Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Glassware not collected prior to landing in First

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2015, 7:44 am

Originally Posted by tom139
Where would you propose placing a glass in First which is safe for landing? The only place I can think of is the wardrobe and it is likely to roll around and smash in there...

It also cannot be accessed easily from the middle seats.
Perhaps somewhere similar to this?........Even the description of the seat that extols the virtues of it mentions it is suitable for glasses!

[IMG][/IMG]
Old Mar 29, 2015, 7:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
That's only on the A380, all glassware should be collected, no exceptions.
Old Mar 29, 2015, 8:38 am

Programs: BA Silver
It never fails to amaze me how BA colleagues across the fleets on here seem so comfortable to do each other down and try and pull rank (WW & EF over MF) in such an unprofessional way.

You all work for the same organisation, if you're worried or concerned by what a colleague posts on here either PM them directly or if you see a trend in service/procedure failure, raise the concerns with the relevant team at HQ (if you really wanted to help, rather than point score).

Deeply unprofessional and overall simply damaging to your employers brand.
Old Mar 29, 2015, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Where have we been unprofessional?
You might not know this be we all regularly pm each other and have no problems.
Old Mar 29, 2015, 8:56 am

It reads as unprofessional to me - discussing (from a passengers perspective, like myself) a concerning lack of consistency in policy/training/procedures in an open forum rather than taking it offline.
Old Mar 29, 2015, 9:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

We are here because we care, we are honest, we sometimes do not agree with each other and we all know that none of the fleets are perfect.
Stop trying to make problems where there aren't any.
Old Mar 29, 2015, 9:14 am

I wasn't trying to make trouble it's just that some of the discussions on here between colleagues genuinely surprise me. I'm simply sharing my opinion, like everyone else, I don't have an agenda.
Old Mar 29, 2015, 9:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

And nor do we, we are not here to represent BA but just be helpful and give our honest opinions.
Old Mar 29, 2015, 6:07 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
Originally Posted by passy777
One of the more sensible posts on this thread.

On many occasions, I have had a glass that has required collecting and I either pass it to a passing member of cabin crew or if nearing approach when cc are busy, there are numerous places where a glass can be stowed safely.

Yes, it is nice to be waited on hand and foot, but irrespective of what cabin a passenger is flying in, using initiative and placing a glass in a secure place for landing is no hardship!
In my case there were several glasses and a mini champagne bottle between my seatmate and myself. The middle seat pocket contained a laptop and if we had put the glassware in our seat back pockets they would have been broken as our knees were brushing against the seat in front due to the lack of legroom in the new CE cabins.
Old Mar 29, 2015, 6:23 pm

Programs: AA EP, MUCCI, Proudly BA Blue,.
Little girl and CIHY this is gonna sound cheesy but it is your comments (and the passion in which you write) on this string that confirm my strong belief that BA is one of the safest, if not THE safest airline in the world. Thank you. ^^^
Old Mar 30, 2015, 11:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

In fairness to Lite and other MF crew posters I think that they are as passionate about safety as us there just seems to be some misunderstanding or a training issue that has caused this problem, I am sure it is being addressed.
Old Mar 31, 2015, 9:33 pm

Fwiw it read as unprofessional to me too. The whole "omg MF is so ghetto" act read as petty bickering.

The quoted bits of the manual didn't help incidentally. If you're going to claim that glassware is "catering equipment" then there's no particular reason that plastic glasses wouldn't be catering equipment too. Then harping on about common sense when that's what was already said just made it worse.
Old Apr 1, 2015, 1:46 am

Originally Posted by Can I help you
That's only on the A380, all glassware should be collected, no exceptions.
I don't dispute that assertion, however, I just find it hard to comprehend that if a passenger has a glass that has not been collected and believes there is a safety concern, why that passenger just does not request the glass to be collected by a passing member of cabin crew.

It is potentially a safety issue and as such, surely a passenger has some responsibility for his/her own safety?

If smoke was emanating from an engine during a flight, I suspect those passengers who complain about uncollected glasses would certainly raise concerns over a smoking engine.
Old Apr 1, 2015, 2:29 am

Programs: VS FC Gold, BA EC Gold, Amex Centurion, EK Gold, ex-G-ATVK driver
Back when Concorde was flying, I used to choose to sit right at the back because you were almost guaranteed an empty seat next to you. But there was also an added benefit: because the galley was right behind, when arriving at LHR during taxi, not only was I still holding my glass, I was twice offered a rather generous top up as we made our way to the gate.

That was over 20 years ago since I last remember that happening though.
Old Apr 1, 2015, 3:59 am

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
Originally Posted by passy777
I don't dispute that assertion, however, I just find it hard to comprehend that if a passenger has a glass that has not been collected and believes there is a safety concern, why that passenger just does not request the glass to be collected by a passing member of cabin crew.

It is potentially a safety issue and as such, surely a passenger has some responsibility for his/her own safety?

If smoke was emanating from an engine during a flight, I suspect those passengers who complain about uncollected glasses would certainly raise concerns over a smoking engine.
In our case, we thought the crew were coming back to us (call bell ignored) but we were in the last 2 minutes of the flight and they decanted the drinks to plastic cups in the left side of the aircraft and collected their glassware/bottles but then sat down (without opening and securing the curtains or dimming the lights.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.