Wiki Posts
Search

Cabin Not Secure for arrival

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2015, 11:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
Cabin Not Secure for arrival

What should happen if a cabin is not secure for arrival in the final 2-3 minutes of the flight.

Eg, bottles and glasses still not collected, the curtains not open and fastened, the curtain at the front of the cabin not secure.
Old Mar 24, 2015, 11:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
AIUI, there should be a go-around.

Did this happen to you? Was the cabin still not secure on landing?
Old Mar 24, 2015, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
The flight crew would not have been given the cabin secure signal and would call to give a prompt, if the cabin could not be secured they would instruct air traffic control of the situation.
Old Mar 24, 2015, 11:31 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Globaliser
AIUI, there should be a go-around.

Did this happen to you? Was the cabin still not secure on landing?
Yes this did happen to me.
Old Mar 24, 2015, 11:32 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Can I help you
The flight crew would not have been given the cabin secure signal and would call to give a prompt, if the cabin could not be secured they would instruct air traffic control of the situation.
They appear to have given the secure signal as we landed unsecure.
Old Mar 24, 2015, 11:34 am

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, Club Carlson Gold, HHonors Gold, Best Western Diamond Select, BA Blue
Go-around. Happened to me a while back. The captain explained that the go-around was due to the cabin not being secured for landing.
Old Mar 24, 2015, 11:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by KeaneJohn
They appear to have given the secure signal as we landed unsecure.
Well all I can say is that someone wasn't following procedures, do you know if the flight crew knew about this after landing?
Old Mar 24, 2015, 11:53 am
Original Poster

Well all I can say is that someone wasn't following procedures, do you know if the flight crew knew about this after landing?
I think the Captain or FO (whover was coming out on disembarkation) heard me say to the cabin crew that we had left the uncollected bottles and glasses on the table as we did not want to put them in the seat pockets in case they were broken by our knees due to the lack of legroom. We held onto them for landing

I am guessing that the crew simply ran out of time. The captain gave the 10 mins to landing about 2 mins after saying it was 20 mins or so to to. We landed 27 minutes earlier than scheduled. You could still hear them eating their dinner overflying The Shard and then one person rushed through the cabin with landing cards at that stage.
Old Mar 24, 2015, 11:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sounds incompetent.
Old Mar 24, 2015, 12:07 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver,clubcard,clubcard plus, BA Amex................ And Mucci x3 ;)
Sounds incompetent.

And dangerous !!

cs
Old Mar 24, 2015, 12:15 pm

Happend to me a while ago. A couple of cabin crew members were still walking around in the front galley when the wheels touched ground. They looked confused when it happen, as if they though it still was some time before touchdown.

Don't remember exactly which airline, but it was in Europe and probably on one of the legacy carriers.
Old Mar 24, 2015, 12:44 pm

Programs: BA Gold GGL
Originally Posted by KeaneJohn
I think the Captain or FO (whover was coming out on disembarkation) heard me say to the cabin crew that we had left the uncollected bottles and glasses on the table as we did not want to put them in the seat pockets in case they were broken by our knees due to the lack of legroom. We held onto them for landing

Lol.

A double blow. A safety complaint and an opportunity to complain about the new seats!

(My bolding.)
Old Mar 24, 2015, 12:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
It's happened to me, too. SOP on that aircraft (not BA) was that one catering trolley would be taken from the aft galley to the forward galley and stowed there as the last step in clearing up.

When we touched down, the trolley was literally half way up the aircraft. The cabin crew member had the presence of mind to apply the brakes and hold on firmly to the trolley through the landing roll.
Old Mar 24, 2015, 12:57 pm

Programs: Mucci de la Cuisine Aérienne du Réseau Courte Durée de British Airways
Keanejohn, was this a BA flight and if so where were you flying from/to?

I am staggered that cabin secure was given if the cabin was still unsecure with glasses and tables out. Did the crew walk through checking all the seatbelts were done up.
Old Mar 24, 2015, 12:58 pm
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

What exactly was the sequence of announcements? I thought "20 minutes to landing" was long haul, and "10 minutes to landing" was short haul? I don't recall ever hearing both announcements.

On long hall there is also the 40 minute "use the loo now" announcement.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.