Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Taking your own food on board - etiquette?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2015, 2:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, Club Carlson Gold, HHonors Gold, Best Western Diamond Select, BA Blue

On those flights where BA don't serve a meal any more, several passengers take their own sandwiches on board to eat (usually when it's an early morning or evening flight) to augment the trolley service offering which is usually just a drink and some nibbles.

So, two weeks ago I saw a passenger walking with a jolly stride along the aisle with two boxed pizzas.

So, what kind of food have you seen being taken on board and what is the etiquette for taking food on board?
Old Jan 31, 2015, 2:40 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
The etiquette is that any food taken on board should be shared with any GGLs sitting in close proximity
Old Jan 31, 2015, 2:41 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold & GGL & CCR, HH Diam, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Spire, Tastecard
a break from the "why...." series?

in response to your question though, I tend to see it much more in the US where carriers give less food and flights can be longer. Have seen boxes of pizza, chinese take-aways etc etc and can only say that I am glad it's never been near me.

Personally, I have never done it but would think the etiquette would / should be the same as with everything else: be considerate to the people around you. I am also not the biggest fan of people eating (in particular smelly food) on the tube, on busses etc though it's never caused me to loose any sleep nor increased my blood pressure.
Old Jan 31, 2015, 2:45 am

Programs: I go wherever the content takes me.

It wouldn't bother me if someone took food on board, as long as it wasn't a huge pizza or something that infringed on my personal space. If they're willing to share I may overlook that requirement.
Old Jan 31, 2015, 2:51 am

Take whatever you like, you never can tell if the food in steerage will be edible or not :P
Old Jan 31, 2015, 3:02 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
I am of the people who often take food onboard. Mostly for morning flights as I do not want to have a second breakfast after having one at the hotel/airport restaurant/lounge. I would never take anything like pizza that gives off a strong smell, so it's mostly sandwiches for me.
What haven't I seen people take when flying AA (mostly pizza or MacDonald's) and I don't understand why they need to take it onboard rather than eat it hot at the gate or something.
But one should be able to bring whatever they like. They paid the same money to be on the plane, and while some may not like strong food smell others may not like that I am drinking a third wine or that I am holding my husband's hand or a screaming child a few rows ahead. There is really no etiquette...as long as the food does not end up on the cloths of the passenger next to you.

Last edited by Andriyko; Jan 31, 2015 at 8:12 am
Old Jan 31, 2015, 3:09 am

Programs: Mucci, BA, Hilton.
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
The etiquette is that any food taken on board should be shared with any GGLs sitting in close proximity
Surely you need a bronze to taste test? Is that not an unpublished benefit of GGL
Old Jan 31, 2015, 3:35 am

Programs: BA Gold
I've taken a Plane Food picnic with me when on a transatlantic in Y as a second meal (and it ended up being tastier!)
Old Jan 31, 2015, 3:56 am

I do it too. Tends to be early...bacon roll, muffin etc.
Old Jan 31, 2015, 4:24 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Am I the only one picturing Hannibal Lecter with his foie gras and brains in a neat little box?
Old Jan 31, 2015, 4:44 am

Programs: Iron Maiden FC, GE, Rapidly falling down the Tiers to oblivion.
Dont ever fly in the US, i think you may explode. Anything amd everything you can imagine ends up on board. Just makes me hungry!

Ps im about to have haggis neeps and tatties for lunch. Can ba install a microwave, i'll take that onboard any time. Smashing.

Last edited by jcm9000; Jan 31, 2015 at 5:00 am
Old Jan 31, 2015, 4:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Oh dear, it is the whole US airline industry coming to eat us, with those hated memories of stinking, dripping boxed "stuff" that would continuously threaten to land on your various clothes, papers, etc.

When I was a student and people would routinely bring food with them during very long exams that could last up to 8 or 9 hours each, the understood etiquette was nothing that smells, nothing that could land on your neighbour's exam script, and nothing that would be noisy or make you noisy(hmmm...). I thought this was a pretty sensible basis for etiquette.
Old Jan 31, 2015, 5:07 am

suffering from lack of good Indian here in the US, its very tempting to stroll on board with a frozen ruby and say 'can you heat this us for me please'..................now imagine that smell.....
Old Jan 31, 2015, 5:10 am

Programs: Iron Maiden FC, GE, Rapidly falling down the Tiers to oblivion.
Originally Posted by flabound
suffering from lack of good Indian here in the US, its very tempting to stroll on board with a frozen ruby and say 'can you heat this us for me please'..................now imagine that smell.....
Install a couple of burners and i'll cook everyone up a storming curry. It would be the best flight in the world. Ps ive found lots of decent indians in the us, one in san diego currently holds title as spiciest offering so far, the usual downfall in the us. If only ba's curry had a real kick ( at risk of falling into another ba curry love/hate discussion).
Old Jan 31, 2015, 5:11 am

Programs: HiltonH. Gold Starwood Gold BA BLUES! Mucci.
Well on a lunchtime or evening b1 or b2 flight in ET I will usually stop at Pret and buy something half decent....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.