Avios points rubbish?

Old Mar 5, 2015, 2:55 am
Original Poster

Avios points rubbish?

I have two American express/master duo credit cards that can earn Avios points when spending. I have earned more than 40k points after about one year. Ok, I went to Avios website, search London to Dubai in June, the price is 40k Avios points plus £311 cash. The cash part is explained as tax, fees etc. I can't believe it so I went to skyscanner and searched the same route and got the cheapest is 299 inc tax. So that means I have to pay more using Avios option!

I can't believe how rubbish are these Avios points. I chose these credit cards because I heard they can earn the points which can be used to buy flight tickets. Have anyone used Avios points for flights?
Old Mar 5, 2015, 3:14 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
A longhaul economy redemption on BA is one of the worst uses of avios points as you've found.

There are plenty of good redemption options including shorthaul redemptions, US domestic redemptions, longhaul business/first and certain partners that don't have high carrier surcharges (Aer Lingus, Air Berlin for example).

See also:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...ad-sticky.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...os-2015-a.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...tart-here.html
Old Mar 5, 2015, 3:32 am
Original Poster

Thanks, never used the points before. Will study.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 3:35 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
London to Germany on BA (with RFS at least) and then Germany to Dubai on Air Berlin -- with a stop in Germany for at least 24 hours -- will drive down the cash charge for the mileage ticket.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 6:03 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by nz6666
Thanks, never used the points before. Will study.
Better approach would be to study first rather than rant first ...
Old Mar 5, 2015, 6:08 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by UAPremExecflyer
You mean actually reading about the pro and cons of a specific FFP before applying for a card?
Old Mar 5, 2015, 7:16 am

Programs: Cruise addict and AirBNB Plat :)
Originally Posted by UAPremExecflyer
What a way to welcome new member
Old Mar 5, 2015, 7:20 am
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Welcome to FlyerTalk, nz6666!

As your query is specific to Avios, we'll move your thread over to the BA forum for further discussion. Thanks. /JY1024, TravelBuzz co-moderator
Old Mar 5, 2015, 7:25 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by aSiAnRiCk
What a way to welcome new member
I would hope that most people would read the very helpful sticky before posting as a new member, let alone applying for a credit card and collecting miles.

And welcome to FT
Old Mar 5, 2015, 7:27 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Welcome to Flyertalk nz6666

Welcome to Flyertalk nz6666, welcome in particular to the BA forum. If you are travelling economy then they are best used in certain scenarios, such as single trips (certain routes), Reward Flight Saver within Europe, non stop redemptions where there are no Surcharges (e.g. with USA), and where having a flexible ticket is worth something. In that respect your DXB comparison was between a flexible redemption and presumably an inflexible cheapo ticket. But welcome on board, and I hope we will see plenty more of you.

If you want a slightly humour-led introduction to this, the first part of this thread may be helpful, even though it's not specifically targeted at you.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...tart-here.html
Old Mar 5, 2015, 7:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

If you have the option to transfer to another rewards programme then I would suggest you do that instead. Do some research to see which one would suit your needs most.

If you're stuck to Avios then you just have to make the best of it. As you found out, long haul economy awards on BA are on the whole a waste of Avios.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 7:39 am

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, Club Carlson Gold, HHonors Gold, Best Western Diamond Select, BA Blue
I have two American express/master duo credit cards that can earn Avios points when spending. I have earned more than 40k points after about one year. Ok, I went to Avios website, search London to Dubai in June, the price is 40k Avios points plus £311 cash. The cash part is explained as tax, fees etc. I can't believe it so I went to skyscanner and searched the same route and got the cheapest is 299 inc tax. So that means I have to pay more using Avios option!

I can't believe how rubbish are these Avios points. I chose these credit cards because I heard they can earn the points which can be used to buy flight tickets. Have anyone used Avios points for flights?
I fly LHR-DXB for leisure at least twice a year. I've had these pains too! I've spoken of these pains to BA customer relations many times (assuming I could actually book a redemption seat). BA's attitude was quite uncaring and unsympathetic, to put it mildly.

Over the last decade I've flown Emirates on the LHR-DXB route. For about the same price as the taxes you would pay on a BA redemption flight, you can fly in a nice A380 (as of a few years ago) with lovely crew and you get treated like a king/queen. And that's in economy! Plus you get Skywards miles that give you far better availability on redemption flights.

I actually look forward to an Emirates flight in economy, which is not something I can say about travelling on BA WT.

I learned from these very forums that travelling long-haul out of a London airport using Avios is financial disaster.

Having said all that, I was delighted to be able to book a short-haul LHR-EDI flight for just 35GBP and 9,000 Avios last week. So, it's not all bad. Just mostly.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 7:53 am

Programs: Seniors Bus Pass
Rumbataz, you forgot to say that last week was for a return too!
Old Mar 5, 2015, 8:15 am

Programs: BAEC Blue, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by rumbataz
Having said all that, I was delighted to be able to book a short-haul LHR-EDI flight for just 35GBP and 9,000 Avios last week. So, it's not all bad. Just mostly.
Rumbataz - Have you ever thought of flying one way EDI to GLA with a stopover in London for 4500 + £17.50. Very useful if you don't mind doing the trip from glasgow airport to "home" and it will disappear come 28th April
Old Mar 5, 2015, 8:24 am

Programs: BA-GGL, SU-G Agean, G,, Hhonours D, Starwood G, IHG G,
Rubbish Collector

Please send to me. I like my WT+ to CW and no extra cost redemptions. 64k and pay for WTP... That's the kinda rubbish I like

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.