Move to US - stay with BAEC?

Old May 29, 2015, 11:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver
Move to US - stay with BAEC?

After a few years of BAEC Silver with a fair bit of European travel from Heathrow, I've now arrived in Charlotte, NC for a few years.

Question is: Stay with BAEC and earn Avios for lots of flights with AA / US Airways, or switch to Aadvatage?

Sure there's an existing thread on this somewhere, but damned if I can find it...
Old May 29, 2015, 12:06 pm

Programs: MUCCI, BA Blue, IHG Gold
Avios are great for domestic US flights.

AA miles are better for international travel (more choice of airlines, less surcharges, less miles)

So I guess it depends on what you want to redeem for
Old May 29, 2015, 12:13 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
BA Silver will give you lounge access in the U.S. when flying domestic. AA status will not. However, if you fly discount Y, the new regime will give you a massive 5 tier points per sector unless over 2000 miles. I would do a TP run to get BA silver cheap but credit all Y flights to AA. You'd get bugger all Avios for them at BAEC anyway.
Old May 29, 2015, 12:32 pm

It's really a question of which is more important to you: lounge access or a shot at a complimentary upgrade. Keep in mind that if you're "only" Silver equivalent on AA, your chances of said upgrade tend not to be great anymore.
Avios can also be preferable to Aadvantage miles if you take short flights (e.g., BOS-JFK/LGA), at 4500 Avios + $5 a pop.
Old May 29, 2015, 12:50 pm

If you're flying a lot, I'd switch to AA and buy an Admiral's Club membership.
Old May 29, 2015, 3:23 pm

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
BA Silver beats AA Plat.
Because of the upgrades, I'd suggest that AA EXP beats BA Gold.
Lots of economy travel - AA.
Lots of premium cabins - BA.
International redemptions - AA.
Domestic redemptions, particularly one-ways - BA.

So it all depends - what will your travel patterns look like?
Old May 29, 2015, 3:44 pm

Programs: BA Silver, UA 1K, DL Platinum
Remember you'll need 4 BA operated/marketed to keep status. As others have said I think BA is great if you're in First but for discounted Y it's pretty dire. Short point to point avios redemptions are great value.
Old May 29, 2015, 4:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Is a few years 2 or 5 or maybe for ever?
What do want from a ffp?
Where will you be flying to while in USA?

Several BA vs AA threads here
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/onewo...help-here.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/infor...help-here.html
Old May 29, 2015, 7:37 pm
Original Poster

Thanks all for the advice.

2 years or forever - that's the $64M question! Guessing it will be 5 or so years before kids and schooling pull us back to the UK.

Think I'll be able to hold on to BAEC Silver through 4-5 premium economy trips each year back to Europe - I hadn't appreciated AA status wouldn't get you lounge access!

After that, my internal flying will be LA / Phoenix / Chicago / Connecticut / Seattle but mostly economy so it sounds like using Aadvantage for those is best.

ojg
Old May 29, 2015, 9:00 pm

I agree with others that flying in discount Y, it's best to credit to AAdvantage. Instead of the 4-5 premium economy trips to maintain BA status, it's easier to just fit in 4 BA segments in a year and earn the bulk of the tier points by flying AA/US F on a domestic flight over 2,000 miles since each of them earns 210 tier points. This is easily accomplished by flying on a trans-con and they cost around $500 each.
Old May 29, 2015, 10:32 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA Lifetime Gold 1.8mm, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold et al
Originally Posted by windowontheAside
If you're flying a lot, I'd switch to AA and buy an Admiral's Club membership.
I agree.

I think the value of lounge access with BA Silver is much overstated. If it's important to you then Admirals Club membership is purchasable for cash and/or miles and if you fly a lot represents good value.
Old May 30, 2015, 3:23 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Blueboys999
I agree.

I think the value of lounge access with BA Silver is much overstated. If it's important to you then Admirals Club membership is purchasable for cash and/or miles and if you fly a lot represents good value.
Likewise. However, if the OP uses his BA silver to status match/challenge his way to AA PLT, he will immediately benefit from increased AA earning (tier bonus still 100%) while enjoying free lounge access with his BA status. Having his cake and eating it.

Then, OP can decide later whether maintaining BA status is worth it. Crediting his PE trips to the UK would earn 210% on AA as a PLT or 150% on BA as silver, but having some Avios for RFS or s/h redemptions is never bad.
Old May 30, 2015, 8:55 am

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
Originally Posted by Blueboys999
If it's important to you then Admirals Club membership is purchasable for cash and/or miles and if you fly a lot represents good value.
Compared to the BA lounges at T5 I think the Admirals clubs are fairly dire. It's a nice waiting room, but not much else.
Old May 30, 2015, 9:15 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA Lifetime Gold 1.8mm, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold et al
Originally Posted by Jagboi
Compared to the BA lounges at T5 I think the Admirals clubs are fairly dire. It's a nice waiting room, but not much else.
I wouldn't disagree with that but if the OP is flying mostly domestic in the US that's what BA Silver will provide.

Last edited by Blueboys999; May 30, 2015 at 10:46 am
Old May 30, 2015, 9:35 am

Programs: BA GGL & GfL, AA LTP, Marriott (sigh) Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
i live in NYC and switched this year from 10yrs at AA Ex Plat to now BA gold. mostly it was becuase in the US i am flying paid J and F about 95% of the time so the upgrades did not matter (not that i got them often on the transcons anyhow which is a bulk of my flying) and swapped to BA for the lounge access and honestly to spend less time in the airplane. i successfully made gold in three months at a fraction of the miles it took me to keep my Exec Plat status all those years.

i have found that europe avios redemptions have been both easy and seriously cheap. and with the new avios scheme, redeeming the WT JFK-LHR route is only 13k avios vs 30k on aa.

so i guess for me--it has happened to work out better than i anticipated than AA could. plus i just know AA will change their program eventually to match all other american carriers.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.