Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Three op-ups and out

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2015, 8:06 am

Programs: BA Gold, AirAstana Silver (much use as chocolate teapot)
around 30 LH sectors & 6 SH in the last year in a mixture of classes. Only 2 upgrades both CW to 1st. Coincidently (or not) 1st was on the flight that qualified me to Gold, the other was on the flight that requalified me at Gold.
Old Mar 1, 2015, 8:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HighLife
Yes x4 in 2 months. In 2015 so far: TLS-LHR to CE, MIA-LHR to F, BEY-LHR to J and LAX-LHR to F.
^

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Just now had my fourth upgrade in 4 weeks, Gibraltar to LHR. Two long haul, two short haul. Greetings from the Rock, it's lovely and sunny down here.
^ However I believe you may be a special case.

Originally Posted by 2MMKid
I can't wait for myself to test this theory soon enough.
Let us know what you find.

Originally Posted by DorsetKnob
around 30 LH sectors & 6 SH in the last year in a mixture of classes. Only 2 upgrades both CW to 1st. Coincidently (or not) 1st was on the flight that qualified me to Gold, the other was on the flight that requalified me at Gold.
Is that since the beginning of 2015?
Old Mar 1, 2015, 8:30 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Glad to hear that this 3 strikes and you are out is just BullSh*t and I don't believe that BA has such a sophisticated enhancement in place. I can't wait for myself to test this theory soon enough.
Not necessarily, the OP said:

Originally Posted by morges1
... After three op-ups, you will still be put on the computer's upgrade list, which check-in or managerial staff cannot over-ride, but you will always be put in last place...
Old Mar 1, 2015, 11:22 am

Programs: ABBA
Unless the entire plane was CEed I don't see how Sonoran at the back of the list could get upgraded.
Old Mar 1, 2015, 11:25 am

Programs: BA GGL
Originally Posted by HighLife
Yes x4 in 2 months. In 2015 so far: TLS-LHR to CE, MIA-LHR to F, BEY-LHR to J and LAX-LHR to F.
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Just now had my fourth upgrade in 4 weeks, Gibraltar to LHR. Two long haul, two short haul. Greetings from the Rock, it's lovely and sunny down here.
I'm just shocked that you guys were travelling in the cheap seats in thefirst place!
Old Mar 1, 2015, 11:31 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Glad to hear that this 3 strikes and you are out is just BullSh*t and I don't believe that BA has such a sophisticated enhancement in place. I can't wait for myself to test this theory soon enough.
I'm not rushing to the same conclusion. Firstly the DUT system has always had a factor in it to even out the fact that some CIVs would over-dominate certain flights, and there is clear marketing desire to expose potentially loyal travellers to premium cabins. That works very well, the evidence is present on this board. Now I don't have any precise insight into this area - which is interesting in itself, so it's obviously closely guarded or someone would know more. And rightly so to prevent revenue loss. But what I think may be nearer the mark is that regularly flying GGLs are "unlikely" to get more than 3 OpUps a year, which isn't much different from the previous position, I suspect.
Old Apr 19, 2015, 11:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: Mucci; BA, LT GGL; QF, platinum; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Diamond
I have recently talked to two airport managers, a really switched on check in staff at YVR and a CSD, all have confirmed the three Opup rule (but it doesn't mean you mightn't get more if the IT algorithm doesn't find an alternative on a particular flight.

In the last four weeks, I have had the following LH flights (all with GVA CE connections): LHR-YVR, CW/OF; YVR-LHR, Opup CW to F; LHR-IAD, CW; IAD-LHR, Opup CW to F; LHR-LOS, Aup CW to F; LOS to LHR, CW. This means that I have used up 1/3 Aups and 2/3 Opups, so let's see what happens over coming months!
Old Apr 19, 2015, 11:54 am

Programs: BA Silver
Its been a couple of months since this thread was started. I was wondering if anyone can disprove this rumour and say they've been upgraded more than 3 times since the start of Feburary?
Old Apr 19, 2015, 12:54 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, HH Diamond
Do OpUps on IB count I wonder?
Old Apr 19, 2015, 2:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ENTP
Do OpUps on IB count I wonder?
I find it extremely unlikely that the information technology interface between BA and IB could support such a sophisticated exchange of information

Also, BA and IB are run as separate businesses, for the most part.
Old Apr 19, 2015, 2:39 pm

I haven't had a single op up since this rule change broke - up until then I had a virtually 75% hit rate on my regular l/h to JNB and a 50% hit rate on s/h. I reckon the computer is saying no these days for me sadly.
Old Apr 19, 2015, 4:36 pm

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Well on the other end of the scale - I've never had a single op-up until last month when I got my first one. So hopefully the theory of spreading the spoils around rather than keeping it for the regulars is looking good..
Old Apr 19, 2015, 4:38 pm

Programs: I go wherever the content takes me.
Originally Posted by fourspoons
Well on the other end of the scale - I've never had a single op-up until last month when I got my first one. So hopefully the theory of spreading the spoils around rather than keeping it for the regulars is looking good..
I've never ever had an op up. This year I'm flying a lot more often, which means quite a few Euro Traveller legs. I would put a bet on at William Hill that I don't get the magic beep at all this year.
Old Apr 19, 2015, 4:49 pm
Moderator, Emirates

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Platinum, KQ Asante Gold, Shebamiles Blue, Emirates Blue
I kissed my chances of OpUps goodbye when my body told me that eating anything with gluten in it was no longer part of life - get over it .

Working for a company that has a Y travel only policy now means that my only chance of getting in to the bigger seats is an AUP or when it's on my own penny .

Not done any AUP's this year so far so hopefully still have my three chances .

Safe & Happy Travels

S
Old Apr 19, 2015, 5:14 pm

Speaking of declining op-ups, I had an interesting experience recently, which may or may not be meaningful.

Girlfriend and I are on separate reservations in Y. We OLCI at the same time and pick seats next to each other. On the way to the airport I refresh my boarding pass and notice I've been upgraded to W. At bag drop GF and I check our bags in together and I ask if I could be moved back as I'd rather sit next to her. The agent makes a phone call and confirms yep, no problem, and prints my new boarding pass with my old seat assignment.

Boarding the plane and girlfriend gets the beeps and a new boarding pass for W. 'FFS! All that faffing for nothing' I think, until the gate agent takes my boarding pass and rips that up too, printing out a new boarding pass for the seat next to the GF in W.

The excellent check-in agent must have tied the reservations together to make sure we didn't get split up again, and then (I guess) they ran another upgrade process some time between bag drop and the gate and I was still marked SFU. Not sure if there's a moral to the story, but don't be surprised if you decline an upgrade only to be given it back very shortly after!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.