Impressions of BA from a Qatar Platinum

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2015, 3:11 am

Location: All over the place often South Wales and Lake District
Programs: BA Gold for Life Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by orbitmic
Quote:

Originally Posted by weero

If just their food was more multinational and not limited to their own culture. This would be am area of improvement at no noteworthy expense.

I find that a very odd comment. QR J food almost systematically includes Arabic, Indian and Western choices, all very well executed.

I also disagree with your statement on WT+ which I find one of the worst premium economy products around. Sure, CX is not great either but some others (e.g. TK, QF, NZ) are vastly better.

I agree with you on LH new J seats which I find mediocre at best. However, either all or the new AF, AZ, IB, LX, OS, AY, AB, SN, AA, DL, US, CX, QR, EY, MU, CZ, VN, etc are all very significantly better than CW.
aY J better than CW? I travel on AY frequently. In fact on my way to HEL now to connect to Seoul on AY. I wouldn't say that AY is better. iFE much worse, food generally better with a wider choice on preorder. Service is generally better in BA though not bad on AY. Seat is wider but not all find the box at the bottom by the feet comfortable.
Old May 21, 2015, 3:21 am

Programs: BA LTGold; LH Senator; HHGold; Bonvoy Plat
Originally Posted by itsmeitisss
aY J better than CW? I travel on AY frequently. In fact on my way to HEL now to connect to Seoul on AY. I wouldn't say that AY is better. iFE much worse, food generally better with a wider choice on preorder. Service is generally better in BA though not bad on AY. Seat is wider but not all find the box at the bottom by the feet comfortable.
No. He said "very considerably better".
Old May 21, 2015, 3:47 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Originally Posted by shefgab
...Some shortcuts across the pond would also be good....
As daft a point as this may sound to those who haven't visited the lounge, I agree wholeheartedly!
Old May 21, 2015, 4:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
I was answering a point on seating specifically, so yes, I find the new AY J seats significantly better than CW. On AY and LX I just really like the availability of single throne seats which feel far more private and spacious (and look forward to the 1-2-1 on the A359).
Old May 21, 2015, 4:29 am

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by ukgooner
No. He said "very considerably better".
If you want to use quotation marks, you might as well quote accurately, so for the record it is "very significantly better" not "very considerably".

On your other post, thanks for suggesting that I am a troll. I do not advocate tolerating trolling on internet fora, so just a reminder that if you genuinely feel that this is what I am, you should report this to the moderators using the little triangle button at the bottom of my post. We have an excellent mods team which can look into your argument and won't tolerate trolling from anyone - ambassador or otherwise.

For the rest, I can only reformulate my invitation for you to say which of the airlines that I mentioned do not offer significantly better seating than CW. Here is a clue, all of them have layouts which are either 1-2-1 or (in a few cases) 2-2-1 which typically offer more privacy (or privacy in a much greater proportion of seats) than CW. Again, if you disagree with any of them by all means, do what itsmeitisss did and explain which you disagree with an then I'll explain why I prefer that seat over BA CW.

Reading your previous post again, I am still trying to figure out what exactly shocks you so much in my words. You talk about people saying that BA is rubbish but I never did that, I have said that by today's standards, CW is a mediocre product and that much of the competition offers much better be it in terms of seating (which was my point) or soft product. You seem to believe that a "balanced" view is one which claims that everything is sort of equal and that BA is good. I just do not think that everything is equal at all. I spent years explaining that LH J and AF J were significantly below par when compared to CW because they were. I did that till about a year ago, but the new AF J is simply much better than CW though. I spent just as many years explaining that most US airlines J (with the exception of CO which was ok) had seats that were way below par when compared to CW because they were. Nowadays, however, DL J on virtually all aircrafts types and AA J on the 77W and US on their A330s simply offer much better seats than BA CW.

I'm afraid that I cannot accept that it would be "fair" to erase those differences (either past or present) and claim that they do not exist. Sure, if one flies one's first J, then one can be perfectly all right even on the old QR 340 or the old AF NEV 2 seats. It will definitely feel luxurious compared to Y or W and afford a good flight. However, if you do fly every week, those differences start to matter and the gap between said QR 340 seat and BA CW is very significant (in favour of the BA) and the gap between BA CW and QR 380 seat is equally very significant (this time in favour of the QR version).

So I am looking back at my list, I am thinking back of CW, and I am changing neither the list nor the comment.

Last edited by orbitmic; May 21, 2015 at 4:52 pm
Old May 21, 2015, 6:56 am

Programs: BAEC Gold / OW Emerald
How can you be an ambassador of this forum to say such nonsense? At best it's your opinion, and typically you of all people (given his much time yiu must spend on this forum) should know this is a minority view.
Is it not the point of the the forum that people can post their opinions....

It is exactly why I do read these forums so people give their opinion based on their expereince... the fact that he is an ambassador and spends so much time flying actually makes his post carry much more weight for me than someone who has only ever flown on a couple of BA flights...

Wouldnt it be more productive and beneficial to post about you expereinces on the other airlines he mentioned and what it was about them that made them inferior to BA - I for one would find that much more useful rather than have someone berate someone becasue someone doesnt feel like a person should be allowed to say anything negative about BA...

It kind of sounds like you want to police this forum- I understand you are a bit fed up of people posting about negative expereinces (including myself) but there must be a reason for it ...no smoke without fire...
Old May 21, 2015, 6:57 am

I was answering a point on seating specifically, so yes, I find the new AY J seats significantly better than CW. On AY and LX I just really like the availability of single throne seats which feel far more private and spacious (and look forward to the 1-2-1 on the A359).
If you're stuck in one of the rows by the window where there are two seats, then your experience will be very different. I don't think you can call a product significantly better when it depends on certain factors. I agree that when AY get some of the A350s the ball game will have changed considerably. They are only getting one initially, and it won't be on my route in any hurry. According to the inflight magazine It's doing Beijing, Shanghai and Hong Kong among others in October, but not Seoul unfortunately...

Don't know how accurate it is but when I was talking to the CSM on the way back rom SYD, he said that the new seat being looked at for CW will not involve any stepping over but won't be a version of Cirrus as used by CX and AA

Last edited by itsmeitisss; May 21, 2015 at 7:03 am
Old May 21, 2015, 7:34 am

If you're stuck in one of the rows by the window where there are two seats, then your experience will be very different.
Indeed, not all seats were created equal on any airliine (the closest thing to an exception are BA CWLCY and QR A319 all-biz planes) and your experience depends on which seat you get. However, proportionally, on a BA CW cabin, there are 25% good seats for solo travellers (ie windows), while on the AY 333 cabin, there are 33% excellent seats for solo travellers (single windows including the thrones).

A typical AY 333 also only has 11% of seats from which you do not have direct aisle access (the window duos, and in my experience, those are typically chosen by couples) while on a BA 772, the proportion is much higher. As for aisle seats, they are far more cramped on BA than on AY because the 8 seat-across seating on BA 747s and 777s (and 7 across on 787s and upper deck A380s) result in very narrow aisles and very little privacy across the aisle.

Another way of saying the same thing is that on BA CW, except on UD 744, you don't really get seats which offer both good privacy and direct aisle access (except the last row windows which are very close to the cabin behind and/or the galley) while on AY, you get many seats which offer you both great attributes. So to me, the difference really is significant. I should add that to date, I have never failed to get a solo seat even when booking fairly last minute, but I appreciate that I may well have been lucky on that. However, I would also add that I also prefer airlines with a strict 1-2-1 layout such as the new CX, AZ, DL, IB, AF, VN, MU, EY, AB, QR, AA, etc.

Soft-product wise, I do not actually like AY that much. Many other airlines (OS, LX, TK, AZ, IB, etc, even AF and KL) offer a much better soft product, but in fairness, AY have progressed quite a bit overall. HEL is a pleasure to transit at, the OW E lounge is really very good (much better than any GC and I actually find it more pleasant than GF despite the lack of made to order food), so to me, it is not a bad option on East Asian routes if by no means my preferred airline.

On your point about future CW seats, sure, I an many others hope that BA will ultimately introduce an entirely new seat which will put them back in the "Premier League" of the industry from the point of view of long haul J, but nothing has been announced as yet and I would stir clear of making any guesses (positive or negative) as to what this might entail when the decision is finally taken. I personally do not give much credence to "galley talk" on that front because we know from sources closer to the "heart" of BA that decisions have not been finalised yet so I think that at best, crews could discuss some of the designs being considered without knowing whether they will be the ones retained or not.

Last edited by orbitmic; May 21, 2015 at 7:57 am
Old May 21, 2015, 8:20 am

Impressions of BA from a Qatar Platinum

Well I'm in the throne seat at the moment. And yes BA definitely needs to step up the game. When I started flying J in 2007 they were the best. Not sure whether they will be again but I'll settle for a good improvement.

ETA. I also like the fact that you get individual air on AY. Wish BA would start including it. That way people could have the temperature they desire rather than frying everyone at 28 degrees
Old May 21, 2015, 9:08 am

Well I'm in the throne seat at the moment. And yes BA definitely needs to step up the game. When I started flying J in 2007 they were the best. Not sure whether they will be again but I'll settle for a good improvement.

ETA. I also like the fact that you get individual air on AY. Wish BA would start including it. That way people could have the temperature they desire rather than frying everyone at 28 degrees
Enjoy!! And if you are on your main route to Seoul, enjoy the great food at the end of the flight too!
Old May 21, 2015, 9:30 am

Programs: BA Gold, Skywards, Hilton Honors and lots of other under-utilised Hotel Schemes
Originally Posted by msm2000uk
As daft a point as this may sound to those who haven't visited the lounge, I agree wholeheartedly!
I do a daily step count and was pleased I could make a decent dent in my 10k just by lapping the pond a few times.

Frankly I found little else in the lounge to detain me.
Old May 21, 2015, 9:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Delices Exotiques,Order of the Platinum Hairbrush,Her Royal Diamond
Having just flown QR to CDG, I have to say, loved their F lounge. Very quiet. And the 380/350 was excellent. Didn't eat because I slept, but had a very good trip.
Old May 21, 2015, 10:34 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Originally Posted by johnashw
I do a daily step count and was pleased I could make a decent dent in my 10k just by lapping the pond a few times.

Frankly I found little else in the lounge to detain me.
Hahahahah
Old May 21, 2015, 4:22 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
How can you be an ambassador of this forum to say such nonsense? At best it's your opinion, and typically you of all people (given his much time yiu must spend on this forum) should know this is a minority view.
I actually applauded orbitmic's post you mention. It is refreshing to see candid , honest opinions by anyone , let alone an Ambassador ! Way to go orbitmic.
I do not think he is in a minority at all....you can see a lot of other threads with unflattering views on current state of business at BA.
Old May 21, 2015, 9:03 pm

Enjoy!! And if you are on your main route to Seoul, enjoy the great food at the end of the flight too!
This is my 22nd visit, and I think I have only had one meal I didn't enjoy in all those visits...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.