Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Glassware not collected prior to landing in First

Glassware not collected prior to landing in First

Old Mar 28, 2015, 5:53 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by tom139
Thanks for your replies. I didn't think it was right but now I know it was the case.

To be honest this flight was my first experience of MF and I was pretty disappointed. The crew were way too casual in First and the service was very slow. It just lacked something. They were all fairly friendly but it all just seemed a bit amateurish - like it was their first day....

What's the process for MF individuals in being 'progressed' to work in J/F?
After around a year of flying, MF crew will receive F training. For the first year only work in WT, WT+and CW.
Old Mar 28, 2015, 5:53 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
You are starting to sound a bit Daily Mail there
Old Mar 28, 2015, 6:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Just a thought and not meant to be offensive, could it be that a lot of MF that have flown before and do training only had plastic glasses onboard on their previous airlines?
Old Mar 28, 2015, 6:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Originally Posted by davidrr16
After around a year of flying, MF crew will receive F training. For the first year only work in WT, WT+and CW.
That wasn't the case for the first year or two of MF being set up.
Old Mar 28, 2015, 6:03 am

Programs: VS Silver, BA Blue - finally; but hotels.com Gold :)
Originally Posted by Littlegirl
Hi Lite,
Can I request you have a look in OMB general proceedures.

Section 2.12.5

All catering and other equipment including glasses, cups etc. must be stowed prior to take-off.

Also section 2.12.8. All catering and inflight service provisions must be securely stowed in approved stowages for taxi, takeoff and landing.

Also 2.17.3 stow all equipment.
My oh my, what a to do.
The above amply illustrates, to me, that the procedures could do with tidying up, specifically 2.12.8 is not as unambiguous to glasses / cups as it might be.

It seems also from Lite's posts that the MF training has not adequately covered this area; so that in turn needs addressing in my inexpert and humble opinion.

Nevertheless as Lite mentioned more than once glasses and such are cleared on Lite's flights; through common sense.

Putting all that aside, on BA as well as other airlines I have witnessed glasses / breakfast cups still out for landing. My own common sense assures they are safely tucked away or held (as will be any neighbour's).

As ever, really grateful for all the BA crew input in these discussions. ^
Old Mar 28, 2015, 6:13 am

Originally Posted by Can I help you
Common sense?
Is that in the manual
Old Mar 28, 2015, 6:19 am
uk1
Suspended

Originally Posted by simons1
Is that in the manual
Perhaps this is what they mean when they say "Cabin Crew, automatic to manual".
Old Mar 28, 2015, 6:22 am

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, Club Carlson Gold, HHonors Gold, Best Western Diamond Select, BA Blue
Originally Posted by Littlegirl
I still see crew going back to check laptops are stowed and I constantly remind customers that their PEDs now need to be held.
Headphones can now be used for takeoff and landing and although we request that people remove them for the safety briefing, customers do not have to remove them now. PEDs have to be in a pocket or held in the customers hand. ie. not sitting on any surface, like the fixed table in CE or the side area in First.

Yes, crew do like to please and often are reluctant to confront customers in First.
What surprised me was that there seems to be a misunderstanding about how to secure the cabin among the SCCMs on M/F too and that is what I found very worrying.

From what I know of Lite, she will address this situation, I am sure, and talk to the staff in training to check that all her collegues do understand this now and are reminded of how to secure for both landing and take off, which are identical processes.
For the sake of balance, I would add that a lot of passengers these days are also more stubborn and less willing to comply with directives from the crew.

Personally, I think all headphones should be removed for the safety briefing and passengers should shut up during it! The number of times I've heard loud conversations during it...

BA state that their number one priority is safety - therefore, everyone should pay attention (and be made to pay attention) during the safety briefing instead of playing with their phones, listening to music, having a conversation or watching a movie on their iPad.

If there ever was an emergency, I would imagine that the passengers described above and the DYKWIA brigade would be the worst passengers you'd want in your vicinity!
Old Mar 28, 2015, 6:26 am

Originally Posted by binman
....you were allowed to retain your glass of whatever for take off. I always thought it rather decadent to be sipping champers where hurtling down the runway.

I was generally more concerned that the wardrobe doors on the 747 were closed!
It was and remains, not uncommon for them open involuntarily and deposit several high life magazines into the cabin.......now that was dangerous given that it was a weightier publication back then also.
Ha, I had forgotten about that, but virtually all of these flights I was in 1A so I do remember my share of closet doors flinging open next to me as we shoot down the runway. I've got long arms and legs, and could sometimes manage to push them closed again without undoing my seatbelt or otherwise putting myself in harm's way. Harder to do in case of holding a glass of Champagne, as I'd have been worried about it ending up right on top of my bag, which was typically sitting on the floor of said closet.
Old Mar 28, 2015, 6:34 am

Im not sure why small overhead monitors would be a particular problem when there used to be huge glass CRT monitors and projectors permanently slung from the roof. Im not even sure these lightweight TFT screens are solid glass fronted
Old Mar 28, 2015, 6:38 am
uk1
Suspended

Originally Posted by gw76
Im not sure why small overhead monitors would be a particular problem when there used to be huge glass CRT monitors and projectors permanently slung from the roof. Im not even sure these lightweight TFT screens are solid glass fronted
It will be a decent safety or Gorilla glass or something very similar. Not like a champers glass at all!

http://www.corninggorillaglass.com/e...ge-cover-glass
Old Mar 28, 2015, 6:46 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
Wouldn't it be more about head injuries and obstructions?
Old Mar 28, 2015, 7:26 am

Programs: Mucci de la Cuisine Aérienne du Réseau Courte Durée de British Airways
Originally Posted by headingwest
Wouldn't it be more about head injuries and obstructions?
Yes, they are stowed so that people needing to escape over the seats would not have these in the way.

With all these issues, we are guided by the CAA, who now are guided by EASA, the new body that overseas aviation in Europe.

All aviation authorities and airlines in the EU are gradually adopting the same regulations as laid down by EASA. So once this happens fully, I imagine all these differences within airlines within Europe will disapear.
Old Mar 28, 2015, 12:55 pm

Originally Posted by gcuk
I do think we need to keep a sense of proportion here.
Yes it is common sense that glassware (and all loose objects) should be stowed for landing but equally, surely the pax's own common sense would say call over a crew member and hand the glass over or drink up and stow it in a seat back or drawer, not hang onto it and start a Flyertalk talk thread.
There are much bigger issues this week than a champagne glass.
One of the more sensible posts on this thread.

On many occasions, I have had a glass that has required collecting and I either pass it to a passing member of cabin crew or if nearing approach when cc are busy, there are numerous places where a glass can be stowed safely.

Yes, it is nice to be waited on hand and foot, but irrespective of what cabin a passenger is flying in, using initiative and placing a glass in a secure place for landing is no hardship!
Old Mar 29, 2015, 6:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: MUCCI, British Airways Executive Club Gold
Originally Posted by passy777
One of the more sensible posts on this thread.

On many occasions, I have had a glass that has required collecting and I either pass it to a passing member of cabin crew or if nearing approach when cc are busy, there are numerous places where a glass can be stowed safely.

Yes, it is nice to be waited on hand and foot, but irrespective of what cabin a passenger is flying in, using initiative and placing a glass in a secure place for landing is no hardship!
Where would you propose placing a glass in First which is safe for landing? The only place I can think of is the wardrobe and it is likely to roll around and smash in there...

It also cannot be accessed easily from the middle seats.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.