Community
Wiki Posts
Search

EC changes : will you switch ?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2015, 4:11 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Falconflyer Gold, The Ritz-Carlton Silver
Originally Posted by jmc1K

The daft part of this is that BA can't justify the move with their J or F product. They are so thoroughly mediocre other than cabin crew that BA should have realized that they were basically the discount consolidator airline for people who wanted a semi-premium experience on a budget.

Now, there's just no reason to fly them.
The nail has been hit on the head.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 4:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Calchas
Ever heard of YQ?

BA is not a great programme for cheap F and J travel.
I think this is true because there is nothing special about BA's ex-EU fares, they are special to Flyertalker's because of TPs . You can find similar deals with KL/AF, LH/LX all departing from the usual markets.

From reading FT it seems like KL's new LH Business Product is much better than CW along with superior catering. Factor in "business class" flights to/from AMS from many more UK airports it becomes an interesting proposition. What has stopped me from blowing the dust of my FB card where I was Platinum is the utterly dire FFP. But like all these massive companies, they would rather fight with their unions than provide a decent passenger experience, because the customer is the problem .
Old Jan 28, 2015, 4:13 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, M&M Sen, Delta Skymiles Gold
I have already shifted. Most of my OW flying is now with other airlines. Much better value for money as they simply offer a better product for the same or a lower price.
I have shifted most of my TATL flying to DL this year, except for a trip to MIA with AA. None with BA. I really like DL's new business product. The only BA booking I have made this year is a trip to Berlin in June. Earlier today I booked a trip to Barcelona with Vueling as well as a trip to Paris with Easyjet. I will shop around more from now on, especially for short haul.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 4:14 pm

Programs: Accor PLT,Thai Silver, HH Dia, SPG Titanium (LT Gold), Aegean Gold, BA Silver
Lost my loyalty. Will now take *A and avail of the great breakfast buffet in the UA lounge.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 5:02 pm

Programs: BA Gold; FB Silver; SPG; IHG Gold
Being London based I will probably still use BA. But if I were living in the regions I would be rekindling my relationship with my old flame FB.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 5:17 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by jmc1K
The daft part of this is that BA can't justify the move with their J or F product. They are so thoroughly mediocre other than cabin crew that BA should have realized that they were basically the discount consolidator airline for people who wanted a semi-premium experience on a budget.

Now, there's just no reason to fly them.
A harsh assessment but one that I cannot really argue with.

Its been a depressing day - seeing so many people disadvantaged by these changes.

To answer the OP's question: I won't switch from my current travel patterns for work as the decision who I fly on is made for me (BA/KLM). But as for personal travel, I'm now investigating ways to burn avios and cash that includes AA and CX. Particularly keen to experience CX C SIN-HKG and CX F HKG-LHR in December.

I still feel there are more changes to come early 2016 (post AA/US/Delta merger and the bedding in of CX's recent changes) I hope I'm wrong.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 5:32 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Ever heard of YQ?

"YQ" , midiocre hard product, spotty service etc drove me away from BA.

Now I have tonfigure out how to liquidate my stash of avios before it loses all its value

unfortunately,reality is BA management gives two hoots for all the lamenting and hand wringing here. They will replace those of you who switch easily. FOR NOW.
But they would have pumped up the profits, hence the share price and huge bonuses. When the chickens come home to roost they would be living a rich retirement life, no doubt with F travels free till the end of their days !
Old Jan 28, 2015, 5:34 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Hilton HHonors Diamond
I wonder when AA will change how Advantage members will earn on BA, if at all. WTP only earns a 10% mile bonus (though is generous with 1.5 EQP) on W/E/T fares. If levels stay the same, I'd say flying BA and crediting to AA may be the way to go for many. Until AA goes revenue based too of course, ha.

Lots of bad news the last few years (Delta, United, Hilton, Flying Blue being some of the most heinous) and I'd say these BAEC changes are just as awful as those four examples.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 5:49 pm

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Gold/HH Diamond/IC Plat Amba
I won't be changing. No way I'm going back to Star after dumping LH as my main FFP for BA completely this year. AA doesn't work for me either because I don't fly to the U.S. BAEC still works for me even if UuA has become more expensive points wise.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 6:00 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
I didn't switch to BA for Avios, so obviously I'm not going to switch away because of Avios either.

Ever heard of YQ?

But I don't think you mean "cheap" - obviously the term "cheap" is subjective, but to me, $958 + 150k Avios for a ticket I pay at least $8k+ for is cheap. I think you mean "nearly free", in which case of course I agree.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 6:41 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by gengar
I didn't switch to BA for Avios, so obviously I'm not going to switch away because of Avios either.

But I don't think you mean "cheap" - obviously the term "cheap" is subjective, but to me, $958 + 150k Avios for a ticket I pay at least $8k+ for is cheap. I think you mean "nearly free", in which case of course I agree.
When you comparison
Shop, does it look the same ?
Old Jan 28, 2015, 7:46 pm

Programs: BA Gold Guest List, Miles & More Gold, IHG Platinum, Starwood, Marriott, Hertz Presidents Circe
On reflection, I certainly will not change. I must admit I certainly agree with a number of posts on here that other OW carriers provide a far better product than BA do for long haul at a better price. For me earning Avios is not the deal clincher, but the accumulation of TP's to retain Gold is a more attractive aspect of choice. Price is also a driving factor as well, and at times, BA is a more expensive option, and it is not just by a few hundred pounds either! I tend to use BA for Europe travel, and then use Qatar Airways for long haul. If you get the opportunity, I would highly recommend using the Qatar Airways product when flying out of Heathrow, as it is a better experience from arriving at the airport, right through to arriving at your destination. I mentioned in another thread that the changes EC have made to their program could have been a greater culling, similar to those Lufthansa introduced a few years ago. Their treatment of members and arrogance of thinking that loyalty was assured was the reason why I changed to BA, and I am glad I did!
Old Jan 28, 2015, 8:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Originally Posted by airb330
I wonder when AA will change how Advantage members will earn on BA, if at all. WTP only earns a 10% mile bonus (though is generous with 1.5 EQP) on W/E/T fares. If levels stay the same, I'd say flying BA and crediting to AA may be the way to go for many. Until AA goes revenue based too of course, ha.

Lots of bad news the last few years (Delta, United, Hilton, Flying Blue being some of the most heinous) and I'd say these BAEC changes are just as awful as those four examples.
Lets just hope that AA keeps the earn rates on BA as current eg 100% on deep discounted tickets. Otherwise its on codeshares for me. Getting 100% elite bonus (as AAdvantage Plat) is a major factor in choosing my choice of carrier.

One of the biggest issues with AA on BA flights once upon a time ago was that one earns zilch when flying transatlantic with them until the marketing alliance came into effect.

Last edited by Guy Betsy; Jan 28, 2015 at 8:37 pm
Old Jan 28, 2015, 9:02 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA Lifetime Gold 1.8mm, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold et al
Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
Lets just hope that AA keeps the earn rates on BA as current eg 100% on deep discounted tickets. Otherwise its on codeshares for me. Getting 100% elite bonus (as AAdvantage Plat) is a major factor in choosing my choice of carrier.
Indeed.

The whole 'will you switch' question is very much dependent upon what the competition does or doesn't come up with in the near future. Under the present structures a move might well make sense for many but today's announcement reminds us all that the calculation can be be rendered invalid literally overnight.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 9:31 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Geek platinum
I'm in a bit of a quandary, I'm gold and fly mostly long haul, full fare Y so the changes don't affect me that much. That said it is still a devaluation and makes me wonder if I wouldn't be better elsewhere.

Delta/Virgin makes sense to me as they fly to destinations I go to the in US i.e. Seattle, Detroit, Boston, JFK and Delta look fairly good long haul but doesn't make sense for Europe as I go to Germany fairly regularly. Also, Virgin is ditching Tokyo which I go to a couple of times a year.

Star alliance would be a good move, get lufthansa for germany, ANA for japan, lots of other airlines elsewhere but United is horrible and of limited use for my regular destinations.

Ultimately I think I will stick to BA, unless it looks like my flying is reducing in which case I will probably jump to Delta/Virgin.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.