CW 747 in-seat power question

Old Mar 29, 2015, 10:24 am
Original Poster

CW 747 in-seat power question

As a 'regular' WTP traveller, I'm used to bringing along my empower adapter. Doing first CW trip, 747 SFO-LHR. Can someone confirm that this http://www.britishairways.com/cms/gl...ep13_181kb.pdf chart is correct, and I can leave the empower adapter at home?

Much appreciated.
Old Mar 29, 2015, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
It's a US plug.
Old Mar 29, 2015, 10:51 am
Original Poster

Thanks!

Originally Posted by Can I help you
It's a US plug.
Old Mar 29, 2015, 12:30 pm

Programs: BA
Sure this may have been asked before. But, why on earth do we have US plug sockets only in CW on a UK airline where others have UK plug options?

Correct me if I am wrong, but AA I think has UK sockets on its flights to the UK in biz.
Old Mar 29, 2015, 12:38 pm

It is definitely not empower. The only reason to bring the adaptor for that would be if you anticipate an invol downgrade to WTP.

BTW, I've never managed to get my empower adaptor to work on a BA WTP seat on a 747.
Old Mar 29, 2015, 1:47 pm
Original Poster

Could be the adapter you were using. Many don't work right.

Originally Posted by Tim1975

BTW, I've never managed to get my empower adaptor to work on a BA WTP seat on a 747.
Old Mar 29, 2015, 4:05 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, ex-VS Gold, ex-UA Gold, Premier Inn Platinum-Iridium
Originally Posted by FSHHUNT
Sure this may have been asked before. But, why on earth do we have US plug sockets only in CW on a UK airline where others have UK plug options?

Correct me if I am wrong, but AA I think has UK sockets on its flights to the UK in biz.
Just depends on the age of the tech which is fitted to the aircraft.

Newer BA aircraft (777-300, 787, A380) and other aircraft with the Thales IFE system (such as refit 777-200) have outlets which will take just about anything, including UK plugs. NF also has these outlets on all aircraft types.

CW on the 747 and the majority of the 777-200 fleet have the slightly older tech, which will take US 2- or 3-pin, and most EU plugs (e.g. Europlug and Schuko).

The AA 777-300s are brand new planes and have the more up to date tech.
Old Mar 29, 2015, 5:26 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
The is still talk of harmonising mains plugs and outlets throughout Europe, which would make it easier for airlines; having only to provide EU/US outlets to cover the majority of their markets.
Old Mar 30, 2015, 12:36 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH FTL, KL/AF Ivory
Originally Posted by kanderson1965
The is still talk of harmonising mains plugs and outlets throughout Europe, which would make it easier for airlines; having only to provide EU/US outlets to cover the majority of their markets.
Well class 2 plugs (unearthed) are harmonized throughout the whole of Europe, bar the UK of course (
Old Mar 30, 2015, 3:28 am

Originally Posted by PackingIt
Could be the adapter you were using. Many don't work right.
I suspect it is my adaptor. But other than trying it out on lots of different planes it isn't easy to check. It did work on an AA flagship suite when used in conjunction with a cigarette lighter adaptor. But it has never worked on BA WTP for me.
Old Mar 30, 2015, 5:53 am
Original Poster

I do not know the history of the empower adapter, but it is a strange ugly little thing. I'm amazed it reached the level of adoption that it did. I don't think anyone will miss it

Originally Posted by Tim1975
I suspect it is my adaptor. But other than trying it out on lots of different planes it isn't easy to check. It did work on an AA flagship suite when used in conjunction with a cigarette lighter adaptor. But it has never worked on BA WTP for me.
Old Mar 30, 2015, 6:01 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by catandmouse
Well class 2 plugs (unearthed) are harmonized throughout the whole of Europe, bar the UK of course (
Ireland?
Old Mar 30, 2015, 7:58 am

Originally Posted by catandmouse
And they're easy enough to plug into a standard UK plug. You need to shove your house key into the Earth first though.

Hotels worldwide now have sockets that take all plugs. Planes should too.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.