Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

New Year 2016 Joker/241 trip advice: South Africa? Brazil and Argentina? Help please!

New Year 2016 Joker/241 trip advice: South Africa? Brazil and Argentina? Help please!

Old Apr 4, 2015, 9:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL/CCR; United Premier Platinum; Emirates Gold; Hilton Diamond

Dear all,

The wonderful prospect of the arrival of a new baby has meant that the holiday to Zimbabwe and South Africa planned for this New Year has had to be postponed, possibly until next year, possibly even the year after that or later. I was going to use the trump combination of a Joker and a 241 to put the two of us (me and my girlfriend) in First down to JNB and then back from CPT. As the girlfriend now needs to be at home to help with her brother's newborn (and before you say it, I've asked if I can help and they'd honestly not have too many cooks etc), I'll be travelling with one of my best friends, but I'd be really grateful for advice from some of you wizened folk about where we should go.

I have up to 200,000 Avios (and probably up to 1,000 per person), a Joker and a 241 to use (trying to avoid playing the GUF2 here as it's so great with revenue bookings to get from J to F), and up to two and a half weeks off from December 22nd until January 10th.

Last year, I went to Sydney and on to New Zealand, so would prefer to avoid the Antipodes, and will all over the Far East this May and then again next May, so not looking to China, Japan, Korea, Malaysia, Thailand or Singapore this time. India is in the diary for this Summer, as is SoCal and New York (and in Mexico in October), and I'd prefer somewhere in the Southern Hemisphere where it's hot anyway. This leaves me with some of the following destinations in mind.

South Africa (particularly Cape Town)
Brazil and Argentina (either Sao Paolo or Rio de Janeiro and on to Beunos Aires, or just Buenos Aires by itself)
Barbados
Mauritius

I'd love to do some of the travel in First, as my friend's never done anything but Economy, but I know this isn't an option to either MRU or EZE. Have looked at doing something like LHR-GRU(with a few days here, perhaps over New Year)-AEP/EZE-LHR or LHR-GIG-AEP/EZE-LHR (obviously with the JJ/QR sector purchased separately). BGI flies from Gatwick, which is a bit annoying as there's no Concorde Room.

Part of me is tempted to go to Cape Town anyway, even though it's likely I'll go again in the next three years, as I've never been to South Africa. I'll also then get to fly on the A380 in F (we'd fly to JNB as I'd love to get the train down to Cape Town) which I think is a great product.

Ultimately, however, I have no real idea which of these places would be best for New Year - even in terms of weather - and how I might do First travel within my Avios budget. As you all know, I'm sure, the 241 will only work on BA metal flights, which annoyingly rules out places like SCL, as there are too many other flights we'll have to pay for.

I'd be very grateful for any thoughts you might have - what would you do with this budget for two over New Year? Thank you in advance!
Old Apr 4, 2015, 10:21 am

Programs: BA, VS, LH, HHonors
Well having just spent 4 weeks in Brazil, I am more than happy to recommend. Sadly we did not have chance to go to Argentina, other than a few hours seeing Igazu Falls from a different perspective, though it is on our wish list.

Similarly Cape Town is on our wish list so can only support that option too.

Feel free to PM me with any Q's on Brazil.
Old Apr 4, 2015, 3:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL/CCR; United Premier Platinum; Emirates Gold; Hilton Diamond
Thank you so much for that crystal_cad; anyone else have any thoughts...?
Old Apr 4, 2015, 7:51 pm

Programs: BAEC - Silver AA - Plat
Born in South Africa and raised in Cape Town, I have now lived in New York City for 10 years, am happy to answer any questions you might have! Cape Town is amazing! from accommodation to food, you will love it! But ask away...

Reminds me, im flying to Cape Town next week, better book my car

E.
Old Apr 5, 2015, 12:04 am

Programs: Hilton diamond, BA GCH
Having looked at the options, my comments is as follows -

To impress your friend in F, you need to exclude all Gatwick originating flights. Mauritius and Batbados out. No Concorde lounge and no Cabanas. You will be driven to the aircraft in Barbados but the F lounge there is not amazing.

Flight to Brazil in F is good. I went to So Paulo. Flight from there to Iguassu/Iguazu for an unforgettable experience of the Falls. Dwarfs Niagara Falls by a magnitude of 200X. Stay at least a night each in both the Brazillian and Argentinian parts. Caratas (check spelling), Brazil and Sheraton (Argentina) recommended. Fly to Buenos Aires from there. Possible to use Avios for one leg of the internal flights (don't remember which). You could add a ferry trip and a few days in Uruguay (which we did). Come back via Buenos Aires in J. This saves a few Avios for the internal flights.

Having done the above, we are doing the A380 in F to JNB in January . Actual destination is Cape Town but could not ignore going on the 380 in F. Hoping to go on Rovos or Blue Train either from or to Cape Town. Rather expensive at the moment and I hope they are worth the money. Internal flight on the other leg. I have my own query but would start a new thread for that.

You have not indicated but I am sure you want to grab the deals before the imminent Avios devaluation.

Enjoy South America or our paths may cross in South Africa.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.