Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Cancelling fully-flex first class ticket after using lounge facilities

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2015, 1:46 pm

Programs: BA GGL, BA Amex Prem, Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, Sir Crazy8534 de l'ordres des aides de Pucci
Originally Posted by clubman
Actually if your profile is up to date and you are indeed a GCH, won't cost you a penny...
Ah, it is. But I haven't refunded an F ticket since I was elevated.
Something to look forward to....yippee

Last edited by crazy8534; Feb 23, 2015 at 1:53 pm
Old Feb 23, 2015, 2:15 pm

Programs: MUCCI

As I stated last time F fares are few and far between. Remember F is a very small cabin. This would soon flag up for sure....
Not possible in my view.
FD.
Old Feb 23, 2015, 2:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Delices Exotiques,Order of the Platinum Hairbrush,Her Royal Diamond
Originally Posted by Calchas
It's very easy, you can take the train out to T5C and back again.
Once I was at T5B ( I think), my flight was delayed by a few hrs, so I decided to go back to the CCR, couldn't figure out how to return, had to ask one of the attendants to take me back.

I still can't see how they can get back to security and immigration. But oh well, I won't be doing it. So never mind.
Old Feb 23, 2015, 2:22 pm

Programs: BA Gold, several other less interesting cards...
I was wondering when fraud would make an appearance in this discussion.

We can now spend the next few days arguing whether this counts as fraud or not. That's the form on this board, no?

Old Feb 23, 2015, 2:23 pm

Programs: BA GGL
I did once wonder if you could either not bother taking a really cheap one way ET flight, say one of the ones at £38, or arrive in the morning for an evening flight and spend the whole day quaffing before departure, but I didn't seriously think somebody would actually do it. Life is too short, surely? What's the max time before a flight that you can go through security and get let in anyways?
Old Feb 23, 2015, 2:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Elite Amb, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Platinum
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 8_1_3 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/600.1.4 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/8.0 Mobile/12B466 Safari/600.1.4)

Anytime from 5am if you're traveling that day in premium cabin or are a GCH, otherwise 3 hours prior to your flight.
Old Feb 23, 2015, 3:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by srbrenna

We can now spend the next few days arguing whether this counts as fraud or not. That's the form on this board, no?
I think you are deliberately misrepresenting our activities on this forum in order to gain yourself an unjust advantage (in this debate).

Originally Posted by snuffi
I did once wonder if you could either not bother taking a really cheap one way ET flight, say one of the ones at £38, or arrive in the morning for an evening flight and spend the whole day quaffing before departure, but I didn't seriously think somebody would actually do it. Life is too short, surely? What's the max time before a flight that you can go through security and get let in anyways?
You could, and indeed I was a guest in the CCR very recently for about 60 minutes on such a fare (actually a domestic O fare). I had a very enjoyable chat with my host and his friend.
Old Feb 23, 2015, 3:54 pm

I used to time my arrival at airports to arrive at the very last minute, and I nearly missed a couple. With lounge access comes a whole new approach where I am happy to spend an hour or more chilling out, and since I got it I've never been anywhere near being late. Although I did once get final call as I was TOO chilled out, it was in Helsinki I think, very nice lounge...

I'm off to IST this Friday on the afternoon service, and am taking a half day off work to get the flight as it leaves at 4ish. Maybe I'll take a whole day and arrive at GF at 5am on the dot for breakfast!!
Old Feb 23, 2015, 3:56 pm

Originally Posted by clubman
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 8_1_3 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/600.1.4 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/8.0 Mobile/12B466 Safari/600.1.4)

Anytime from 5am if you're traveling that day in premium cabin or are a GCH, otherwise 3 hours prior to your flight.
Good to know, thanks. Doubt I'd ever arrive 3 hours before a flight but in-transit could happen somewhere I suppose. Even London, as I've been stupid enough to do HKG to JFK via LHR before.
Old Feb 23, 2015, 3:57 pm
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by snuffi
After a week working away, I'll generally leave work at midday on Friday to head to the airport. Sit in the lounge for a few hours enjoying a tipple before heading home.

I flew to LHR a couple of weeks ago. Straight through connections to the departure lounge. Did some work and enjoyed the T2 lounge hospitality before getting the last flight back to MAN. That was a total of about 7 hours in lounges, to get back where I started. Weirdo is the phrase that most people give when I tell them
Old Feb 23, 2015, 4:22 pm

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
After a week working away, I'll generally leave work at midday on Friday to head to the airport. Sit in the lounge for a few hours enjoying a tipple before heading home.

I flew to LHR a couple of weeks ago. Straight through connections to the departure lounge. Did some work and enjoyed the T2 lounge hospitality before getting the last flight back to MAN. That was a total of about 7 hours in lounges, to get back where I started. Weirdo is the phrase that most people give when I tell them
While I wouldn't go as far as to say weirdo, I am curious as to why you'd do that!
Old Feb 23, 2015, 4:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by srbrenna

I would tend to argue it's the act of someone who's mentally deranged rather than a fraudster.
Old Feb 23, 2015, 4:36 pm

Programs: FT
could probably get away with once.
Old Feb 23, 2015, 4:40 pm
FF

Programs: BA GGL / AAdvantage Million Miler + Plat / TK Gold (not any more) / Hilton Diamond (via GGL)
Originally Posted by albireo
Sometimes, some people have an odd behavior.

I remember that, visiting the US as a teenager in the early 80's, I have used TWA planes essentially as a youth hostel. That airline sold a 30-day pass with unlimited standby domestic flying, for $300 (735 of today's dollars) if I recall well. I would catch a red-eye flight just for the sake of having a few seats to sleep into for the night, and shorter flights at meal time for the free food (yes, those were the days when hot meals were still served in coach on domestic flights).

But that was then. Almost inexistent security, airport hassle etc. And I was 17, broke, eager to travel on a dime, and having fun at flying anyway, so the time spent on the planes was not "lost".
OMG! I thought it was just me and a couple of friends who did that with Braniff in 1978! It was, IIRC, $150 for a month of unlimited flights, and $200 in first class - so, of course, we spent the extra $50 for a month of free food and drink. I'd stay with my relatives in LA and go to New Orleans for lunch, or tea, and if we were travelling around then we'd fly to DFW in the evening (dinner flight), then red eye to ANC (late dinner / onboard buffet) and back on the same aircraft, thus saving us a night in a hotel (or sleeping in the rental car).

The $200 deal in first also included the Air France Concorde flights from IAD-DFW (only subsonic :-() and I remember being served Kiwi as part of a fruit starter and having no idea at all what it was.

One was given a book of thirty vouchers and you just turned up at the gate (with or without a reservation) and just wrote in your origin and destination and gave the voucher to the gate agent. If your voucher book was empty you just asked (and got) another one.

They used to serve meals in first from a trolley and dessert would be accompanied by a very large brandy snifter with Crème de Menthe, warm water and dry ice, which would overflow with minty-smelling "smoke" - very Seventies. The ice cream Sundaes were excellent!

We had to order special meals and most of the time they would arrive and be very good to eat - but if there was a problem we'd get a $25 voucher - and over the month we made more money on the vouchers than we spent on the fare.

Ah, those were the days!
Old Feb 23, 2015, 5:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FF
OMG! I thought it was just me and a couple of friends who did that with Braniff in 1978! It was, IIRC, $150 for a month of unlimited flights, and $200 in first class - so, of course, we spent the extra $50 for a month of free food and drink. I'd stay with my relatives in LA and go to New Orleans for lunch, or tea, and if we were travelling around then we'd fly to DFW in the evening (dinner flight), then red eye to ANC (late dinner / onboard buffet) and back on the same aircraft, thus saving us a night in a hotel (or sleeping in the rental car).

The $200 deal in first also included the Air France Concorde flights from IAD-DFW (only subsonic :-() and I remember being served Kiwi as part of a fruit starter and having no idea at all what it was.

One was given a book of thirty vouchers and you just turned up at the gate (with or without a reservation) and just wrote in your origin and destination and gave the voucher to the gate agent. If your voucher book was empty you just asked (and got) another one.

They used to serve meals in first from a trolley and dessert would be accompanied by a very large brandy snifter with Crème de Menthe, warm water and dry ice, which would overflow with minty-smelling "smoke" - very Seventies. The ice cream Sundaes were excellent!

We had to order special meals and most of the time they would arrive and be very good to eat - but if there was a problem we'd get a $25 voucher - and over the month we made more money on the vouchers than we spent on the fare.

Ah, those were the days!

And this company went bust???!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.