Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Boarding Trials at LHR/LGW/EDI & GVA 14-28th May

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2015, 8:03 am
Company Representative - British Airways
Original Poster

We are working on a number of areas to improve your experience when you travel with us, with a particular focus on punctual flight departures. The first thing we are doing is to trial a new boarding process on flights to and from Geneva and Edinburgh.

Flights between: LHR – GVA – LHR/LHR – EDI - LHR/LCY – EDI - LCY

On all flights, we will continue to invite our customers travelling with infants and those who need a little extra assistance to board first.

Geneva flights - Club Europe customers will be invited to board first, followed by Gold, Silver and Bronze members.

Edinburgh flights - Gold Members will be invited to board ahead of our other Executive Club Members.

Prioritising you for boarding will mean you can comfortably and easily find space for your hand luggage. If you arrive after the announcement you can continue to board through the Fast Track Lane at your leisure

We appreciate your support with the trial when you travel with us

The Executive Club

Please note that LGW is not included in the trial (as per the title of this thread)

Last edited by BA Executive Club; May 14, 2015 at 3:45 am Reason: LGW not included - providing update
Old May 13, 2015, 8:04 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL (OWE), SA LifePlat (*G), BD Gold to the end, Hilton Diamond
I'm happy
Old May 13, 2015, 8:07 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire, Accor Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
For the first time in a long time this is a piece of Executive Club news that I am pleased to hear.

Particularly like the idea of Club, Gold, Silver, Bronze etc. just as American Airlines do. As long as it is done in that manner - i.e. not gold, silver & bronze simultaneously but instead splitting it so gold first, then silver - otherwise it makes a mockery of priority boarding. One of the most useful status benefits especially in the days of handbag only fares.

Congratulations & I hope the trials prove successful!
Old May 13, 2015, 8:10 am

Programs: BA Gold & HH Silver
I Can see a lot of Geneva based GCH travelling in ET being not too happy!
Old May 13, 2015, 8:11 am

Programs: BA GGL, HHonors Diamond
Its not clear to me on the Geneva trials if you mean (a) Club Europe first and then (b) all Gold,Silver, Bronze together OR (a) Club Europe, (b) Gold, (c) Silver (d) Bronze - if the latter then great, if the former, then I prefer the Edinburgh trial...
Old May 13, 2015, 8:12 am

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3G: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 8_3 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/600.1.4 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/8.0 Mobile/12F70 Safari/600.1.4)

So, no change at LCY then?

Programs: BA Gold; Swiss Blue
I hope it is well publicised...

so that people understand before what is actually going on... and the gate agents at GVA actually run this as it should be done...

But looks like a great step forwards, pity it is not being trialled for longer not flying till 4th June now

and other clarification request will PAX travelling together be allow to board together despite different status? eg 2 EDI to LHR one GCH other SCH?

Last edited by SWISSBOBBY; May 13, 2015 at 8:18 am

Programs: BAEC (although I might just cut up the card)
Originally Posted by Elevate
Particularly like the idea of Club, Gold, Silver, Bronze etc. just as American Airlines do. One of the most useful status benefits especially in the days of handbag only fares.
Not exactly what was meant though. They said gold will be asked to board ahead of other executive club members.

That could mean priority boarding ONLY for gold. Or, gold then silver then bronze or gold, then everyone else with status (silver and bronze together).

Maybe we'll get clarification here. Otherwise I'm sure I'll hear a report from Ms r00ty (who is on LHR-EDI tomorrow morning and is currently bronze)...
Old May 13, 2015, 8:20 am

Programs: BA GGL, AA lifetime gold, Marriott Rewards platinum
At last a sensible suggestion to deal with the fact that virtually everyone was entitled to priority boarding on EDI flights under the old rules. Yesterday at LHR the priority queue started to form 40 mins before scheduled departure, as soon as the gate was announced.
Old May 13, 2015, 8:22 am

Programs: BA GGL, AA lifetime gold, Marriott Rewards platinum
Originally Posted by Kgmm77
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3G: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 8_3 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/600.1.4 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/8.0 Mobile/12F70 Safari/600.1.4)

So, no change at LCY then?
I read the OP to imply that LCY-EDI-LCY would be the same as LHR-EDI-LHR.
Old May 13, 2015, 8:25 am

Programs: Latinpass Million Miler. BA Gold.
Originally Posted by BLHD
I Can see a lot of Geneva based GCH travelling in ET being not too happy!
As long as Gold boards ahead of Silver/Bronze it doesn't really matter. But that is key - not everyone together after CE.

However, from the way the message was written that doesn't seem to be the case, which would be disappointing.
Old May 13, 2015, 8:26 am

Programs: BA Gold; Swiss Blue
Excellent timing with the EDI Do on Saturday... Looking forwards to the reports
Old May 13, 2015, 8:29 am

Programs: I go wherever the content takes me.

I think both suggestions are something of an improvement on what we have already. Good to hear.
Old May 13, 2015, 8:34 am

Originally Posted by martyndavid
I read the OP to imply that LCY-EDI-LCY would be the same as LHR-EDI-LHR.
LCY currently boards families and then Gold & CE (where relevant) from the little rat run beside the boarding door. I'll eat Paddy Ashdown's hat if the boarding process at LCY gets any more segmented/fine classed than this.

For safety reasons LCY flights need to board very quickly to keep the airside roadway moving and minimise the potential for jet blast on pax from an adjacent stand.

It seems like the LCY approach or a derivative, is what this test is.

Depending on how it's implemented it could be another erosion of a One World benefit.
Old May 13, 2015, 8:38 am

Programs: BA LifetimeGold GGL/CCR
Good for golds, but I do not see how these trials will speed up the boarding process, which is the goal of the trials. The AA system works with priority boarding and then boarding groups. Other difference AA CC help putting the hand baggage in the overhead bins on busy flights, I have even seen the co-pilot helping out.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.