Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

HBO fares - Have to pay to select seat in advance [free for GCH/SCH/BCHs @ 14 Jun 17]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 7, 2015, 5:53 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NWIFlyer

Hand Baggage Only fares (HBO) are available on domestic and EuroTraveller routes. They are offered at a lower price to those able to travel without checked baggage on point to point journeys only - they are not offered with connections, stopovers or with Club Europe. There isn't a special fare bucket for HBO, it's just a discount to all domestic/ET fare buckets, so even expensive flexible tickets offer HBO. The discount varies depending on route. For example, going HBO on LHR-DUB gives a Ł10 discount; Ł15 on LHR-PRG; and Ł20 on LHR-ATH. Online Travel Agents often book into these fares (including building stopovers) and are sometimes less than transparent about the baggage restrictions during the booking process. HBO fares do not earn OnBusiness credits.

BAEC status passengers from Bronze upwards get advance seat choice with these tickets.

How to get seat allocation if HBO and without status:
    - Pay up. You can pay up at OLCI if you don't like the seat. Costs vary from Ł7 to Ł21 per sector as a minimum, with differential pricing employed for better seats (e.g. an exit row on LHR-DUB was Ł23 in June 2017). Usually, but not always, this invalidates the cost saving of HBO. You can also pay up in Manage My Booking (MMB) before OLCI.
    - Cancel OLCI at the "confirm contact details" stage. Go in again and/or later and you may be offered another seat.
    - Corporate travel bookings still offer seating to HBO in some cases. Sometimes this ability is temporary and doesn't stick.
    - Ask check-in or the lounge agent for a better seat, so far this seems to be possible. Lounge agents won't be able to assist where they aren't part of the ground handling for BA (e.g. LBA).
    - If your airport has a Self Service Check In (SSCI) machine AND you do not print your boarding pass (see below) then you can select another seat there provided check-in is still open, typically up to 46 minutes before take off. So if you are being allocated a rotten seat and you can see better seats available, you can take a risk and complete/commence check-in later.

SSCI machines are available at: LHR, LGW, LCY, MAN, EDI (on the general purpose airport machines, but only those by the BA check-in area), NCE, BRU, OSL, BLL, AAR, MUC, AMS.
    They are NOT available at: ABZ, BHD, GLA, LBA, NCL, DUB, CDG, ORY, SVG, DUS, TXL, MAH, CFU, OLB, CTA, CAG, FDH, ANE, UIP, BIO, HER, SVQ, PMI, BRI.
    You can also do this operation the night before at LGW and LHR, details here.

By "printing boarding pass" we mean not selecting that option at OLCI, or saving, emailing, faxing and/or downloading the boarding pass on the App.
    Print Wikipost

HBO fares - Have to pay to select seat in advance [free for GCH/SCH/BCHs @ 14 Jun 17]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2017, 11:45 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
    I am, finally, able to select seats for all my upcoming HBO bookings, extending into 2018.

Strangely, I had almost without exception been pre-assigned a middle seat (B or E) at the back of the plane. I wonder if that's connected with my recent MCOL success against British Airways?
    Old Jun 23, 2017, 3:39 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Avis Presidents Club
    Originally Posted by swoods88
    I too am now able to select seats for free on bookings in July that were made pre-14th June. This wasn't the case yesterday.

Still no news on the refunds though.... at least part of the process is working for me!
    So I have now received the refunds for all of the seats I had paid for... I did fill in the claim as per c-w-s' suggestion... so not entirely sure whether the refund was because of this or just the system automatically refunding.

The other thought I did have as that I was booking through the Belgian POS... not sure if that made a different with the refunds?
    Old Jun 27, 2017, 11:54 pm

So my strange experience is as follows:
    - Flight last week, no refund received
    - Flight next week, refund received
    - Flight the week after, no refund received

There is no rhyme or reason!
    Old Jun 28, 2017, 1:01 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
    Originally Posted by flashware
    There is no rhyme or reason!
    That, unfortunately, is British Airways (and, in particular, British Airways' IT) in a nutshell.
    Old Jun 29, 2017, 6:44 am

Programs: BA, SQ
    Originally Posted by Wong Jnr
    Just paid Ł46 for exit row seats on a flight I booked yesterday.
    Let's see how long it'll take for the refund to get processed.

Do you think I'll get a thank you from BA for helping with their short term cashflow?
    Ok I've now automatically received one leg of the refund yesterday for a flight next Friday returning Sunday.
    I presume it's for the Friday leg and I "should" get the other Ł23 early next week.
    Old Jun 30, 2017, 2:38 pm

Originally Posted by Wong Jnr
    Ok I've now automatically received one leg of the refund yesterday for a flight next Friday returning Sunday.
    I presume it's for the Friday leg and I "should" get the other Ł23 early next week.
    Yep, I've noticed the refunds come on a per flight basis. Have now received for my ones last week. Now just the last of the upcoming ones to be credited back. At least they're coming through without having to chase. ^
    Old Jul 7, 2017, 2:12 pm

Does anyone know if it's possible to use the SSCI kiosk at LCY to print boarding pass and change seat for a flight the following day from LHR at 7am (so within the 24 hour check in period). I'm assuming the answer is that it isn't possible to use those at a different London airport. But just thought I would check. Thanks!!!!!
    Old Jul 7, 2017, 2:19 pm
    FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
    It isn't possible, let alone from a different terminal (last time I checked).
    Old Jul 7, 2017, 7:40 pm

Programs: BD*G, A3*G, BA-S, Accor Gold, IHG Amb
    Originally Posted by BA6501
    Originally Posted by Jrichardf
    Does anyone know if it's possible to use the SSCI kiosk at LCY to print boarding pass and change seat for a flight the following day from LHR at 7am (so within the 24 hour check in period). I'm assuming the answer is that it isn't possible to use those at a different London airport. But just thought I would check. Thanks!!!!!
    I have previously obtained my boarding pass for a Gatwick departure when I was in the Glasgow Lounge. Two seperate booking on different days but within 24 hours.
    However, I cannot recall if I'd already checked-in online.

Maybe worth asking at at desk if you're checked-in online?
    Old Jul 8, 2017, 9:38 am
    FlyerTalk Evangelist

In my tries I was not checked in. That might be the difference.
    Old Jul 8, 2017, 10:24 am
    Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
    In my tries I was not checked in. That might be the difference.
    I don't think it works even then, at least you can't collect your boarding pass from the wrong LHR terminal.
    Old Jul 11, 2017, 11:09 am

OK, brill, thanks so much for the info. Now, I know I'm being incredibly petty here!!!! but if I paid for seat selection for one person, would the other person on the booking be seated next to the paid one. Realise nothing is guaranteed. Am flying to Rome on 767-300 and really don't want to sit in the centre bit of plane. I'd be happy with any of the window/aisle combos at the side. Think I should should probably just pay for both of us but just trying to save myself 11 quid!

Thanks!!!!!
    Old Jul 11, 2017, 11:53 am
    FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don't think you can pay to select a seat for a single person - at least in the booking process it says "all passengers must have a seat before proceeding".
    Old Jul 11, 2017, 12:02 pm

I don't think you can pay to select a seat for a single person - at least in the booking process it says "all passengers must have a seat before proceeding".
    Oh yes. Just tried it. You're absolutely right. Thanks.
    Old Jul 16, 2017, 4:05 pm

Programs: BA GGL
    Since the free seat selection for status holders was brought in, is it possible to use a Gold TCP request to select a seat for somebody with no status on an HBO booking?

Sorry if this has been answered, on mobile and struggling to search.

Thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.