Credit against debit cards

Old Mar 31, 2015, 12:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold GUF Thai Airways Royal Orchid
Credit against debit cards

I bought a BA flight recently that included EI in one of the legs but the system would only let me pay via a credit card & would not allow me to pay with my debit card.
Any thoughts on why this would happen?

NtD
Old Mar 31, 2015, 1:05 am

Programs: BA, U2+, SK, AF/KL, IHG, Hilton, others gathering dust...
Did the booking originate outside UK and get billed in EUR? BA don't seem to accept debit cards for these bookings, though I don't know why. Whenever I book a one-way from Europe to UK, I have the same issue.
Old Mar 31, 2015, 1:15 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, ClubCarlson Gold
I use a lot of ex Eu bookings with BA and the system usually does not automatically let me use my default UK debit card. I tend to use my prepaid euro debit card, which is stored and can be selected from the drop down...avoiding any extra fees..
Old Mar 31, 2015, 1:25 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
There are a small number of debit cards that do not permit foreign currency transactions. Perhaps this is the reason you are unable to use your card?
Old Mar 31, 2015, 1:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold GUF Thai Airways Royal Orchid
It was outside of UK & EU.
Strangely my debit card is one of my saved cards but it would not allow me to chose it although I could pay via paypal where the same card is saved.
Makes no sense to me.
Old Mar 31, 2015, 1:35 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Presumably PayPal would transact in GBP with your debit card? It sounds like your debit card is one of those that does not permit foreign currency transactions. If so this is outside the control of BA (well to the degree they only permit transactions in the currency of the country of the originating flight).
Old Mar 31, 2015, 3:40 am

Programs: I go wherever the content takes me.
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
Presumably PayPal would transact in GBP with your debit card? It sounds like your debit card is one of those that does not permit foreign currency transactions. If so this is outside the control of BA (well to the degree they only permit transactions in the currency of the country of the originating flight).
I have the same issue. My debit card definitely allows foreign currency transactions.

It won't actually allow you to select anything other than a credit card when you go to pay. I don't know why BA have this policy. I have the same problem when booking one ways from Europe to the UK.
Old Mar 31, 2015, 5:13 am

Programs: BA, U2+, SK, AF/KL, IHG, Hilton, others gathering dust...
Originally Posted by paul4040
I have the same issue. My debit card definitely allows foreign currency transactions.

It won't actually allow you to select anything other than a credit card when you go to pay. I don't know why BA have this policy. I have the same problem when booking one ways from Europe to the UK.
Same here. It's definitely a BA issue/decision, no problem using my registered UK debit card for other foreign currency transactions. I have a Halifax Clarity credit card, so I just use that now to avoid transaction charges on non-GBP bookings with BA.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.