Wiki Posts
Search

On board wifi

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2015, 12:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
On board wifi

Reading another thread got me thinking, will BA ever introduce onboard wifi? Why are they already?
Old Mar 4, 2015, 12:56 am

Throughout 2014, BA had onboard wifi ('High Life Connect') on one 747, G-CIVG. I couldn't tell you if it is still going -- it was supposed to be a trial to gain customer feedback. One Mile At A Time (lucky9876coins) reviews it here.

A while ago, BA announced a partnership with Inmarsat to offer ground-to-air connectivity on UK domestic flights in 2016, before rolling out to the european routes at a later date. BA Press Release here (it's at the bottom, after the stuff about the new cabins).

To enhance its short-haul services British Airways is in discussions with Inmarsat about leading Europe in a new era of broadband in the air. Starting with UK domestic routes they intend to roll-out Europe’s first ground-based 4G broadband network giving customers the internet access they expect on the ground while in the air.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 2:52 am

Programs: BA GGLfL
Existing wifi on the LCY>JFK route is slow and intermittent so it would have to be a much better product to make it worth rolling out across the fleet
Old Mar 4, 2015, 3:13 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, HH Diamond
I travelled on "Jumbo Net" and couldn't get it to work.
Old Mar 16, 2015, 10:04 am

Programs: BA Silver
Just flew G-CIVG.
During the pre-flight announcement a member of CC mentioned that the aircraft had Wi-Fi !

After the ascent I immediately switched off the 'safety mode' on my mobile phone and saw the 'BA WIFI' network.

Unfortunately it wouldn't let me past the 'security' screen where one has to enter the captcha.

I let a member of the cabin crew know about the problem and she went to see the CSM. Then she returned and informed me that they were trying to get it working. Some time later she came again to apologize saying that there were nothing wrong with my phone, that they tried to use it with their own phones with no luck and said that they were really sorry.

The cost of using wi-fi would have been Ł5 for 1 hour and Ł10 for 24 hours which is more than reasonable (well, in my opinion, it should be free for CW and F).

Anyway, the flight had another very useful service - we could send text messages. I really liked the feature, while I'm not sure about the cost. It says that it uses normal roaming charges, but what country is the plane supposed to be?

I think it could be Norway, because my other phone sent me a text message saying "Welcome to Norway", which is brilliant, because that means that I can use it without any extra cost.

To sum up, having wi-fi and text messaging services in flight is really exciting, I can't understand why BA is delaying the introduction of such wonderful services to their whole fleet.
Old Mar 16, 2015, 10:15 am

Programs: BA LTG, Defender of the turnip.
Was on G-CIVG middle of last year and found it very flakey, that said have seen similar problems with wifi on AA transcon flights. Probably just too many people using very limited bandwidth.
Old Mar 16, 2015, 12:09 pm

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Platinum, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by Ivanerr
To sum up, having wi-fi and text messaging services in flight is really exciting, I can't understand why BA is delaying the introduction of such wonderful services to their whole fleet.
One of the things I enjoy about flying is that I CAN'T be contacted during the flight. It's nice to have some peace and quiet and "me" time. I suspect that I'm not the only one.

I can't think of anything worse than being surrounded by people tapping away on their smartphones. It's already bad enough when you get people playing games on their phones and not putting their phone on silent.
Old Mar 16, 2015, 12:22 pm

Programs: BA Gold,, Hilton HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by bibbju
One of the things I enjoy about flying is that I CAN'T be contacted during the flight. It's nice to have some peace and quiet and "me" time. I suspect that I'm not the only one.

I can't think of anything worse than being surrounded by people tapping away on their smartphones. It's already bad enough when you get people playing games on their phones and not putting their phone on silent.
Each to their own I guess but I would appreciate having internet connectivity on my flights especially if they are work trips and if I am on day flights. I usually save my work offline but there is always something that you need to research if you are putting together or refining your presentation on the way to an important conference.
I don't think I will be happy with allowing phone calls on planes as that might be too disturbing but I don't see why we shouldn't have internet.
I guess it is one of those things that BA are getting away for now without having to invest in the technology.
Old Mar 16, 2015, 12:31 pm

Programs: "Only" 50,000 TPs until BA GGLfL
Originally Posted by blindy
Each to their own I guess but I would appreciate having internet connectivity on my flights especially if they are work trips and if I am on day flights. I usually save my work offline but there is always something that you need to research if you are putting together or refining your presentation on the way to an important conference.
I don't think I will be happy with allowing phone calls on planes as that might be too disturbing but I don't see why we shouldn't have internet.
I guess it is one of those things that BA are getting away for now without having to invest in the technology.
You don't need to use onboard wifi - but more and more airlines are offering it [AA/QR amongst others], and when one does want/need it it's hugely helpful (IMHO). Just another reason BA are slipping behind the competition
Old Mar 16, 2015, 1:00 pm

Originally Posted by Ivanerr
Anyway, the flight had another very useful service - we could send text messages. I really liked the feature, while I'm not sure about the cost. It says that it uses normal roaming charges, but what country is the plane supposed to be?

I think it could be Norway, because my other phone sent me a text message saying "Welcome to Norway", which is brilliant, because that means that I can use it without any extra cost.

When Ryanair used to offer text messaging in flight - I was with O2 and they used to have a specific "airplane" option when you looked up the different countries for roaming.
Old Mar 16, 2015, 1:04 pm

Programs: BA Gold
I travelled on the Baby Bus service LCY-JFK last year ... couldn't get the wifi to work but it was quite novel being able to text people from somewhere over the Atlantic!!
Old Mar 16, 2015, 1:26 pm

Programs: BAEC / Hilton Honors / Accor
It would most definitely be something I would love BA to have on their long haul aircraft. Ok maybe not expect them to install it on to existing long haul birds but I certainly think BA missed a trick by not installing wifi on the new arrivals such as the A380 B787.

AA webpage states they charge the following, 2 Hour Pass $12, 4 hour pass $17, duration of flight pass $19. So something in the region of Ł12-15 for a duration of flight service is a price I would happily pay if a reliable service was offered in Y and Y+.

J & F they could possibly offer it for free for say the first 4hrs.
Old Mar 16, 2015, 1:50 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by Waffles1
When Ryanair used to offer text messaging in flight - I was with O2 and they used to have a specific "airplane" option when you looked up the different countries for roaming.
Thanks, I checked the website (Three) and found out that outgoing messages cost 50p. Still not bad for something urgent!

Well, it's time to introduce "quiet" cabins on aircrafts
To be honest I can feel your pain, I even shush people chatting on planes when I can not concentrate on a tranquil and distant symphony of four Rolls Royce engines accompanied by the percussion ensemble of cutlery gently tinkling in the galleys.
Old Mar 16, 2015, 2:38 pm

Programs: BAEC , M&M , VIRGIN FC , FLYING BLUE

I am with you on this one

I recall a post on here quite some time ago someone admitting they made a voice call on the LCY-JFK service---even though it was supposedly not possible to do so
Old Mar 16, 2015, 3:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by CaroFos
I travelled on the Baby Bus service LCY-JFK last year ... couldn't get the wifi to work but it was quite novel being able to text people from somewhere over the Atlantic!!
That may possibly be because the Onair service is not wifi it is actually gprs so you need to enable your phone/blackberry and if connecting a laptop do so via a local hotspot.

On Air has lost its appeal to me now that EE have realised it is not Switzerland (and thus cheap for International Roaming inclusive customers) but is horrendously expensive "Maritime".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.