Overreaction to changes?

Old Jan 30, 2015, 10:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by Caronahill
This is the crux of the matter. In addition, how do you get people who may be travelling in WT/ET to remain loyal to your brand? If the answer is, as seems to be, that BA doesn't really G.A.S., BA is missing a huge chance to encourage people away LCCs.

I was booking a flight last night. LCC was 100 (all in except food) and BA was 140 (not HBO) and CE was 200. Same destination, similar timings. Why will I book one over the other?
Another example-ISTLON one way, BA quotes 105 EUR for a standard fare, TK offers 99EUR for a similar fare. I have *A as well as OW status. The only reason I booked BA on this one is that my mates could get the 81 EUR HBO, pay me 10 EUR for the 1 piece of luggage that they wanted to carry (i.e. our group only needed 2 pieces of luggage, instead of 3. I also know in advance my mates are not importing prohibited goods into the UK), and net price for all 3 of us is cheaper than TK (I will give BA lounge a better rating at LHR, TK at IST, to balance out differences there.)
TK is no LCC either.
Old Jan 30, 2015, 10:25 am

Programs: FT
i think so really. i mean, for those that MFU or redeem in F, i honestly don't think the changes are really all that bad.

i mean, it obviously was not so bad to people when to redeem on CX went from 100K in J from NA-HKG to 140K to now....what, 205K. why the moaning people.
Old Jan 30, 2015, 10:35 am

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by mkjr
i think so really. i mean, for those that MFU or redeem in F, i honestly don't think the changes are really all that bad.

i mean, it obviously was not so bad to people when to redeem on CX went from 100K in J from NA-HKG to 140K to now....what, 205K. why the moaning people.
So how much in purchases or flights do people have to spend to make up the increase of 65 K. ?
Old Jan 30, 2015, 10:46 am

Programs: BAEC Bronzeish
Originally Posted by Globaliser
but then we know that we are an extremely odd and eccentric bunch who don't make decisions in the same way as 99.99% of the airline's actual market.
Originally Posted by FrancisA
As for the choices in your question, I'd go for the CE option and be pleased that it was a low CE fare and good value in terms of TP per pound. But I am reading and contributing to FT
LOL. Indeed. Quite frankly I, too, would rather go for TPs (and CE) but that rather depends upon how much travelling I'll be doing in the next year to raise me from the blue depths to something a little more fitting

Last edited by Caronahill; Jan 30, 2015 at 10:47 am Reason: grammar
Old Jan 30, 2015, 10:48 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by HMPS
So how much in purchases or flights do people have to spend to make up the increase of 65 K. ?
Depends. Could be anything from 750 for TP run that gives close to 50,000 Avios up to 4k F fares giving 16000 Avios.
Credit card spends, Tesco etc all help towards that. 360 3V cards would do it

Realistically (just buying a normal fare and ignoring Amex cards etc), a gold member, or silver at present, would have to do at least 4 x CW returns to JFK to pull in those miles, so anything from 5k upwards.
Old Jan 30, 2015, 10:48 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
The original incarnation of the Executive Club rewarded no travel but just provided lounge access for a fee
You didn't even pay. My husband was in it from the word "go" - around 1980 ish - he never paid of that I am quite certain.
Old Jan 30, 2015, 10:50 am

Originally Posted by xenole
Depends. Could be anything from 750 for TP run that gives close to 50,000 Avios up to 4k F fares giving 16000 Avios.
Credit card spends, Tesco etc all help towards that.

Realistically (just buying a normal fare and ignoring Amex cards etc), a gold member, or silver at present, would have to do at least 4 x CW returns to JFK to pull in those miles, so anything from 5k upwards.
3 x ABZ to ATL in T gets 67k for Gold and Silver. Approx cost 3k
Old Jan 30, 2015, 11:01 am

Programs: BAEC; LH M&M; HH Diamond
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
You didn't even pay. My husband was in it from the word "go" - around 1980 ish - he never paid of that I am quite certain.
I was one of those as well. It was invitation only and I was in there in 1979-ish. You got lounge access and that was it (but great). Up a tiny little escalator at the back of duty free in T1 to a windowles room with free booze and then onto a BAC-111 to Linate...

Changed to an annual fee about three or four yeras later IIRC - still no points or anything, but more windowless lounges like in FRA T1 (no T2 at the time) behind what has now become the VAT-reclaiming area.

Those were the days...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.