Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

British Airways mixed fleet/worldwide fleet

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

British Airways mixed fleet/worldwide fleet

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2015, 9:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
I am certainly not perfect but I do try my best, working for BA does make it difficult.
Old Jun 19, 2015, 9:36 am

Programs: Tufty Club (Gold), BAGA Gymnastics level 4, 440yds swimming certificate
Originally Posted by 81romeo
Just boarded.

Not even "good afternoon".

Lovely MF.
Was it on a MF A319 with minimum crew? If so this isn't a surprise and is probably a service standard.
Old Jun 19, 2015, 9:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

B747.
Old Jun 19, 2015, 9:42 am

Programs: AA PLT, HH GLD, IHG PLT
Originally Posted by Can I help you
Was she operating crew, were they wearing hats?
Deffo operating crew, she served me a drink. It surprised me because I thought MF made a big deal about the gaffers leading newbies etc.

Yup they were wearing hats, and introduced as "Cabin Manager," plus had their full name on the badges which is a MF thing right?

Not that I care, I was just surprised that's all.
Old Jun 19, 2015, 9:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not answer for this, I very much doubt she was MF.
Old Jun 19, 2015, 9:55 am

Programs: AA PLT, HH GLD, IHG PLT
Originally Posted by Can I help you
Not answer for this, I very much doubt she was MF.
Unless it was EF operaing it as a one off? But then they had hats, full name badges, "Cabin Manager" and the rest of the crew were about 20 years old, plus all had skirts, no trousers.
Old Jun 19, 2015, 10:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not sure if our "Volenteer Crew" still hold a licence on the Airbus, these crew fly with both fleets to keep up their recency, they might have the same uniform regulations as non MF crew.
Old Jun 19, 2015, 12:29 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR; TK Elite; ITA Executive; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Bonvoy Platinum
It was BA232. Flight was pure apathy.

Except a junior cc who will get a Golden Ticket. Very polite and proactive. Very keen to a genuine chat too.

Still, no welcome at the door. Not even a good afternoon. 3 CSMs on board (obviously only one was in charge).

Oh...not a busy flight at all. In all cabins.

CSM was absent during the entire flight (in the back).
Old Jun 19, 2015, 1:34 pm

Programs: Mucci de la Cuisine Aérienne du Réseau Courte Durée de British Airways
Cabin Manager is used at LGW but they don't wear hats!

LCY wear hats and they are allowed the toggle!

A bit of a mystery!
Old Jun 20, 2015, 10:23 am

Originally Posted by bananahead
Surely the best scenario would be the two cabin crews working together on the same aircraft? I know from reading these threads that the T&C's are different but surely they can still work to their own T&C's while working together?
No. It's not just the T&Cs that are different, but the whole staffing structures and working practices of the different fleets.

The collective bargaining agreements that govern allowances payments, rostering, and operating procedures in the event of disruption form part of EuroFleet/Worldwide crew T&Cs. The latter in particular have in the past severely hampered the responsiveness and recovery of the operation during disruption, particularly when long-haul aircraft have to divert due to severe weather at London Heathrow. These are radically different on Mixed Fleet. BA battled for literally decades to modernise working practices, but to no avail.

EuroFleet/Worldwide also have a seniority system which allows, amongst other things, cabin crew to choose working positions on board the aircraft by reference to their seniority (ask a junior crew member on Worldwide what they think of it....). Again, Mixed Fleet breaks away from this system.

Starting a new fleet from scratch is not ideal, but maintaining the status quo of a permanently upward trend of above market costs and below market productivity and flexibility wasn't sustainable in the long run, particularly when other parts of the airline have been able to achieve very substantial modernisation of working practices through negotiation. There are also the largely unseen benefits of Mixed Fleet's flexibility in preventing fewer cancellations and much greater responsiveness to disruption on the network.
Old Jun 21, 2015, 10:10 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Omnipresent
No. It's not just the T&Cs that are different, but the whole staffing structures and working practices of the different fleets.

The collective bargaining agreements that govern allowances payments, rostering, and operating procedures in the event of disruption form part of EuroFleet/Worldwide crew T&Cs. The latter in particular have in the past severely hampered the responsiveness and recovery of the operation during disruption, particularly when long-haul aircraft have to divert due to severe weather at London Heathrow. These are radically different on Mixed Fleet. BA battled for literally decades to modernise working practices, but to no avail.

EuroFleet/Worldwide also have a seniority system which allows, amongst other things, cabin crew to choose working positions on board the aircraft by reference to their seniority (ask a junior crew member on Worldwide what they think of it....). Again, Mixed Fleet breaks away from this system.

Starting a new fleet from scratch is not ideal, but maintaining the status quo of a permanently upward trend of above market costs and below market productivity and flexibility wasn't sustainable in the long run, particularly when other parts of the airline have been able to achieve very substantial modernisation of working practices through negotiation. There are also the largely unseen benefits of Mixed Fleet's flexibility in preventing fewer cancellations and much greater responsiveness to disruption on the network.
I have no doubt you are right, Omnipresent. But this does not explain why conditions for MF are so inferior: they complain the are not even allowed to go into a duty free shop because they have to march through terminals together in a group.BA has made millions and millions thanks to paying them so little...what is this money being used for? Why not improve the conditions for MF but insist that they behave/function in terms of customer service like the 'vintage' fleets? If members of MF are unwilling or unable to do their jobs according to accepted standards, they should be removed from customer-facing jobs.

Last edited by Prospero; Jun 21, 2015 at 2:29 pm Reason: Merge quotation and reply into one post
Old Jun 21, 2015, 10:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC: Silver - Marriott: Titanium
Originally Posted by Omnipresent
EuroFleet/Worldwide also have a seniority system which allows, amongst other things, cabin crew to choose working positions on board the aircraft by reference to their seniority (ask a junior crew member on Worldwide what they think of it....)
*Censored for the cause of decency*
Old Jun 21, 2015, 10:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC: Silver - Marriott: Titanium
Originally Posted by Jonathan1974
I have no doubt you are right, Omnipresent. But this does not explain why conditions for MF are so inferior: they complain the are not even allowed to go into a duty free shop because they have to march through terminals together in a group.BA has made millions and millions thanks to paying them so little...what is this money being used for? Why not improve the conditions for MF but insist that they behave/function in terms of customer service like the 'vintage' fleets? If members of MF are unwilling or unable to do their jobs according to accepted standards, they should be removed from customer-facing jobs.
The money made from the saving of the MF operation has gone to the same place as our cut in Profit Share bonus this financial year. To pay for:

The A380 project.
The 787 project.
The soon to be overhauled Long Haul catering.
The refurbishment of part of the 747 fleet.
Capital investment in the airline infrastructure and systems.

Etc.
Old Jun 21, 2015, 11:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

And directors and management bonuses.
Old Jun 21, 2015, 2:16 pm
Original Poster

Profits

Routine replacement of ageing aircraft should not come our of vast savings made our of outsourcing to inferior suppliers by giving them the jobs of loyal employees working for the company for years, in some cases decades and by bringing in a substantially inferior brand of cabin crew ( MF), tricking passangers our of services they had paid for and putting costcutting always before the interests of passangers and cabin crew. Which European airlines has a higher paid senior management team than BA? In which European country have the 'bonuses' been higher for senior managers? It would be refreshing to see some changes in the leadership of BA and appoint one or two people for a change who actually like the company.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.