Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Can I downgrade at checkin/the gate?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2015, 8:00 am
Original Poster

Can I downgrade at checkin/the gate?

I am having a bit of a panic about a flight that I am on tomorrow. I normally travel in Y but tomorrow my partner and I are in WT+.

I am quite a large person and always choose a window seat so that I can lean out of peoples way. I do not need the armrests up though. I have just looked to see what seats will be available at the 24 hour checkin point and there are only middle or aisle seats. I dread having to sit next to someone who does not want to sit next to me or needing to lean into the aisle.

My question is, would BA allow me alone, or both of us, to downgrade to Y so that I can get a window seat? I am also worried that as I will fill the seat, the buttons on the side will be pressed by my leg making the back recline etc..... I know I am a terrible worrier.

Please be gentle with the replies.... thank you!

ps... they are avios flights.
Old Jan 31, 2015, 8:10 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Considering the practicalities of what you are suggesting, I think it is unlikely that you’d be able to switch to a WT window seat at either check-in or at the gate unless there are physically seats available for you to move to.

If your flight tomorrow is still more than 24 hours away, you can still change your booking from WT+ to WT, if redemption inventory is open. Even so, that does not guarantee there will be window seats available in the WT cabin.
Old Jan 31, 2015, 8:22 am
Original Poster

Thanks Prospero. It is under 24 now, so I will just have to wait and see. It will probably be fine anyway - I am just a born worrier!
Old Jan 31, 2015, 8:26 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
If you do not need to lift the armrest in Y then you will find you will have plenty of room in WT+ - don't worry, I'd take the aisle seat and I'm sure you'll find it very comfortable and that you won't encroach on the aisle or other passengers.
Old Jan 31, 2015, 8:32 am

Try not to worry, I expect it will all turn out fine. I hope you enjoy the flight
Old Jan 31, 2015, 8:39 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Hold off printing your boarding pass for now, as this will prevent you from viewing/changing your seat assignments between now and departure. If any passengers currently allocated window seats decide at the last minute not to travel, you’ll be in a good position to swoop in and take the vacated seat for yourself. Chances of this occurring are remote but it does happen with some regularity.

Still inquire at airport check-in. Airport staff will note your request into your booking.

Good luck

Last edited by Prospero; Jan 31, 2015 at 9:01 am Reason: more sensitive choice of words

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.