Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Flyertalk must take some of the blame for BA's onslaught

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2015, 6:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA BLUE BADGE

In facilitating avois and tier point accumulation beyond a sustainable level the forum has contributed to the decision to squeeze the benefits.

We can but hope that people now stop guesting people they don't know into the lounges to avoid draconian measures on that too.

The clues were there a year ago that spreading the word brings risks of saturation.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...yone-else.html
Old Jan 30, 2015, 6:43 am

Programs: FT
err...um....ok...???? whatever.
Old Jan 30, 2015, 6:47 am

Programs: I go wherever the content takes me.

Gosh, how many FT-guested people are in a BA lounge at any given time?

One?

"People on FT are to blame" - says poster with 638 FlyerTalk posts.

Old Jan 30, 2015, 6:49 am

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Gold/HH Diamond/IC Plat Amba
I'm sure that FlyerTalk members are a very small minority of BA's overall passenger base. However FT is invaluable for lazy programs like Aeroplan to find out any loopholes they haven't closed yet and quickly move the moment they are written about on here.
Old Jan 30, 2015, 6:54 am

Programs: BA Silver
Old Jan 30, 2015, 7:03 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by paul4040
Gosh, how many FT-guested people are in a BA lounge at any given time?

One?

"People on FT are to blame" - says poster with 638 FlyerTalk posts.

Why do I get so annoyed by this? I mean really angry.

Maybe I can't work out why you would have someone you don't know as a guest.

And looking at the views the meetup threads get - hundreds of thousands - I think you'd be surprised how much more than one are in there.

Just stop it - before BA do something you'll regret.......again.

ps............640
Old Jan 30, 2015, 7:04 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Paralytic
Brilliant!
Old Jan 30, 2015, 7:10 am

Programs: ABBA
Originally Posted by Lioneye
Why do I get so annoyed by this? I mean really angry.

Maybe I can't work out why you would have someone you don't know as a guest.

And looking at the views the meetup threads get - hundreds of thousands - I think you'd be surprised how much more than one are in there.

Just stop it - before BA do something you'll regret.......again.

ps............640
I would hope any enhancement would be to
* Allow guesting someone on your flight (not neccersarilly PNR)
* Allow guesting of someone in your friends-and-family or HHA list

There's a few edge cases where people use a lounge as a meeting room with a supplier/customer on another flight, and it would be interesting if there's a solution which wouldn't penalise that.
Old Jan 30, 2015, 7:15 am

Programs: A3 *G, BA OWS, IHG Diamond Amb, Bonvoy Plat
In facilitating avois and tier point accumulation beyond a sustainable level the forum has contributed to the decision to squeeze the benefits.

We can but hope that people now stop guesting people they don't know into the lounges to avoid draconian measures on that too.

The clues were there a year ago that spreading the word brings risks of saturation.

Indeed, spreading the word hurts.

But I don't think it's really a flyertalk problem per se, given that there are tonnes of blogs out there giving free advice on how to wring the system dry like candies for the lazy (essentially the viewerships that just go there and nowhere else) in exchange for their own benefit.

I don't complain though. FFPs like money will get devalued, unfortunately. But at least with FFPs when things start to go wrong with the economy they try to snatch the decreasing pool to shore up their finances.

Unlike money. There's almost always inflation on money.
Old Jan 30, 2015, 7:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
Looking at the slow response times on Head for Points this morning his site must be generating loads of hits which will have a nice pleasing amount in his Adsense account. So he's definitely doing well out of these changes.

So will Internet Brands, FlyerTalk is packed with ads, unfortunately those who actually maintain this forum, the mods, don't see a penny of it as I believe they're all voluntary positions.
Old Jan 30, 2015, 7:19 am

And the blame game continues...

To be honest, the guesting rules will probably be changed soon thanks to the new iPhone app. I suspect it will go to same flight or same family name.

I suspect the only thing FT had to do with the news was the LCYCW tier point change. BA probably didn't like us plebs only paying Ł750 to be on it
Old Jan 30, 2015, 7:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK

And the prophet was YOU Is this to be an annual outing?
Old Jan 30, 2015, 7:23 am

FT contributors/members must only be a drop in ocean in respect of BAEC membership and many may be of the opinion that BA don't give a toss what our opinions are - which is probably the case - and those that believe we are a 'force to be reckoned with' need to re-calibrate their mindset.

The reality is that 'guesting' is part and parcel of BAEC/OW membership and was not instigated by FT or BAEC members.

I have guested 'strangers' and I have also been guested as a 'stranger' and I have met some interesting people by doing so.

I suspect many 'guesters' check out their 'guestees' profile on FT before committing to accompany them into the lounge which at least gives them a little insight into their guest. Where I would draw the line is if someone approached me in an airport asking to be guested.

Maybe BA will look at this - who knows? - but as guesting is also a OW 'perk', BA may not have overall say over the issue.
Old Jan 30, 2015, 7:24 am

Programs: BA (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by paulwuk
There's a few edge cases where people use a lounge as a meeting room with a supplier/customer on another flight, and it would be interesting if there's a solution which wouldn't penalise that.
That situation doesn't require any solution and ending the relevant guesting privileges would be entirely appropriate. In most such cases the reason the supplier/customer can't access the lounge in their own right is that their employer has an economy only travel policy, and in such a case why shouldn't they schlepp around in the main terminal area? It's all they have paid for. Employers who act as cheapskates should suck up any adverse consequences of their policies.
Old Jan 30, 2015, 7:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
Originally Posted by Calum
To be honest, the guesting rules will probably be changed soon thanks to the new iPhone app.
What has the iPhone app got to do with guesting? Is there a feature there I've missed?

To explain my previous comment further I have nothing against Raffles raking in the ad revenue because of the effort he puts into his site. But I think Internet Brands almost get money for nothing due to the popularity of the BA forum, some of the ad revenue should at least be shared with those that put in the effort to keep it running smoothly (i.e. the mods) or even like the giffgaff forums where contributing gets you payback.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.