BAEC account password reset (hack)

Old Jun 27, 2015, 1:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC GCH, CXMP Gold, Amex Plat, HH Gold, Accor Plat, SPG Gold, Carlson Gold

I woke up this morning to 3 emails in my inbox saying I'd requested a password reset. Obviously I didn't click on any of the links.

Has anyone else had this overnight or was it just me who was attacked?
Old Jun 27, 2015, 2:05 am

Programs: MyWaitrose, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond & BAEC Gold
Attack? More likely someone put the wrong BAEC number in and wondered why the emails didn't arrive so did it again.
Old Jun 27, 2015, 2:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC GCH, CXMP Gold, Amex Plat, HH Gold, Accor Plat, SPG Gold, Carlson Gold

True. I'm probably being paranoid as I've had my laptop, iPad and phone stolen recently. Obviously changed my passwords as soon as that happened!
Old Jun 27, 2015, 2:12 am

Programs: BAEC (although I might just cut up the card)
The only thing that would worry me, based on what you said is that certain webmail providers will still allow an existing "session" to connect even when you change password. So, if they still have access to your email then it could be a genuine attack.

Assuming you are using one of these webmail services, you should see if there's a way to kill old sessions. Clear all the old sessions, change password again and change BAEC password again.

Just to be safe. It's probably just an accident as chistery suggests. But, better safe than without avios :P
Old Jun 27, 2015, 2:35 am
Original Poster

Thanks. Good advice. Will do. Only the iPad had access to personal email on it and did have a password, but doubt that's too difficult to break?

I'll get changing!
Old Jun 27, 2015, 6:32 am

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Platinum, HH Diamond, Hertz PC,
Haven't you remotely wiped the iPad Stevieed ?
Old Jun 27, 2015, 6:36 am
Original Poster

Alas it didn't have a 3G/4G sim so although I've activated the remote wipe on find my iPhone I doubt it's gone through.
Old Jul 27, 2015, 10:02 pm

189 and counting

I have been getting 3 emails per minute from british airways customer service- the title of the email is ""reset your password".

I have not gone in to by BA account for quite some time. I am afraid to go in as it appears some sort of glitch or virus. Anyone else? I tried to call; but, can not get anyone who knows/can help.

I am now up to 196 emails since 10:56 pm on 7/27/2015

Anyone else?
Old Jul 27, 2015, 10:13 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, IHG Gold
I'm having the same issue... Over 200 emails since the past hour, and it won't stop. I obviously didn't ask to reset the password, so I have no clue what is going on. I have tried to ask BA on twitter, and no reply!

Edit : About 450 emails since the last one and half hour

Last edited by Titom; Jul 27, 2015 at 10:20 pm
Old Jul 28, 2015, 2:06 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by r00ty
The only thing that would worry me, based on what you said is that certain webmail providers will still allow an existing "session" to connect even when you change password. So, if they still have access to your email then it could be a genuine attack.

Assuming you are using one of these webmail services, you should see if there's a way to kill old sessions. Clear all the old sessions, change password again and change BAEC password again.

Just to be safe. It's probably just an accident as chistery suggests. But, better safe than without avios :P
Unlikely.

Firstly you have to specifically set webmail clients to have an indefinite session, by default they expire.

Secondly, even for sessions set to not expire, all the major webmail clients force reauthorisation on next mouse click if a password change has been detected.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.