Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CWLCY passengers "stranded" in Shannon?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2015, 1:34 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by T8191
This brings back memories of flying MaxJet to IAD. They had 2 old 757 out of STN, one to DC and one to NY. If anything went wrong with the aircraft, they were screwed.

I have long wondered how long BA could run 2 A318s seamlessly on that service.

We have a similar [nautical] problem with our new, larger, Condor Fast-Ferry from UK to JER [which replaced 2 slightly smaller ones] ... there is no backup when things go wrong. And, Boy, have they gone wrong since Condor Liberation entered service a fortnight ago >>> http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-euro...rnsey-32323935
Ah - Uncle T (if I'm allowed to call you that? ) .. I enjoyed the delights of 'Liberation' running 10 knots slower that it should do both ways to Guernsey Last week.... and I understand they decorated the sides with a lovely scrape on its maiden voyage?! Great safety video tho!
Old Apr 17, 2015, 1:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by CaroFos
Ah - Uncle T (if I'm allowed to call you that? ) .. I enjoyed the delights of 'Liberation' running 10 knots slower that it should do both ways to Guernsey Last week.... and I understand they decorated the sides with a lovely scrape on its maiden voyage?! Great safety video tho!
"Uncle T" seems universally accepted

Sorry you were Condor-ed ... I avoid them like the plague these days. BA does a jolly good service to UK, but admittedly they won't take my car!

Getting back on topic, that's what is likely to happen when you generate a single [or on BA's case, half-a-double] point of failure. With no back-up, MaxJet died through lack of reliability from the customer POV. I have no expectation that BA would generate a 3rd 318 in that exclusive fit 'just in case', and it therefore remains a highly vulnerable service. At least BA has the LHR option as a back-up, albeit at considerable pax inconvenience. MaxJet didn't, of course.

Last edited by T8191; Apr 17, 2015 at 1:44 pm
Old Apr 17, 2015, 1:51 pm

Programs: BAEC bouncing from Blue to Gold to Blue VSFC Red CXGreen Club Accor Platinum Hilton Silver.
I'm thinking that when the BA1-4 drop to 140 tier points later this month and the increased unreliability (it seems) that passenger loads will decline as us tier point runners loose the incentive of 210 tier points and look to better options from the dreaded LHR,then the bean counters will then look to enhance it even with the rumoured Bank backing.
John
Old Apr 17, 2015, 1:54 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Keeping my fingers crossed things go smoothly for my HNL run in November although growing more aware we might have to anticipate the possibility of disruption at this rate.

Meantime I do hope all those affected today get to their destinations quickly and with minimal discomfort/inconvenience.

Will keep checking for news.
Old Apr 17, 2015, 1:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by thejohn
I'm thinking that when the BA1-4 drop to 140 tier points later this month and the increased unreliability (it seems) that passenger loads will decline as us tier point runners loose the incentive of 210 tier points and look to better options from the dreaded LHR,then the bean counters will then look to enhance it even with the rumoured Bank backing.
John
Somehow I think that tier point runners on discount I fares are not keeping BA1-4 afloat!
Old Apr 17, 2015, 1:56 pm

Programs: BA GGL, UA Plat, DL Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Calchas
Somehow I think that tier point runners on discount I fares are not keeping BA1-4 afloat!
No, but we might well be filling the cabin
Old Apr 17, 2015, 2:25 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by njf63
No, but we might well be filling the cabin
Only if we're able to get to the plane in the first place
Old Apr 17, 2015, 2:28 pm

Originally Posted by T8191
This brings back memories of flying MaxJet to IAD. They had 2 old 757 out of STN, one to DC and one to NY. If anything went wrong with the aircraft, they were screwed.

I have long wondered how long BA could run 2 A318s seamlessly on that service.
I think that really is the point as far as CWLCY vs MaxJet and EOS et al are concerned; the former is supported by a (usually) fairly resilient back up operation.

The latter two were lone rangers.

Although any kind of delay will range in effect from nuisance to catastrophe, a ticket on City Service does come with a certain amount of contingency.
Old Apr 17, 2015, 3:59 pm

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold & GGL & CCR, HH Diam, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Spire, Tastecard
Originally Posted by thejohn
John
I'll say this again as I've said before, let's not forget that the babybus only has attractive TP running fares during specific sales windows. So outside of those, there will be hardly any TP runners and those windows are small (except for the summer holiday months).
Old Apr 17, 2015, 4:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routières, PCR
Originally Posted by Ldnn1
What's happening to those at SNN? Are they overnighting?
Yes, we're at the 5* Dromoland Castle with up to €68 p.p. dinner allowance + breakfast. Mrs Roger and I were originally allocated a room each but agreed to share, possibly saving BA about €280. Delightful place, just wanted to be in NYC tonight.

Rebooking has been problematical. Nobody from BA is around and the handling agent was reduced for much of the time to relaying messages from mission control.

Tonight's prepaid NY hotel reservation is down the pan, as is tomorrow's prepaid LA reservation.

Instead of (LCY-)JFK-PHX-LAX including 2x AA in A, the BA computer wants to send us SNN-(EI)LHR-LAX in J in spite of spending 31 minutes on the phone with BA. This would have a serious impact on our TPs so I'll be on the phone again at 09:00 opening time tomorrow.

Harrumph! If I'd wanted LHR-LAX in J, I would have booked it. Did I mention our ZZth wedding anniversary and Mrs Roger's YYth birthday on this trip? Seriously think of cancelling and cutting our losses.
Old Apr 17, 2015, 4:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by lorcancoyle
(Did BA just have the LGW flights to DUB when the CWLCY flights started? No LHR as pre-bmi, was there the half-hearted and short-lived LCY route back then?)
BA had stopped flying to Ireland long before the CWLCY service commenced.
Old Apr 17, 2015, 5:00 pm

Programs: VS Silver, EK Gold, BA GGL/CCR
Originally Posted by Roger
Instead of (LCY-)JFK-PHX-LAX including 2x AA in A, the BA computer wants to send us SNN-(EI)LHR-LAX in J in spite of spending 31 minutes on the phone with BA. This would have a serious impact on our TPs so I'll be on the phone again at 09:00 opening time tomorrow.
Despite the increased blood pressure that the thoughts of any flight with EI causes me, I think SNN-LHR-LAX is a good option.

BA will retrospectively give you the missing TPs if you contact them after the full itinerary has been flown and you'll get the trip back on track by being in LA tomorrow. The early BA to LAX gets in quite early so I would think that's a good plan?
Old Apr 17, 2015, 5:02 pm

Programs: BA LTGold; LH Senator; HHGold; Bonvoy Plat
Yes, we're at the 5* Dromoland Castle with up to €68 p.p. dinner allowance + breakfast. Mrs Roger and I were originally allocated a room each but agreed to share, possibly saving BA about €280. Delightful place, just wanted to be in NYC tonight.

Rebooking has been problematical. Nobody from BA is around and the handling agent was reduced for much of the time to relaying messages from mission control.

Tonight's prepaid NY hotel reservation is down the pan, as is tomorrow's prepaid LA reservation.

Harrumph! If I'd wanted LHR-LAX in J, I would have booked it. Did I mention our ZZth wedding anniversary and Mrs Roger's YYth birthday on this trip? Seriously think of cancelling and cutting our losses.
Bizarre as it seems they are trying to get you to LAX asap. No point in harrumphing. Surely given the wedding /birthday it's time to let the TPs go now and just accept things. I think you need to get your priorities right and make sure you have a nice time.
Old Apr 17, 2015, 5:04 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
This would have a serious impact on our TPs so I'll be on the phone again at 09:00
Roger you will get the TP's from your original booking if you speak with BA.

I was in a similar position last week during a TP run and I went LHR-PHX instead of LCY-JFK-PHX, have spoken to the exec club and they are crediting the pts from my original booking. So if it makes sense to you to get to LAX for your prepaid hotel for tomorrow night no reason why that can't happen!
Old Apr 17, 2015, 5:04 pm

Programs: BA Silver, UA 1K, DL Platinum
Hmm... I have 2 BA1 flights and 1 BA2 reserved in May but unless I ticket them I wouldn't even get the 210. I like the pre-clearance but the unreliability is becoming evident. BA1 goes so early anyway it means I don't have a day in Canary Wharf - the BA3 with preclearance would be perfect.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.