Community
Wiki Posts
Search

T5 and no lounge access. How will I cope?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2015, 11:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I survived for over 40 years without lounge access and it didn't do me any harm.I have enjoyed using them over the years since but the novelty wears off after a while.

I deliberately booked a short connection at T5 next trip knowing the chances of having the time to visit a lounge will be small. I'd rather have an extra hour in bed as well as a leisurely breakfast in the hotel that morning.
Old Mar 6, 2015, 11:36 am

Programs: GGL, BA lifetime Gold, Many Hotel Sparkles
Be strong
Old Mar 6, 2015, 11:47 am

Programs: BA bronze, Hertz pres circle, Marriott Platinum, hilton diamond
you'll wonder what the big deal is, unless you're so hard up that some soggy sandwiches and cheap wine hold an appeal. I've dropped to bronze too, but it makes pretty much zero difference to me, since about 80% of the time I've been to the airport I've gone to Plane food or Giraffe. The only thing vaguely missable is a little peace and quiet, and even then half the time the lounges seemed to have more people per sq/ft then the terminal.
Old Mar 6, 2015, 11:52 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Some of the gates for which there are currently no flights and also the quiet area behind the World Duty Free (I think?) tend to be much quieter than anywhere on GC or GF. If I didn't have the CCR access (CCR boardroom is usually quiet) and wanted some peace and quiet, I'd definitely head out to those areas.

You don't tend to get people talking loudly on the mobile phone that you often get in lounges either.

There are quite a few nice, quieter spots at T5 A area (B/C has even more but it's a bit of a trek to get back, so I don't recommend them unless your flight is leaving from B or C).
Old Mar 6, 2015, 11:58 am

You'll be fine. I surived no lounge access in Novemer together with two toddlers and a pregnant SWMBO. It was actually a decent experience. T5 does have a lot to offer even without lounges.

Now, currently enjoying supper in GF as I will be late home. And the wines on offer are honestly utter pants. 10-15EUR bottles. All of them.
Except the Tatti Prelude I suppose.

Old Mar 6, 2015, 12:02 pm
V10

Programs: MUCCI Gold
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
You don't tend to get people talking loudly on the mobile phone that you often get in lounges either.
Excellent - people talking loudly on mobiles are the absolute bane of airport lounges. The conversations never seem to sound that essential either, go on for an inordinate amount of time, and usually involve a not-insignificant amount of ego tripping.

Stewards that invite the offenders in no uncertain terms to get off the phone, or get out - as can be found in certain establishments - wouldn't be a bad idea.
Old Mar 6, 2015, 12:04 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by V10
Excellent - people talking loudly on mobiles are the absolute bane of airport lounges. The conversations never seem to sound that essential either, go on for an inordinate amount of time, and usually involve a not-insignificant amount of ego tripping.

Stewards that invite the offenders in no uncertain terms to get off the phone, or get out - as can be found in certain establishments - wouldn't be a bad idea.
Phone cubicles like they have at JL lounges, with talking on the mobile phone being banned in the rest of the lounges.

Plus a 'quiet area' in lounges where being loud in any way shape or form is not allowed.
Old Mar 6, 2015, 12:17 pm

Programs: BA Gold
T5 is actually pretty good for food offering outside the lounge. They even do table service at the Wetherspoons...
Old Mar 6, 2015, 12:18 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA Gold, AF Gold, some hotels...
Originally Posted by Petrus
You'll be fine. I surived no lounge access in Novemer together with two toddlers and a pregnant SWMBO.
I presume this was because you were travelling Y with only one status pax, or was it a deliberate decision? Despite threads to the contrary, I have found the T5 lounge agents surprisingly accommodating when I turn up with wife and 2 toddlers with just my card to get us in.
Old Mar 6, 2015, 1:16 pm

Programs: Iron Maiden FC, GE, Rapidly falling down the Tiers to oblivion.
Smile

Does the new wetherspoons (if it is still that) under the south lounges have hoegaarden? I know the old one did when you used to be able to see the bar itself before the remodel, assuming i am not dreaming....i like whetherspoons, loads of good beers on offer. And how do i keep putting smileys on my posts!! I hate iphones!!
Old Mar 6, 2015, 1:30 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Plane Food or Cavier House & Prunier if you just need champagne. I've never had to, but they're going to be tempting if I drop to Silver in a couple of months.
Old Mar 6, 2015, 1:41 pm
V10

Programs: MUCCI Gold
I have to admit that I've never felt particularly inclined towards seeking out champagne in airports. A decent pint will do me fine (assuming it's an appropriate time of day).

I'll hand my membership card back on the way out
Old Mar 6, 2015, 1:51 pm

Programs: DL-Gold; BAEC-Newbie Silver
The horror......being sarcastic now. You could do far worse than being stuck in LHR T5 without lounge access. Take this from an American.

The non-lounge options are prolly better anyways, food and drink wise.
Old Mar 6, 2015, 1:54 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Priority Club Blue, SPG Gold, Sofitel Gold, FB Ivory, BA Blue
Still no news of when/if T5 will get a paid lounge? I imagine it would be a money spinner for HAL.
Old Mar 6, 2015, 2:02 pm

Programs: BAEC , M&M , VIRGIN FC , FLYING BLUE
Originally Posted by umichguy
The horror......being sarcastic now. You could do far worse than being stuck in LHR T5 without lounge access. Take this from an American.

The non-lounge options are prolly better anyways, food and drink wise.
the problem is that some people have got accustomed to going into lounge and drinking champagne and wine they wouldn't dream of actually paying for themselves

then they start complaining when the wines on offer are only £8-£10 bottles

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.