Gate A14

Old Jan 1, 2014, 4:45 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel
Original Poster

Talking Gate A14

Welcome to Gate A10 A13 A14! We're delighted to have you and please make yourself comfortable while you wait to board. All members of FlyerTalk are welcome to post in this thread; a special welcome is extended to our Executive Club members and oneworld customers.

Gate A14 serves many purposes, but primarily as a place to hang out and talk about stuff not directly related to BA and the Executive Club. Granted, the chosen title may project the odd negative connotation or two but we all end up taking the escalator down to the awaiting bus at some point or another. For newcomers of the BA Board, we'd like you to use this thread to introduce yourself and treat it as transition point to richer pastures.

Have fun! (and hold on tight!)
Old Jan 1, 2014, 5:11 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Yes, but what happened to Gate 4?
Old Jan 1, 2014, 1:45 pm

Programs: Alaskans fly everywhere on any aircraft going there!
It's been enhanced!
Old Jan 1, 2014, 3:18 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Bl**dy typical, another gate change for the sake of it.
Old Jan 1, 2014, 4:26 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver. Tracking for TP run.
Luggage experience BA vs others

So, maybe I'll get moved on but perhaps this fits in this thread. Apologies in advance if not.

Have travelled BA many, many times LHR to GVA checking in my hardshell TUMI suitcase since it was purchased. No issues, no marks, no nothing.

Clearly lulled into false sense of security, I checked it in once with Flybe SOU to DUB , on a flight with only about 20 people when the plane was a mere 50ft from the check in desk, , and darn it, if the thing didn't emerge cracked and with stress marks all over it.
The arirline asked me to send it to a luggage handling centre for *makes speech marks with fingers* "Inspection". Next thing the suitcase is returned to me *makes more speech marks* "Repaired" ..... but very badly, in fact worse than when I sent it off, because the main stress mark has been surplanted by a large round heat mark and the plastic coating torn. When I queried who authorised repair rather than inspection ( because I certainly didn't) I was told the airline did and I would have to pick up any issue with them.

Incidentally, my flight was best part of 450 return....coffee, tea and bag handling extra, natch.

Moral of the story? Only that in my experience and by comparison BA do pretty well given the sheer volume they deal with. Secondly Mr CP was right when he said don't check it in. ( maybe that's what hurts the most... )
YMMV

Last edited by Champagne please; Jan 1, 2014 at 4:36 pm Reason: rogue 'e' in moral!
Old Jan 1, 2014, 4:40 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Hertz pres circle, Marriott Platinum, hilton diamond
You've done ok, on a ba trip to JFK my samsonite wheels seem to have been perfectly filled down to almost semi circles... Never seen anything like it before
Old Jan 1, 2014, 5:15 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver. Tracking for TP run.
Originally Posted by aceman
You've done ok, on a ba trip to JFK my samsonite wheels seem to have been perfectly filled down to almost semi circles... Never seen anything like it before
I guess with your remaining 2% disposable income you could buy a new one
Old Jan 2, 2014, 1:42 am

Programs: BA bronze, Hertz pres circle, Marriott Platinum, hilton diamond
Originally Posted by Champagne please
I guess with your remaining 2% disposable income you could buy a new one
No, but I could probably just about stretch to 2 new wheels...
Old Jan 2, 2014, 2:01 am

Programs: BA bronze
Sitting in the QF J lounge at SYD and have some idiot facetiming his kids via the ipad and shouting...if only Apple had headphones with a built in microphone....that way he would not be disturbing the rest of the lounge...
Old Jan 6, 2014, 10:55 pm

Programs: ABBA
Originally Posted by Speedbird218
Sitting in the QF J lounge at SYD and have some idiot facetiming his kids via the ipad and shouting...if only Apple had headphones with a built in microphone....that way he would not be disturbing the rest of the lounge...
Stand behind him and star yelling obceneties.
Old Jan 7, 2014, 1:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Delices Exotiques,Order of the Platinum Hairbrush,Her Royal Diamond
OP what happened to A11 and A12, did you forget those years?
Old Jan 7, 2014, 2:58 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Yes, but what happened to Gate 4?
At least A14 is closer to the champagne bar in Galleries For than 4 ever was!
Old Jan 7, 2014, 4:24 am

Programs: BAEC
Deleted

Last edited by Nimrod1965; Dec 29, 2016 at 3:14 am
Old Jan 7, 2014, 6:25 am

Location: usually somewhere between 30000 and 40000 feet...but actually the English countryside
Programs: BA GGL/Lifetime Gold, EK Gold, Lowly M&M, Marriott tit, Hhonors Diamond, numerous others
Originally Posted by aceman
oddly enough, my dear old Mum went to Madeira over New Year and lost 1 wheel from her new case on arrival, another 1 when the coach dropped off at her hotel and finally the 3rd wheel back on arrival in Gatters.
Old Feb 5, 2014, 8:54 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

I'd like a take off like this when the QR 787 leaves Edinburgh.

(@ 1:57 on this video and sorry about the Ad which you can skip after 5 seconds)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OmqLsEhoOzY

Also the wing flex on this is quite amazing!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.