Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Masters Thesis Study, help requested : Which loyalty benefits do you value the most?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Masters Thesis Study, help requested : Which loyalty benefits do you value the most?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2015, 2:55 am

Thought I was the only one who still had a BlackBerry tablet!
Old Jun 28, 2015, 3:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Originally Posted by windowontheAside
Thought I was the only one who still had a BlackBerry tablet!
I've got two - a wifi and a 4G one which I can't get unlocked to work in this country yet. I also bought a few off Amazon about a year ago as presents for friends/relatives. You are not alone.
Old Jun 28, 2015, 4:34 am

Programs: BA Gold
Filled in for you. Best of luck with the masters.
Old Jun 28, 2015, 4:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold | SK Gold | A3 Gold
First off, big thanks to all of you that have answered. I've received a lot of responses from people based in the UK and am truly grateful! I've tried to answer some of the specific comments here:

Originally Posted by DaveNCL
Completed. I wouldn't of bothered for a new sign up but happy to help for someone with 4k posts.

Not sure I got Q22, I guess you are trying to compare which is more important when redeeming flights but there seemed too many options. There were several options on 80% availability and $400 fees, why would anyone choose to the more miles option?
Indeed, at the extremes the answers are predictable, but where it gets interesting is in the middle where one needs to make trade offs between miles, fees and availability. This is used for a conjoint analysis to disentangle the influence of different factors (which in layman terms means that even though respondents are likely to say these three factors are very important to them, this helps identify what is really a little bit more important than the other factors, if at all)

Originally Posted by henkybaby
Filled it in...

I think you 'forgot' one aspect: I don't have status with BA (alone), I have status in OneWorld. I cannot judge (or compare) the value of the BA status without taking their partners into account.

The question about service disruption for instance was tough, because I have excellent experiences with CX due to my BA Gold status and flying their F class. Does that count towards the value I place on the BA membership or is this OW ?

Maybe you should include the importance of the alliance ? Just a thought.

Good luck !
This is an interesting point. Unfortunately I need to be quite narrow in my scope for this study, but certainly one benefit of your BA Gold card could be priority treatment on partner airlines, and in that sense it would be more so BA related.

Originally Posted by Mr 1A
Started doing this then stopped as I don't think it's giving an accurate picture of my personal opinion:

For example, It asks to rank the following:

Non-Mileage (waived fees, partner discounts, extra checked luggage, guaranteed revenue seat

Non-tangible (priority ground services, lounge access, priority seating, gift status)

Mileage (tier bonus, partner earn and redeem, purchase and transfer miles, upgrade vouchers)

Unpublished (operational upgrades, personal welcome, blocked seat, amenity from higher class, invitations to events)

However I think at least two of them are just as important as each other - but the survey doesn't give that option so isn't a true reflection of my opinion
I guess the question is, if you really had to choose, which one would you go for? They might be equally important, but the results would be less meaningful if one could put them (or the top 2) at the same level - a little bit like an election.

Originally Posted by BA or bust
Just done it but found a number of questions difficult to understand.

e.g. Q18 - No idea what you are looking for! It is 1500 to get Gold. So I have to fly enough to get 1500 points. Now how much I would be willing to fly? Well if I could do it in as few flights as possible that would be great, but that is highly dependent in what comes up at work and what I happen to do on a personal basis each year. Or you asking whether I would want to hit Gold for less flights? Of course, wouldn't anyone?
Thanks for the feedback. The point of that question was, how many tier points do you think those added benefits are worth? Currently its 1500, but what is the extent to which you're willing direct money BA's way to get those? That would depend on how much you value the benefits - for example with AF, there is almost no difference between their Gold and Platinum tiers (but a 50k vs 75k qualification requirement) - and therefore the tiers are not aligned to the benefits they provide.

Originally Posted by HIDDY
I got thrown orf after saying I was a Blue. Why bother including it?
Because otherwise you would start the survey and get stuck in it (see below re why I didn't include Blues)

Originally Posted by HHarry
Sorry Ung,

Not a serious enough BAEC / FTer to understand all the terminology. I got to about question 10 before giving up - I wouldn't have been answering accurately, just guessing at what it is you want.
Sorry to hear that, but thanks for attempting to answer it!

Originally Posted by nufnuf77
Done, some interesting questions, but I often felt there is a lot to be said about the wider alliance-wide benefits that would impact some answers, but none of this has been asked.
You are right, but I needed to narrow the scope. Maybe next time, if I have the opportunity to do a more elaborate study.

Originally Posted by AusTXHiker
Done. Would you be sharing the final results? It would be great to see the results of your study. Thanks very much.
Yes, I will share the results with whoever has posted that they have completed the survey. Thanks for your help.

Originally Posted by vscxfan
Have now completed your fascinating survey as objectively as possible (for a classical economist who's recently discovered behavioural science). Sampling difficulties aside, it would have been instructive to include Virgin Atlantic Flying Club as well as BA Executive Club, since many UK-based FT'ers belong to both.
Thanks for your input. Indeed, if one was doing a study based on the UK population, that would make more sense, but in terms of size, EK, AF and LH are more dominant in the European market overall, so I limited myself to them.

Originally Posted by Crampedin13A
Completed. Much easier to complete than some of those annoying BA Nunwood surveys which I abandon halfway through
Haha, thank you!

Originally Posted by fiona
It's a shame you don't include Blue. Some of those will have been silver or gold in the past. Also might be blue as other programmes may contain better benefits for them.
Originally Posted by BA or bust
Agree with fiona you should include Blue for the reasons outlined above. In fact if you want to understand the long term view of members over time it would be interesting to take an 'average status'. So though I might be Silver at this point in time, over my 14 years of having any status I have calculated that I have been (based on averaging tier points) a very high Silver. Or to put it another way, despite my 6 years of not being Gold against 8 years of having been Gold, I come out as being (on average) 79% Gold.

And during those 14 years therefore, I would have had a different 'average BAEC experience' to my actual experience in any one year. That 'average experience' over time is what affects my loyalty and views of the benefits of BAEC, much more that what might happen in any one year. This is also important if one considers that for many of us, if you want to save up for a LH trip in F, you will need loyalty over a number of years on one airline (or alliance) to save up the requisite mileage.

PS Accept that this is my view and for others... YMMV.
Thanks for your feedback. Eventually this came down to the scope of the study, but it would certainly be interesting in the future to study based on membership over a number of years - especially given how often programs are devalued - which has its own impact on the relationship between customer and airline.

Originally Posted by windowontheAside
I did this on my phone and was unable to scroll the table of FT benefits to compare EK, LH etc. Never did see what AF offer.
Although its equipped for tablets and phones, it seems to work best on a desktop. AF don't offer much, so you didn't miss out
Old Jun 28, 2015, 5:00 am

Originally Posted by ung1
Although its equipped for tablets and phones, it seems to work best on a desktop. AF don't offer much, so you didn't miss out
Old Jun 28, 2015, 5:14 am

Programs: BAEC GGL & GfL, HHons Diamond, Intercontinental Royal Ambassador, IHGSpire Elite, Kimpton Inner Circ
Completed. surprised you did not differentiate betwween Gold & GGL
Old Jun 28, 2015, 5:31 am

Programs: BA GGL/GfL, A3 Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Gold

All done, look forward to seeing the results.

I was also wondering about not distinguishing between Gold and GGL, but then again I suppose GGL is not a tier in itself.
Old Jun 28, 2015, 9:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens
Originally Posted by ung1
This is an interesting point. Unfortunately I need to be quite narrow in my scope for this study, but certainly one benefit of your BA Gold card could be priority treatment on partner airlines, and in that sense it would be more so BA related.
I have of course no idea what you're trying to prove or disprove, but let me ask it the other (non-UK based ?) members then:

To what extend does the value of status with the alliance figure in to the value of the status you attribute to a particular airline ?

I understand that if you're based in London and you travel mainly to the US, you don't really feel you have much of a choice (except maybe between OneWorld and Virgin). Did anyone ever consider NOT using BA or Virgin but instead go Delta or UA ?

Anyway, I think national pride plays a part (trust me, it does) and maybe more than rational analysis.

For me it became OW because of the Round The World tickets... Totally by chance actually.
Old Jun 28, 2015, 9:33 am

Programs: BA GGL; Lifetime Gold
Completed.
Old Jun 28, 2015, 10:44 am

Programs: BA GGL (but soon to lose the GL :-(), IHG Spire Amb, Hilton Dmnd (and pleb/pleb-plus in 1001 others)
Done. Good luck.
Old Jun 28, 2015, 11:01 am

Programs: BA Gold, Mucci
That's done there now - interesting survey! I was impressed with the tool you used - the dragging of the selections to rank them in order is pretty nice!
Old Jun 28, 2015, 11:13 am

Programs: BA IHG
done it
Old Jun 28, 2015, 11:55 am

Programs: BA GGL, CCR; AF/KLM FB Silver; M&M LH FTL; LY GLD; HH Diamond; SPG Gold; A-Club Silver; Avis PCI
Done it but as a GGL my answered may be a bit skewed.
Old Jun 28, 2015, 12:15 pm

Done but country of residence is wrong no Cayman Islands or jersey!
Old Jun 28, 2015, 1:58 pm
Hilton 10+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
Clarifications from the OP helped for Q22. I have filled it too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.