Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Please help… Toddler broken arm, and BA in a pickle

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2015, 10:10 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Does BA employ Franz Kafka? It sometimes seems that way. Best wishes to your son!
Old Apr 18, 2015, 12:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver. Most hotel groups basic
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
What do your travel insurers say about this?
They were fine - they said we were still covered - but I was right to tell them before travelling.
Old Apr 18, 2015, 12:54 pm
Original Poster

Smile

Originally Posted by msm2000uk
I hope your son is ok and recovers well. Hopefully BA will be able to sort out your ticketing dilemma.

On a side note, you may want to change your FT name from Mr Wibbly to something like Mr Solid as a Rock!
Made me laugh. (Mr Wibbly comes from my younger, single, and umm… more alcoholic days….)

Originally Posted by mike&co
"In between a rock and a hard place", we've all been there I suppose. I hope everything works out for you and your family - kids, who'd have them 😅
Originally Posted by Hoch
Ah okay. Well then, it seems you're on top of things now! Do let us all know how it works out.

I hope your LO is taking the injury well.

H

Thanks for the good wishes.

All is now sorted out. It took 3 hours on the phone to BA in total, but we are now flying 24 hours later.

The interesting thing to me is that because I had one Avios booking linked to a cash booking, one agent couldn't move both. I spent a significant amount of time on hold whilst the agent called someone in the other department to relay my situation…. this can't be very efficient use of BA's time or training budget….

And then I was charged a Ł40 increase in fare. This could have been worse, but I decided not to challenge it - even though I was moving flights at BA's insistence. However, it could have a lot more - what would others have done in this situation?
Old Apr 18, 2015, 1:28 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Mr Wibbly
And then I was charged a Ł40 increase in fare. This could have been worse, but I decided not to challenge it - even though I was moving flights at BA's insistence. However, it could have a lot more - what would others have done in this situation?
Travel, come back home, then write to BA to complain, citing the change was at their insistence despite your doctor's note.
Old Apr 18, 2015, 1:29 pm

Programs: BA Gold, HHonors Gold
Guess it depends on the injury. Our toddler had a cast fitted just before our holiday. The hospital split it once it had been fitted, then sealed it with tape. This was sufficient for the airline to let us fly the next day. We also found a great small family run company who sell vacuum covers to allow her to swim. Guess it's always an emergency purchase kind of item but they were brilliant. They even ship worldwide to your hotel. Hope it's a quick recovery for you.
Old Apr 18, 2015, 3:27 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
This is a well-thought through policy and trying to skirt it is irresponsible and foolish. Swelling inside an old-fashioned plaster cast which has no "give" is a good route to losing a limb or worse. At a minimum, an emergency medical diversion which carries its own set of risks and may not be feasible.

Not all physicians think this through, so the BA (and other carriers think this through for them.

Here, all that was needed was a letter certifying the application of a plaster cast as of a given date and time. The "fit to fly" determination is handled by BA rule.
Old Apr 19, 2015, 12:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LondonElite
Does BA employ Franz Kafka?
BA must have paid a pretty penny to poach him from AF/KLM
Old Apr 19, 2015, 1:35 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
I hope the OP's toddler isn't in too much discomfort!

Originally Posted by Often1

Not all physicians think this through, so the BA (and other carriers think this through for them.
This is true, but also because not all doctors are familiar with the flying-specific effects on the body, and they can't really be expected to be, rather than just 'not thinking this through'.

It's best to follow the airline's policy as their medical section usually is well-versed in this kind of situation.
Old Apr 19, 2015, 1:53 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

This is a well-thought through policy and trying to skirt it is irresponsible and foolish.
+1. Why not simply have the cast adapted so it's safe to fly. Nothing wrong with the BA policy here....
Knowing that you have a flight shortly after something like this you better do some research quickly. Two minutes on Google and you would have found that most airlines require a split cast when it has been applied in the last 48hrs.
Old Apr 19, 2015, 7:43 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RTW1
+1. Why not simply have the cast adapted so it's safe to fly. Nothing wrong with the BA policy here....
Knowing that you have a flight shortly after something like this you better do some research quickly. Two minutes on Google and you would have found that most airlines require a split cast when it has been applied in the last 48hrs.
In my son's case, a split cast wasn't an option, so I had to delay the flight, and was completely happy to do so - based on a bit of googling, and despite the fit to fly letter he had. What I was most interested in bringing to this forum was the Catch 22 situation I was in with the PMCU not allowing him to fly (as per policy), and the BA helpline not allowing me to change the flight date without an unfit to fly letter.

My next issue is how to arrange seating all together - having two separate but linked bookings has not given us three seats in a row, but instead a middle and aisle, and the aisle of the row behind. Mrs Wibbly has told me she has the seat away from the children….

Anyway JNB here we come…. FTers do come and say hi if you're on BA57 tonight….
Old Apr 19, 2015, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC: Silver - Marriott: Titanium
This is a well-thought through policy and trying to skirt it is irresponsible and foolish. Swelling inside an old-fashioned plaster cast which has no "give" is a good route to losing a limb or worse. At a minimum, an emergency medical diversion which carries its own set of risks and may not be feasible.
Precisely… And anyone who tries to advise the OP to try and skirt the issue vastly irresponsible.

I have, on 3 occasions, been involved in offloading passengers who have done exactly that, and tried to conceal something like this.

I find it unreal that people would suggest you put a child at such risk. Absolutely shocking.
Old Apr 19, 2015, 9:10 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
In my son's case, a split cast wasn't an option, so I had to delay the flight, and was completely happy to do so - based on a bit of googling, and despite the fit to fly letter he had. What I was most interested in bringing to this forum was the Catch 22 situation I was in with the PMCU not allowing him to fly (as per policy), and the BA helpline not allowing me to change the flight date without an unfit to fly letter.

My next issue is how to arrange seating all together - having two separate but linked bookings has not given us three seats in a row, but instead a middle and aisle, and the aisle of the row behind. Mrs Wibbly has told me she has the seat away from the children….

Anyway JNB here we come…. FTers do come and say hi if you're on BA57 tonight….
Agents work from scripts. OP spoke with two different "desks" and the response was framed differently. But, I would not dwell excessively on this contradiction.

All OP needed was a letter certifying that his child had a cast applied within the prior 48 hours. The treating physician's opinion as to "OK to fly" was irrelevant (and frankly troubling) as a less alert carrier might have boarded the child with that letter, to the child's (and others') later detriment.
Old Apr 19, 2015, 1:19 pm
Original Poster

All's well that ends well - we are all in Galleries North, and boarding soon.
Old Apr 19, 2015, 2:50 pm

Programs: BA Gold
All's well that ends well - we are all in Galleries North, and boarding soon.
Have a pleasant flight and holiday!

H

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.