Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

How to painlessly book a complicated itinerary online

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2015, 6:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA something, LH something, HHonors something, Sixt something

I'm not a fan of booking travel via telephone, I'd much rather do this online. I, like many here, tend to turn simple round-trip travel into multi-city marathons (it's all about the Avios, baby), which often precludes me from using sites like ba.com.

Here's how I just booked a trip (8 flights, 7 different cities, 4 classes of travel, 3 airlines) online.

After spending a few days playing around on ITA-matrix, I emailed my desired itinerary (with fare buckets) it to cooktravel.net. Within a day, they responded with the matrix-quoted price in dollars, minus a $35 discount. I asked for the itinerary to be held (with confirmed seats) until I could call in and complete the purchase. The transaction was done after a polite and professional 85-second phone call; the e-ticket arrived in under an hour.

The point here is not the insignificant savings (under 2%), rather that it was much easier than calling BA and asking for particular fare buckets on specific flights. The phone call was unnecessary, as the purchase could have been completed via email, but I don't share my CC information that way.

There are probably alternatives to what I did. If you know of one, please share it below.

Note: I have nothing to do with cooktravel.net, other than being a satisfied customer.
Old Mar 28, 2015, 8:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Any idea if this was a public fare or if they used consolidator fares to price it?
Old Mar 28, 2015, 10:14 am
Original Poster

I assume it was a public fare since I was able to find it using the matrix tool, albeit creatively. Here's a bit more information:

Fare bases:
TLXEPEU
QA14ZNI3
IR28AP

Fare buckets: A,I,J,S,T,Y

TICKET IS NONREFUNDABLE/NONTRANSFERABLE/NONREROUTABLE
Old Mar 28, 2015, 11:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by petemitchell
I assume it was a public fare since I was able to find it using the matrix tool, albeit creatively. Here's a bit more information:

Fare bases:
TLXEPEU
QA14ZNI3
IR28AP

Fare buckets: A,I,J,S,T,Y

TICKET IS NONREFUNDABLE/NONTRANSFERABLE/NONREROUTABLE
Ah but just because you found public fares covering your journey doesn't mean that the company used the same fares.

Let us know if the TPs/Avios post correctly ^
Old Mar 28, 2015, 2:12 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Calchas
Ah but just because you found public fares covering your journey doesn't mean that the company used the same fares.
You have a point there. FWIW, the P and Q segments I found ended up being booked in A and S with no apparent pricing difference.
Old Mar 28, 2015, 2:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by petemitchell
You have a point there. FWIW, the P and Q segments I found ended up being booked in A and S with no apparent pricing difference.
It's quite unlikely to go wrong, but I'd be interested to know

My complex itineraries are often set up on BA by an excellent FlyerTalker.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.