Community
Wiki Posts
Search

JFK LHR - first time in F, 10pm departure

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2015, 7:06 am

Programs: BA GfL, GGL/CCR
we always eat and partake in beverages on board in F even on these relatively short flights. If we want to sleep then theres always CW sleeper service.

I know lots of people want to sleep, but we want to eat and enjoy - we paid for it so did they, as long as we all respectful of others on board, that's including the sleepers as well as us eaters.

It is a very short flight especially if the winds are super windy, but you get enough time to enjoy it. You can always sleep when you get home or to your hotel!
Old May 23, 2015, 7:26 am

Originally Posted by crazyarmadillo
we always eat and partake in beverages on board in F even on these relatively short flights. If we want to sleep then theres always CW sleeper service.

I know lots of people want to sleep, but we want to eat and enjoy - we paid for it so did they, as long as we all respectful of others on board, that's including the sleepers as well as us eaters.

It is a very short flight especially if the winds are super windy, but you get enough time to enjoy it. You can always sleep when you get home or to your hotel!
^

I think you've highlighted the key principle - mutual respect.
Old May 23, 2015, 11:58 am

Programs: BA silver
with any luck there won't be too many snorers onboard!
Enjoy CCR - I haven't been there yet. Are you connecting at LHR? If so, you could try both CCRs.
Let the crew know its your first First.
Remember to try the port with your cheese.
you can change into your pjs as soon as you want.
Don't expect a wonderful choice on IFE. OH always downloads a couple of films on his tablet.
You can dine at a time suitable for you - some crews won't enlighten on this fact.
Old May 23, 2015, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Swanhunter
Quite the opposite - I was suggesting that your agenda shouldn't affect others! Nor did I suggest they should sit in silence just be a little aware of others needs when enjoying themselves.
^

Originally Posted by Flexible preferences
Well, you did seem to infer that others should not dine for your convenience, or at the very least they should do so in darkness!
I believe you are inferring, Swanhunter was merely implying it

I think the arguments cut both ways---in enjoying your F experience to the fullest you might well impede the ability of others to sleep, and out of politeness many are unlikely to mention it but will suffer in silence (as you say, they have no ground of complaint). Certainly I would be mortified if in my exuberance I unknowingly deprived another of his sleep. (No jokes please ) On the other hand I would still enjoy everything I wished but try to do it quietly.
Old May 23, 2015, 12:51 pm

Originally Posted by BHDATC
A lot of the above is ridiculous. You are in F. You will not be expected to have champagne and sleep. You can enjoy the full dining experience and breakfast and stay awake if you please.

Those who wish to sleep will have their beds made and eyemasks will keep the light out. It is a shared cabin, there is no curfew, and no one person has the right to dictate what someone else wants to do in their own seat.

There is a full catered menu and breakfast selection. Having done it a few times, I can assure you people do dine on the 10pm flights.
How is it "ridiculous"?

95 percent of those on board will sleep for most of the flight. That is a fact. Of course he is "allowed" to eat his 5-course dinner. But he said he was going to get to the lounge early, thus could eat there and not want an entire dinner service onboard.
Old May 23, 2015, 12:57 pm

Programs: BA silver
Wow- that is a high percentage! Where did you get that fact?
The poor OP asked what to expect from the cabin, not from the passengers
Old May 23, 2015, 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by fiona
with any luck there won't be too many snorers onboard!
Enjoy CCR - I haven't been there yet. Are you connecting at LHR? If so, you could try both CCRs.
Let the crew know its your first First.
Remember to try the port with your cheese.
you can change into your pjs as soon as you want.
Don't expect a wonderful choice on IFE. OH always downloads a couple of films on his tablet.
You can dine at a time suitable for you - some crews won't enlighten on this fact.
I have always found getting into PJs straight away is a good idea, you can then enjoy the rest of the trip straight away. Oh and IFE in all classes is terrible. Take an ipad with you!
Old May 23, 2015, 2:11 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
... and indeed even on the BA182 last flight out at 22:55, the flight I usually take (if not on the BA178 morning departure). Even on such a late flight it is not unusual for passengers to have a late supper and few drinks ... or a full meal service.
I tend to eat on a flight even if it's a late one but I eat with just that little lamp at the seat on its lowest setting so I can see what I'm doing if there is anyone nearby seemingly wanting to sleep and make more sure than usual that I don't accidentally make any clinking noise with the cutlery. Also, I whisper to the crew so that they'd also whisper to me so that it doesn't disturb those who are sleeping.

I'd like everyone else sharing the cabin with me to have a quiet, peaceful flight much as I want to, and would not like to feel that I'm reducing someone's quality of sleep - I don't like dealing with feeling guilty. There are people who need to go straight to work upon arrival and it's often important for them to be able to get decent sleep. There is also some vague hope that others would reciprocate, although I have not noticed anyone reciprocating yet!

Anyway, aircraft cabin is a small space shared by rather a lot of people, even in F. I think a bit of consideration towards each other goes a long way towards making the journey more comfortable. It doesn't have to involve foregoing a meal or anything else - just a bit of extra care, attention and consideration may be warranted if there are people sleeping nearby so as not to wake them. I think it's entirely possible for the OP to fully enjoy the First service without adversely affecting others with a bit of care.

Last edited by LTN Phobia; May 23, 2015 at 5:15 pm
Old May 23, 2015, 3:27 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Flyingfox
How is it "ridiculous"?

95 percent of those on board will sleep for most of the flight. That is a fact. Of course he is "allowed" to eat his 5-course dinner. But he said he was going to get to the lounge early, thus could eat there and not want an entire dinner service onboard.
Very precise of you. You must be in the 5% then to know the other 95% are sleeping for most of the flight.

The OP wants to know about the service, not that he is better off sleeping because '95%' of others are.

l
Old May 23, 2015, 4:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

We are only talking about sleeping vs eating let's not get too worked up! ...
Old May 23, 2015, 4:49 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Mucci
Originally Posted by Swanhunter
If decide not to sleep do consider that most of the cabin will and won't thank you for lots of noise and light pollution.
That's their problem, not the OP's.

Surely sleepers should also consider other passengers and be a tolerant of some light and noise?

Last edited by HilFly; May 23, 2015 at 4:55 pm
Old May 23, 2015, 5:12 pm
Original Poster

Thanks

Thank you all for your help. I didn't mean to start something about eat vs sleep!

While my first BA first - I've been up front on many other carriers. I've also flown short, mid, and long haul international flights and promise you that regardless of whether I eat or sleep, I am a thoughtful citizen of the cabin in which I am seated.
Old May 23, 2015, 9:08 pm

Commentaries like these remind me that I really try to avoid east-coast US to Europe flights. Too short to get a decent sleep. Way too short to enjoy a decent service. I still fall into them from time to time, but I much prefer flying the other way. And as I tend to do a triangle between Europe and the Americas I am often able to work it.

What I can say from a decent number of ex-JFK F flights is that the CCR is delightful there.
Old May 24, 2015, 1:38 pm

Originally Posted by ordflyboy
Thank you all for your help. I didn't mean to start something about eat vs sleep!

While my first BA first - I've been up front on many other carriers. I've also flown short, mid, and long haul international flights and promise you that regardless of whether I eat or sleep, I am a thoughtful citizen of the cabin in which I am seated.
just as well or the 'sleepers' will be after you !
Old May 24, 2015, 1:41 pm

Originally Posted by Schultzois
What I can say from a decent number of ex-JFK F flights is that the CCR is delightful there.
^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.