Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

TP requirement to retain gold threshold changed during the membership year

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TP requirement to retain gold threshold changed during the membership year

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2015, 6:25 am

Programs: BA GGL GFL, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by Moscowmule
Hi. I am in this exact situation - my membership year runs from 8th June and according to my account, I retained gold in March 2015 (having been working towards the 800 renewal threshold). However, I checked my account yesterday and where previously it stated that I had retained gold and was working towards my next benefit, it now states I need 410 more points to retain gold!! No email, no warning from BAEC. Fortunately, I have a flight back to UK on 8th June that will take me over the 1500 level. However, I will be pointing out to BAEC that changing the goalposts with 1 month to go is a tad unfair.....
Just seen the same on my account with July 8th year end. Hit 800 point target before the end of last year and currently on 1415 tier points. As BA had told me I had retained Gold before the end of last year, I have been using other airlines more than I perhaps would have done in order to retain status with them too. Changing the target after telling you you have hit it isn't really what I was was expecting from BA, even more reason for me to concentrate on other schemes. Was also hit by the removal of a million Avios from my account earlier this year during that fiasco that were subsequently returned and given the continually diminishing standards, this is the straw that broke the camel's back.
Old May 18, 2015, 3:28 am

And now showing as 'Gold membership retained'!
Old May 18, 2015, 3:39 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by iambic
this is the straw that broke the camel's back.
Originally Posted by iambic
And now showing as 'Gold membership retained'!
It sounds like the camel was a bit of a hypochondriac and its back was just slightly strained
Old May 18, 2015, 4:47 am

Originally Posted by paul4040
I don't think you'll get much sympathy about the Euro thresholds, as your profile location says you are based in the UK...
Old May 20, 2015, 7:45 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Disco Volante
Then too, sympathy wears after so many empty threats to leave BA or to sue. I am not saying this is/was an empty threat, but it is hard to take such comments seriously anymore
Old May 21, 2015, 9:41 am
Suspended

Programs: Executive Club
Originally Posted by GarynotJerry
Then too, sympathy wears after so many empty threats to leave BA or to sue. I am not saying this is/was an empty threat, but it is hard to take such comments seriously anymore
I think most companies nowadays dismiss you out of hand, if you start talking taking your business elsewhere or suing. I know my company definitely is of the attitude that if the person really felt that way, they wouldn't be complaining to us, they'd actually BE talking to a solicitor, or in the case of pulling their business, their purchase department or whatever.
Old May 22, 2015, 3:42 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by FlyingPhoenix
I think most companies nowadays dismiss you out of hand, if you start talking taking your business elsewhere or suing. I know my company definitely is of the attitude that if the person really felt that way, they wouldn't be complaining to us, they'd actually BE talking to a solicitor, or in the case of pulling their business, their purchase department or whatever.
It probably depends. I imagine American companies take these sort of threats more seriously, as Americans are much quicker to actually sue, rather than just talk about it like Brits, who seem to enjoy a bit of a moan, but don't generally DO anything.
Old May 25, 2015, 7:21 am

Originally Posted by Paralytic
It sounds like the camel was a bit of a hypochondriac and its back was just slightly strained
Perhaps it/I just had the hump?
Old Jun 1, 2015, 3:27 am

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
Hi all, just looking for some updates on this topic...

I logged into my BAEC account today and for the past year I have also been at 800 TP Gold renewal. I am 40 TP away from retaining. I know that I was lucky to get another year of 800 TP Gold - next year I'll be happy to attain 1500.

Anyway, I log on today and I've gone from needing 40 TP to 760. My year ends 8th August.

I'm miffed to be honest and hope that its a glitch and that when I net the additional 40 (flights are already booked) that it will tick over to renewed. I would have had no issue if my year started at 1500 tier points but to change it now when I dont realistically have enough time in the next 8 weeks to get the additional points feels wrong.

Anyone else been in this situation? If so, what was the outcome?
Old Jun 9, 2015, 7:12 pm

Originally Posted by LaydeeSarah
I'm miffed to be honest and hope that its a glitch and that when I net the additional 40 (flights are already booked) that it will tick over to renewed. I would have had no issue if my year started at 1500 tier points but to change it now when I dont realistically have enough time in the next 8 weeks to get the additional points feels wrong.
Ditto here. Was just 30 TPs away from reaching the magic 800 needed to retain Gold, checked today, and my total has shot up to 1500.

Ironically, I was just about to take a flight to get over the 800TPs.

Got a complete brush off from calling the BAEC, who assured me that I must be mistaken, and the 800 Tier Points for gold level was removed years ago.

Well, yes, it was, but there are a very very few members who still have an 800 TP level.

NB: Just a bit of history for those who are new to this parish: when the goalposts for Gold were moved from 800 to 1500 TPs, the BAEC gave those who didn't change their address and who retained gold three more years of the 800 TP level. Those who were ALSO Gold DC when BD folded also got another years free gold added on top.
BA change Executive Club: Bronze & Tier Changes

So I should have - and indeed my screen last month showed I had a 800 TP target for god status.

Now, BA just unilaterally move the goal posts. Now email, no contact, and deny it ever existed. VERY VERY bad form.
Old Jun 9, 2015, 10:55 pm

Originally Posted by LaydeeSarah
Hi all, just looking for some updates on this topic...

I logged into my BAEC account today and for the past year I have also been at 800 TP Gold renewal. I am 40 TP away from retaining. I know that I was lucky to get another year of 800 TP Gold - next year I'll be happy to attain 1500.

Anyway, I log on today and I've gone from needing 40 TP to 760. My year ends 8th August.

Anyone else been in this situation? If so, what was the outcome?
I think the way the IT changes were handled left a bit to be desired but BAEC will say you have had 3 years to plan for the changes and earn the extra points. So I would say the most realistic scenario is to take it in the chin and move on.
Old Jun 9, 2015, 11:06 pm

Originally Posted by lorkers
Ditto here. Was just 30 TPs away from reaching the magic 800 needed to retain Gold, checked today, and my total has shot up to 1500.

Ironically, I was just about to take a flight to get over the 800TPs.

Got a complete brush off from calling the BAEC, who assured me that I must be mistaken, and the 800 Tier Points for gold level was removed years ago.

Well, yes, it was, but there are a very very few members who still have an 800 TP level.

NB: Just a bit of history for those who are new to this parish: when the goalposts for Gold were moved from 800 to 1500 TPs, the BAEC gave those who didn't change their address and who retained gold three more years of the 800 TP level. Those who were ALSO Gold DC when BD folded also got another years free gold added on top.
BA change Executive Club: Bronze & Tier Changes

So I should have - and indeed my screen last month showed I had a 800 TP target for god status.

Now, BA just unilaterally move the goal posts. Now email, no contact, and deny it ever existed. VERY VERY bad form.
So BA advised people in Nov 2011 that the change would be made for those whose TP year end was after March 2012.

Then it gave 2 years grace taking that to March 2014.

Then it gave another year's grace to March 2015 making it 3 extra years at lower thresholds.

And you still feel hard done by?
Old Jun 10, 2015, 12:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
My memory is that the original notice from BA was annoying and disappointing for many, but clear. A couple of further years of grace seem to have been added to the original deadline, so the end was overdue.

Taking screenshots of the BAEC membership page suggests the OP was well aware of the thinness of the ice under his skates.
Old Jun 10, 2015, 1:30 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by cubpaws
Hello

Had my gold renewal on 9th January and was very pleased to see BA had extended the 800 TP threshold for another year for me (lucky I took a screen shot of the page on the BA app). Logged into my account today and lo and behold the threshold has gone up to 1500. Just to be clear, on the first day of my new membership year, the app stated I need 800 TP to retain gold in 2016, now its saying I need 1500. I'm Italy based and my address hasn't changed since being a BAEC member. Any thoughts ?
The fact that you took a screenshot would seem to suggest to me that you knew that this figure wasn't correct (as indeed you should have known given BA emailed you about this some four years ago) and it would be wholly disingenuous of you to attempt to hold BA to renewing your gold membership at 800TP by way of your screenshot.
Old Jun 10, 2015, 2:10 am

Programs: Usual Amex Cent. GGL.
My understanding (having chatted to LaydeeSarah off line) is that if you re-qualified at the old level by a certain date you got to keep the lower level but if by this date you hadn't re-qualified you were set to the normal level. That date has now passed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.