodstuffs such as testicles and eyes that seem repellent, although I know they are wholesome and enjoyed by millions. I think your story is very comparable. So, what do I think about it? I think the incident was trivial and insignificant, I'm slightly surprised you were both so traumatised that you were unable to eat breakfast and it ruined your entire flight and that your wife remained nauseous the next day. I think you should forget about compensation and use it as an amusing anecdote to entertain your friends. Sorry, but you did ask.
Old Jun 28, 2015, 12:58 pm

Programs: BA GGL, A3*G, Mucci de l'expertise des Apps
So what is the carton of eggs used for onboard? Proper breakfast eggs in F???
Old Jun 28, 2015, 12:59 pm

Originally Posted by Airprox
Not smoothies

They use them in F for scrambled eggs
Old Jun 28, 2015, 1:01 pm

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
Even if happened in First, I think what was offered as compensation was sufficient. I can't see any serious health issue involved, expecially from what written from OP.

I know plenty of people used to eat raw eggs. I don't like them myself, but if I had that sort of incident, I would have never thought that was ground for compensation...
Old Jun 28, 2015, 1:11 pm

Programs: BAEC GfL, currently GGL
Originally Posted by AtlanticX
Pasteurised eggs are completely safe for consumption.
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
The item itself is of no health concern - eggs are not dangerous
Originally Posted by IAMORGAN
This is not really very good, but she will almost certainly not get ill.
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Pasteurised egg is safe to eat, if properly handled and served rapidly after decanting from the container.
Originally Posted by Kgmm77
She's no more likely to get sick from pasteurised eggs than the smoothie.
EXCEPT... when the person that imbibes the raw egg happens to be seriously allergic to egg (as is my 25-year-old son). In which case he/she would almost certainly go into anaphylactic shock and quite possibly die.
At the very least (and if the allergy presents itself in the same way as for my son) there would be a very rapid expulsion of projectile vomit over two or three other passengers and crew (as there was when he ate some ice cream made from egg when he was five).

Something for the risk analysers to look into, methinks.

Chris
Old Jun 28, 2015, 1:17 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by Airprox
I'm waiting to see how much compensation the F passenger who received scrambled blackberry smoothie got!
Old Jun 28, 2015, 1:18 pm

Programs: BA Gold
I think it is a very unfortunate event, and I would not dismiss its severity to the degree some others have. Yes being mistakenly served something unpleasant, though technically edible in First is the ultimate first world problem. However, people have very individual ways of reacting to foodstuffs they find unpalatable, and like in the case of your wife, the consequences can be extensive.

That being said, it sounds to me your crew was sincerely apologetic and willing to offer compensation in several forms, i.e. the champagne and the Avios. Personally, I think that is an appropriate apology, one I would likely be content with. Mistakes happen.

There is nothing stopping you from contacting BA to pursue this matter further, I wouldn't be expecting much if I were you.
Old Jun 28, 2015, 1:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by furryman
EXCEPT... when the person that imbibes the raw egg happens to be seriously allergic to egg (as is my 25-year-old son). In which case he/she would almost certainly go into anaphylactic shock and quite possibly die.
Originally Posted by jedikiah
Egg allergy is hardly uncommon though.
Well, I think that we can safely assume that the OP's wife is not allergic to eggs or he would have mentioned, so I don't think that there is a particular need to hypothesise what might have happened if etc.

To be honest, if someone is seriously allergic to eggs, I'd be far more worried about the not unlikely chance that in the handling of meals some of the eggs preparation gets in contact with some of the other dishes rather than a repeat of the genuine and undoubtedly immensely uncommon error that took place here.
Old Jun 28, 2015, 2:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Interesting that the OP is still logged in but not commenting.
Old Jun 28, 2015, 2:21 pm

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL (OWE), SA LifePlat (*G), BD Gold to the end, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by BERbound
I'm waiting to see how much compensation the F passenger who received scrambled blackberry smoothie got!
Quote of the week

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.