Wiki Posts
Search

Overreaction to changes?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2015, 4:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by RobDBA
But why don't they want people flying on bargain basement fares to earn many tier points? It's so it is more difficult to earn a level of status (Silver) which costs BA potentially large amounts of margin.
Yes, it slows down the earning of status - any status - if you fly on these fares. Status is thus more closely aligned to profitability, blunt though the TP tool remains for this.

But that's a different proposition from "the tier point earning changes do seem designed to stop silver card holders like me ... from getting to silver".
Originally Posted by RobDBA
EDIT: To answer my own question you can see booking class on BA's transactions page. In my case for 2014 it's about 20% Q, O or G fares with all but one being short haul. I got 700 tier points in 2014 so it appears the equation is going to be extremely tight. As I'm expecting a little more long haul travel this year maybe I'll be OK, tricky decision!
And so next year, you might think about taking an extra weekend break, or accepting a POUG or AUP that you might not otherwise have done ... and you see how it can work for the airline!
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by Swanhunter
Those with long FT memories will recall that every change has been accompanied by much wailing and gnashing and those taking their cash elsewhere. And then after 3 months life has carried on as normal. Just a human response to change I guess.

The reaction to the great N America changes about 12 years ago would have you expecting entirely empty planes across the Atlantic ever since. Not quite...
Thank you for saying exactly what I was thinking. Those who leave are perfectly entitled to do so. Indeed, I have said so often I have never understood why anyone who was so dissatisfied would stay. I am sure that if enough do leave then something might halt these "enhancements".

Me? No, in my instance I suppose it's the Devil I know. Do they not say that the other man's grass is always greener?

Programs: BA Gold, A3 *Gold
Originally Posted by stueys

So addressing that situation is helpful.

Secondly, being honest, all of us will continue using BA if you're UK based. Ultimately you're buying a mode of transport and BA have the best UK based network by some margin.
I'm not sure that's true, best network yes - but by some margin?

Star have a great network from London, especially long haul, and from a better terminal than BA nowadays. Yes it wouldnt work if your travel was mainly to France or one or two other European countries that don't have direct flights, but otherwise you can fly direct to a wide variety of global destinations. Where there are not direct flights east you've got a couple of good options in Turkish and Singapore.
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by NickB
While I agree with the core of your underlying argument, the way you phrase it here seems to me a bit simplistic and the derogatory terminology of "milking the system" rather uncalled for.

Somebody who buys Q, O and G fares is not "milking the system": they are merely buying the products offered on the market by BA at the price set by BA.
These are not the people who I think have been milking the system. You and I both know the sort of people who have.

And while I agree that it is a bit simplistic, I am trying to contribute to an internet forum rather than writing a treatise or essay on yield management and market segmentation!
Old Jan 29, 2015, 4:48 am

I’ll lose lounge access through the changes, but sitting in a restaurant/bar instead isn’t a big deal. I often thought it was a form of madness to sit in a lounge eating mass catered Thai green curry (again) rather than charging a nice meal to my employer!

The main change will be psychological. As someone who just barely makes silver through a lot of long-haul economy flying, I used to arrive at T5 thinking ‘isn’t it nice that BA values loyalty among its economy customers’. Now I’ll arrive aware that they aren’t that interested in my loyalty at all. You could argue that I’m shallow for wanting a faceless corporation to value me, but hey, it got me paying more to fly BA. Now I won’t.

So I’ll either base my decisions on price/schedule in future, or possibly try to stick to Virgin as the only other airline that operates on all the routes I use. As an aside, does anyone know what UUA availability is like on Virgin compared to BA?
Old Jan 29, 2015, 4:51 am

Originally Posted by Globaliser
Yes, it slows down the earning of status - any status - if you fly on these fares. Status is thus more closely aligned to profitability, blunt though the TP tool remains for this.

But that's a different proposition from "the tier point earning changes do seem designed to stop silver card holders like me ... from getting to silver".And so next year, you might think about taking an extra weekend break, or accepting a POUG or AUP that you might not otherwise have done ... and you see how it can work for the airline!
Yes, I'd already thought about the POUG possibilities which I'd sworn I wouldnt be considering any more due to new CE. Damn you BA, I thought you'd made the decision easy but it looks like you were cleverer than I thought
Old Jan 29, 2015, 4:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by popmagnet
I’ll lose lounge access through the changes ...

The main change will be psychological. As someone who just barely makes silver through a lot of long-haul economy flying, I used to arrive at T5 thinking ‘isn’t it nice that BA values loyalty among its economy customers’. Now I’ll arrive aware that they aren’t that interested in my loyalty at all.
So you only fly long-haul economy on sale fares? That's the only way that your long-haul TP earning is going to change.
Old Jan 29, 2015, 4:55 am

Originally Posted by popmagnet
I’ll lose lounge access through the changes,

The main change will be psychological. As someone who just barely makes silver through a lot of long-haul economy flying,
Check your BA transactions, as per the recent discussion above you may find your tier point situation won't be much different. In my case I had 12 l-h segments last year and only one was in the new 25% fare classes despite corporate policy being cheapest possible direct routing.
Old Jan 29, 2015, 5:06 am

Programs: BA GfL, Marriott PlatfL/Ambassador, TP Gold, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by phol
For people who spend a significant portion of their lives on the road FFP benefits are one of the few perks of being away from home.
Quite the opposite. For people who REALLY spend a significant portion of their lives on the road, being away from airports, lounges and airplanes is the real perk.

I wouldn't dream of doing a TP run or something similar. I think that's just insane.
Old Jan 29, 2015, 5:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

These are not the people who I think have been milking the system. You and I both know the sort of people who have.

And while I agree that it is a bit simplistic, I am trying to contribute to an internet forum rather than writing a treatise or essay on yield management and market segmentation!
... and you and I both know that reducing TPs on O,Q and G fares haas nothing to do whasoever with abuses and "milking of the system" nor could it possibly be designed to keep would-be unprofitable customers off their planes. I believe that it should be possible to avoid half-truths, red herrings and misleading arguments without necessarily writing a treatise or essay on yield management and market segmentation ...
Old Jan 29, 2015, 5:25 am

So you only fly long-haul economy on sale fares? That's the only way that your long-haul TP earning is going to change.
I checked back through my Avios statement for the last year and about half of my economy sectors were in the affected fare classes. My company is quite relaxed about having a preferred airline to fly with (within reason), but if I started to book more expensive fares just for the tier points they might start to ask questions why I’m paying so much for economy tickets.
Old Jan 29, 2015, 5:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by NickB
... and you and I both know that reducing TPs on O,Q and G fares haas nothing to do whasoever with abuses and "milking of the system" nor could it possibly be designed to keep would-be unprofitable customers off their planes.
Nor did I say, or even insinuate, that it was.
Old Jan 29, 2015, 5:39 am

And then after 3 months life has carried on as normal.
That's a bold assertion. If you weren't one of the gnashers, how are you able to determine that things are 'back to normal'?

Full disclosure: I don't think I was gnashing - at least no more than normal - but last year I did make sure to do at least 30 flights on M&M airlines' metal to keep Silver with them until 02/2018; so that's lounge access at MUC and now LHR T2, priority check-in and extra checked bag sorted.

Of course that means 30+ flights I didn't take with OW/BA, compared with the year before.
Old Jan 29, 2015, 6:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by shorthauldad
That's a bold assertion. If you weren't one of the gnashers, how are you able to determine that things are 'back to normal'?
I was thinking about it from the perspective of threads on FT and BA's financial and operational performance in their quarterly earnings statements.
Old Jan 29, 2015, 6:24 am

Those with long FT memories will recall that every change has been accompanied by much wailing and gnashing and those taking their cash elsewhere. And then after 3 months life has carried on as normal.
I was thinking about it from the perspective of threads on FT and BA's financial and operational performance in their quarterly earnings statements.
You manage to make it sound as though BA's financial and operational performance takes a temporary hit after an enhancement. If only

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.