Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Grrrr... Grim Grenoble GNB

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2015, 1:20 pm
Original Poster

Thumbs down Grrrr... Grim Grenoble GNB

Just returned from GNB, and it was one of the poorer airport experiences I remember:

- No OLCI;

- Packed to the rafters, as if evacuating a disaster;

- BA Club queue unregulated, just one of three desks being mobbed by maybe 100 jostling to check-in;

- Club check-in agent (more to follow) when asked if all these pax are for Club, shrugged his shoulders and said "I hope so";

- Same, contract agent, when we do get to the desk, is confused as to which rows are J, which Y;

- Didn't priority tag bags, said it makes no difference anyway - which most of us know, but surprising to hear from staff - and then went on to say, "because this [GNB] is a small airport"!

- Advised removing FFP tags from our checked luggage to prevent their being stolen;

- No lounge, no refreshment vouchers. When asked about vouchers, check-in agent suggested we try asking at the airport info desk!

- Sat down and ordered refreshments at quite nice airport bar, only to have to gulp them down when flight was called 20 minutes early;

- On the plus side, brisk, very enjoyable flight to LGW, with a lovely, proactive crew;

- Of two checked bags, one on the belt first, the other last...

So, if traversing GNB, my advice is to keep both time and expectations at the airport to the bare minimum.
Old Feb 28, 2015, 10:03 pm

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
I've always done flight to Lyon and the bus to Grenoble. Lyon isn't exactly a large place, but it sounds a bit more organized than that!!
Old Feb 28, 2015, 10:37 pm

It's a minor regional airport, I wouldn't expect much more than a roof over my head.
Old Feb 28, 2015, 11:34 pm

Programs: Mucci des canapes, Skywards Gold, BAEC, IC Plat Amb, LH FTV
Sounds like a fairly standard experience in any alpine airport on a Saturday at the height of ski season.
Old Feb 28, 2015, 11:50 pm

Originally Posted by pomkiwi
Sounds like a fairly standard experience in any alpine airport on a Saturday at the height of ski season.
Or indeed any summer holiday destination at change over day

Not to make any excuses for the ground agent, but whether it's Thomson, Monarch or BA, it will make no difference to him, he is doing them all in the same day, maybe even within the hour.

Relax, it's your holiday
Old Mar 1, 2015, 2:45 am
Original Poster

I've used hundreds of smaller airports but GNB was among the worse experiences. I was not flying Monarch, Ryanair, Thomson or EasyJet, but BA, and, unfortunately, on this route it offers little advantage.

Of course it's busy during ski season, but utterly predictable. It also makes expedited check-in facilities all the more valuable. If BA offers dedicated Club check-in, it should be just that, and properly staffed.

I searched and found very little reference to GNB here, so I thought it was worth advising that BA provides few if any of the stated benefits of either J or FF status from this station. Lounge or vouchers would be nice, but at least the bar and restaurant are pleasant, and security and passport control efficient.
Old Mar 1, 2015, 2:51 am

Programs: BA Gold & HH Silver
GNB is one of those Airports that is busy for around 50 days per year, throw in some French indifference and you have a battle on your hands to drive up standards.
BA or bust and Calchas like this.
Old Mar 1, 2015, 3:19 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Sixt Platinum, HHons Diamond
I like the really small French regional airports such as BZR which is close to my second home and only has a couple of flights a day so is always hassle free even if it does lack facilities.
Old Mar 1, 2015, 3:49 am

Programs: BA Blue, EI Silver, Honours Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Vinotraveller
I like the really small French regional airports such as BZR which is close to my second home and only has a couple of flights a day so is always hassle free even if it does lack facilities.
Sometimes small is beautiful, we're travelling through La-Lida next week (on Thomas Cook) I think the airport only has three check-in desks! An advantage of these ski flights is that the majority don't tend to bring their entire weekly possessions into the cabin. I usually travel HBO, but my rule is one bag, so it'll just be my Ski Jacket and my iPad then!
Old Mar 1, 2015, 7:13 am

Programs: BA Gold; FB Silver; SPG; IHG Gold
I have flown into but not out of GNB and it is tiny. I can imagine that it's an underwhelming C experience. Mind you there are bigger airports (eg SVG) that are lounge-less.
Old Mar 1, 2015, 7:32 am

Programs: ABBA
Surely the point in choosing BA over the "no frills", is the ability to bypass the chaos through dedicated checkin, priority security, and a quiet lounge away from the chaos.
Old Mar 1, 2015, 7:56 am

Given how many people book BA without ever having lounge access, that's probably news to the company itself and many of its customers.
argonath likes this.
Old Feb 8, 2023, 1:04 am

Programs: Mucci, Diamond Status & on the Supreme Council des Conseillers, BA Ag, Bonvoy GFL/Plat, xVS Au
Has it improved at all for BA travellers in the last 8 years?
Old Feb 8, 2023, 2:19 am

Originally Posted by gliderpilot
Has it improved at all for BA travellers in the last 8 years?
No
Old Feb 8, 2023, 2:30 am
A13

Programs: BA Silver
Standard Grenoble experience.
I flew back on a Sunday morning last month and the airport was deserted, much nicer experience compared to the Saturdays i've always done previously..!
gliderpilot likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.