Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Exec Gold Card and Lounge access with children

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2015, 2:16 am
Original Poster

I know this has been asked many time and I have seen various different answers,

As a Gold card holder flying business class from Heathrow can i take my 2 children into the First lounge with me, They are 8 and 2.

I have seen all sorts of different answers on other posts and there is no clear indication on the BA website but I did see a reply from a person who worked at the BA lounge in Belfast who said you can bring a guest and your children under 16 into the Lounge.

Can anyone clear this up for me or is it totally at the discretion of the staff member working on that day.
Old Feb 5, 2015, 2:23 am

Programs: ABBA
No. 1 guest only.

Infants count aas hand luggage, but once they are two it doesn't.
Old Feb 5, 2015, 2:26 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
2yo and above needs to be guested. Discretion is very unlikely at LHR. As a GCH you would only be able to guest 1 child in.

Could you link to the BHD post please? Occasionally at outstations discretion is applied but there is no under 16 policy that I have ever seen mentioned.
Old Feb 5, 2015, 2:36 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
One guest only. This was covered in The Club: http://theclub.ba.com/june-2014/en/the-guru/
Old Feb 5, 2015, 2:39 am

Programs: BA Gold
I've had no luck guesting more than one in from the UK.

Abroad however is another story. 100% record.
Old Feb 5, 2015, 2:42 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
You might be ok. Before my wife and eldest were silver I used to be able to guest my wife in as a silver and my 2 year old. He was about two and a half before my wife became silver and we no longer needed to ask.

We always used to be on the 9.30pm to DXB so I guess the lounge was quieter by 6.30 in the evening and the fact he was only just over 2 maybe helped.

Three times I went up by myself and asked politely and on all occasion they said OK. I think if you go up with everyone in tow it might work against you but if you go up by yourself and say 'I know this is not typically allowed and I don't want to put you in an awkward position but......' then you might be in luck.

If they said no I was fully prepared to say no worries and disappear off but perhaps they just couldn't say no to my charming personality and winning smile
Old Feb 5, 2015, 2:44 am

Programs: CX Gold, SPG Plat, PC Plat, TAP Gold
A very odd policy.

90%+ of Golds (and Silvers) will be the only status card holders in their family. Which means they can't use lounges when they travel with their family on leisure trips. Which means their status counts for less than it might normally do. Hence potential lost revenue for BA.

And what's the cost of allowing the children of status card holders in lounges? They're hardly raiding the licquor.
blueskypete likes this.
Old Feb 5, 2015, 2:50 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
Originally Posted by oyster
A very odd policy.

90%+ of Golds (and Silvers) will be the only status card holders in their family. Which means they can't use lounges when they travel with their family on leisure trips. Which means their status counts for less than it might normally do. Hence potential lost revenue for BA.

And what's the cost of allowing the children of status card holders in lounges? They're hardly raiding the licquor.
It is very easy to get lounge access for a whole family - just buy tickets in the class of service that provides it.
Old Feb 5, 2015, 2:53 am

Programs: Latinpass Million Miler. BA Gold.
A very odd policy.

But if they fly on the cheap tickets, the amount of profit BA gets from the family trip is very limited.

This is one of the reasons why we have 2 cards in the family - so we can guest both kids in when flying economy.
Old Feb 5, 2015, 2:54 am

Programs: BA Gold, TG Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Plat
It is a question of space that is at a premium. Those baby buggies will take up more space than just a roll-on bag. Most kids will wish to spread or have room to move around.

Many Golds are already complaining about the crowded Flounge at T5. The T3 Flounge is usually quiet for most of the day until the QF flights in the evenings. If the Op is looking at the T3 Flounge, he might get away with this.
Old Feb 5, 2015, 2:56 am

Programs: I go wherever the content takes me.
A very odd policy.

It does seem odd at first glance, but most GCHs will travel ordinarily in J or above anyway.

Can you imagine how cramped the Flounge would be if there were lots of whole families in there?

Programs: BA Silver, Mucci
A very odd policy.

My elderly mother-in-law doesn't drink alcohol and won't be raiding the liquor - should I be able to bring her in as an extra guest?

Programs: BA, Marriott, Hertz, Dennis The Menace Fan Club
Always amazes me how many families are in the FLounge. Must mean two frequently-flying parents. Sometimes see families of more than 4. Maybe they are escaping from the CCR.
Old Feb 5, 2015, 2:58 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Gold, Marriot Bonvoy Gold, MeliaRewards Gold, Radisson Gold
A very odd policy.

A contensious issue for sure - however I for one am glad that these restrictions exists. Kids can be noisy and lounges are often already over-crowded. And I've seen too many examples of bad parenting to feel bad about this.
Old Feb 5, 2015, 2:59 am

Originally Posted by KenJohn
It is a question of space that is at a premium. Those baby buggies will take up more space than just a roll-on bag.
In the T5 lounges, I've always left our buggy parked on the floor, are you saying it should actually be placed on top of one of the chairs?

Must be one of those "etiquette" things

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.