Old Jan 28, 2015, 1:49 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
The changes in summary
Applicable to bookings made from 28 April 2015
For more information, see BA's 28 January announcement and FAQ on ba.com

Earning
Changes to Avios accrual rates and tier bonuses
  • earning rates increase for flights booked in F, A, J, C, D, and W selling classes
  • no change for flights booked in R, I, Y, B, and H selling classes
  • earning rates reduce for flights booked in E, T, K, L, M, N, S, V, Q, O, and G selling classes

Earning with partners
Reduced earnings in Economy and Premium Economy
AA, IBERIA, JAL, LAN, TAM, ALASKA, SRI LANKAN, QANTAS, CATHAY.

Changes to tier bonuses
  • no change to Gold tier bonuses (100%)
  • Silver tier bonuses reduce from 100% to 50%
  • no change to Bronze tier bonuses (25%)

Changes to minimum Avios amounts (accrued per flight)
  • minimum thresholds increase for long haul premium fares (F, A, J, C, D, W)
  • no change to restricted business class fares (R and I class) and flexible econony (Y, B, and H class)
  • minimum thresholds decrease for WT+ (E and T class) - although there are no BA WTP flights that short
  • minimum thresholds decrease from 500 to 250 Avios for mid priced economy (K, L, M, N, S, and V classes)
  • minimum thresholds decrease from 500 to 125 Avios for cheapest economy (Q, O, and G classes)

Changes to Tier Point earning rates
  • Club World London City flights reduce from 210 to 140 Tier Points
  • Cheapest economy flights (in selling classes Q, O, and G) reduce from 50% to 25% Tier Points
  • No change to minimum 2/4 segments for earning Bronze/Others
  • No change to 25 segment / 50 segment Bronze/Silver earning option
  • No other changes, thresholds still Bronze 300,Silver 600,Gold 1500,GGL 5000 (3000 to retain)

Spending
Promise of greater reward inventory/availability
  • Guaranteed minimum 4 seats in economy on every flight
  • Guaranteed minimum 2 seats in business on every flight
  • Guaranteed seats will be available to book from 355 days before departure and may vanish 45 days before departure, if not already booked.

Changes to standard flight redemption rates
  • Variable rates introduced divided into Off-peak and Peak
  • For Peak time (school holidays and other busy times), and partner costs
  • WT - stays the same cost
  • WTP increases - from x1.5 to x2.0 multiplier (33% increase)
  • Club World increases - from x2.0 to x3.0 multiplier (50% increase)
  • First increases - from x3.0 to x4.0 multiplier (33% increase)
  • For Off Peak time (including every Tuesday and Wednesday throughout the year)
  • WT decreases by 35% from current values
  • WT decreases by 13% from current values
  • Club World increases by 25% from current values
  • First increases by 13% from current values
  • Free domestic add-ons abolished on short haul redemptions
  • No word if CE redemptions will be charged 4500/Ł17.50 or 9000/Ł25 for the UK leg
  • Variable rates introduced on Iberia
  • Flight redemptions on BA's other airline partners will be charged at Peak rates all year round

Changes to Upgrade with Avios
  • Eligible booking codes is set to increase in the near future, allowing mile upgrades from economy (WT and ET) for more travellers - K, L, M, N, S, and V classes added (exact fare codes subject to confirmation)
  • Avios required for upgrade now based on the formula: Avios redemption price for the cabin you want to upgrade to, minus the Avios redemption price for the cabin you have paid for with cash. This means that certain off peak WTP to CW upgrades are more expensive than peak WTP to CW upgrades (assuming peak/off-peak variables will apply to UuA)
Print Wikipost

Executive Club Changes

Old Jan 28, 2015, 1:44 pm

Programs: BAEC , M&M , VIRGIN FC , FLYING BLUE
Originally Posted by hugolover
BA has a big track record of capitulating to media and political pressure. If they are leaned on in the right way and the PR backlash is so bad, the "savings" will soon be outweighed by all the peeved travellers!

Scotsman article
very interesting article

the part that stands out for me is the BA comment

"it is unsustainable for us to continue offering this benefit which is not available to executive members based in other European countries"

and here was me thinking they were BRITISH airways !!!!!!!!
Old Jan 28, 2015, 1:47 pm

Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
1/ Keep flying BA and crediting to BAEC as before

2/ Keep flying BA but credit somewhere else (AA?)

3/ Move business to *A/ST (TK matched my BAEC Gold to *G in 17 days! ^)

4/ Fly opportunistically based on schedule and price (horrors! )

Go for Gold renewal or Silver is good enough?
Silver's still OWS, with all related perks - lounge, extra luggage, priority security, J checkin, etc. For many of my collegues OWR is the only realistic goal and OWS is for the real frequent flyers and OWE is in the realm of myths
The answer will vary from person to person. For me earning Avios by flying just became a waste of time, but then so is earning miles with most other schemes. TK also give very few airmiles on cheap tickets. I'll be picking carrier based on individual trips, which I did with a slight bias towards BA if prices were comparable anyway.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 1:48 pm

Originally Posted by MeltingAlf
Went to check, it is 24k/20k.

UuA is now the difference of Avios for full redemptions, so 50-26=24 (offpeak) vs 60-40=20 (peak).
That's possibly the most expensive change they'd made from my perspective.

So - if we put a little table together for this (Band 1 from the top down) ...

The changes on WTP are extraordinary:

Code:
WTP-CW		
Old	New Off Peak	New Peak
2250	2010	         2250
3750	3250	         3750
5000	4250	         5000
6250	11250	        12500
10000	24000	        20000
12500	30000	        25000
15000	36000	        30000
17500	42000	        35000
25000	60000	        50000
So band 5 and above are now extraordinarily expensive to move out of.

Let me take LHR-YYZ. I regularly fly this - as a gold - I'd get about 15,000 avios.

I'd have previously UUA-ed one leg (if I was lucky). That would have resulted in a net of 5000 to me. Now I'm looking at -9000 net on one leg and -33,000 if I manage to UUA both legs.

Ouch.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 1:48 pm

Programs: BA BLUE BADGE
Originally Posted by jacobitetraveller
very interesting article

"it is unsustainable for us to continue offering this benefit which is not available to executive members based in other European countries"

owned by the Spanish..........
Old Jan 28, 2015, 1:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

very interesting article

But where would it be available except in Spain (where IB- a different airline took it away) BA don't operate domestically anywhere else (even Sun Air doesn't). It's a pity these journo's can't ask the crucial questions though I think that's just copied off the website.

Certainly any Avios collector can benefit from the UK domestic add-on.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 1:54 pm

Programs: BAEC, Silver
What it means for average Joe

I had to register on this forum in order to add my tuppence on this topic.

I consider myself an average Joe with respect to my spend with BA. I'm very loyal and on the whole BA have been very good to me. However, I work hard for my money and when I fly BA (mostly for leisure) I always spend that little bit extra to fly WTP wherever possible both to accrue a cabin bonus, TP bonus, chance of upgrade and to desperately claw my way towards Silver from Bronze which I have always aspired to. I try to buy my tickets during the sales (mostly T class) and try to MFU to CW wherever possible.

Recently, I spent more money than I normally would have on a flight to Dubai next month flying CW out and WTP back in order to attain my life long dream of that silver badge.

So can you imagine my dismay at reading these changes? What I thought I was going to get with respect to my Silver benefits will now mean only a 50% Avios bonus on all future flights instead of 100%. My normal T fare cabin bonus in future will only be 100% instead of my normal 125% and the dream flight I was saving up for (a return business class ticket to Sydney) will cost me 250k-300k Avios instead of 200k). Lose, Lose, Lose.

I think I represent a lot of people who can't afford to pay for J or F or have travel paid for by the company. The news today has made it that little bit more difficult for poor old Joe I'm sad to say and wasn't exactly what I spent so much money recently buying into.......
Old Jan 28, 2015, 1:54 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold , HH Diamond , IHG Diamond Elite, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by Weeelegs
Could not have put it better myself! As a Ł1000 for a 1000tps TP runner I have become obsessed with earning Avios in order to pay for my 5 trips West in J/F each year to see relatives in Florida and Michigan. As a low grade Gold I accept I have been creaming the system as much as most of those in the overcrowded T5 lounges. Having flown business with the ME3 and seeing how cheap Ex EU fares can be, I can still sit up front for not much more than an Ex UK PE ticket. These changes were bound to happen, the bigger issue for me is how far BA is falling behind its rivals in the air with their cabins, entertainment and service standards. The 787 E and CW cabins are a disgrace! Looks like I'll be spending the next few hours on the Reward Flight Search.....
Ditto and Double Ditto
Old Jan 28, 2015, 1:55 pm

Originally Posted by dannyrado
Oh and I forgot to add, will the guarantee of 2 x J seats on every flight translate into only 2 x J seats available? If so families are royally screwed over....
THIS! If you are trying to travel with a family of 3 or 4. Good luck.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 2:00 pm

Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, SBB-CFF-FFS GA-AG, SNCF Grand Voyageur LeClub
So January 28th 2015 is the BA equivalent of April Fool's Day for AFKL Flying Blue.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 2:00 pm

Programs: BAEC , M&M , VIRGIN FC , FLYING BLUE
Originally Posted by hugolover
But where would it be available except in Spain (where IB- a different airline took it away) BA don't operate domestically anywhere else (even Sun Air doesn't). It's a pity these journo's can't ask the crucial questions though I think that's just copied off the website.

Certainly any Avios collector can benefit from the UK domestic add-on.
what BA are saying is an executive club member living in for instance paris--they don't get a free connection to LHR so why should someone flying from say EDI or GLA

obviously the paper is concentrating on how people feel BA is badly treating Scottish customers but im sure northern English based papers will be saying something similar about northern customers

british airways ????? I think not
Old Jan 28, 2015, 2:01 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TK Elite
The wiki currently states that there is no change to TP earning other than the CWLCY route, which contradicts my current understanding (25% TP earning on lowest WT classes at the least). Am I wrong?
Old Jan 28, 2015, 2:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by scillyisles
Not sure this is correct. Firstly, we do a lot of work for big financial institutions and we insist on using our expense policy which is J for TATL. As such we often have a tussle with their financial depts. and therefore get to know how much discount they get on their corporate airline which is sometimes BA. These figures do not back up your assertion above.

Secondly, we always end up buying our own tickets mostly on BA and invariably this will be in F,A, or J. I do not think we have ever bought an I class fare or any economy tickets. The only kickback we get from BA is the OnBusiness scheme. So we are buying fully/semi flexible tickets at published prices.
I'm not sure how big your company is but from what you describe, I am guessing that you are not in the case I describe. I am talking about the full fare tickets on corporate contracts negotiated by large companies (including those large financial institutions you refer to) which do indeed typically book into C and J. Several of them have bought me my tickets and from complex accounting reasons, I know how much they paid, and it really was about the same as what I pay when I (as an individual) buy an I ticket.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 2:03 pm

Perhaps if longhaul economy redemptions didn't come with ridiculous taxes and charges then people would actually use them.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 2:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

what BA are saying is an executive club member living in for instance paris--they don't get a free connection to LHR so why should someone flying from say EDI or GLA

obviously the paper is concentrating on how people feel BA is badly treating Scottish customers but im sure northern English based papers will be saying something similar about northern customers

british airways ????? I think not
Yes I realise that, but they do get the free flight to Scotland etc. Certainly must have helped tourism.

I do agree with you of course.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 2:06 pm

Programs: FT
Originally Posted by smithgf
I had to register on this forum in order to add my tuppence on this topic.

I consider myself an average Joe with respect to my spend with BA. I'm very loyal and on the whole BA have been very good to me. However, I work hard for my money and when I fly BA (mostly for leisure) I always spend that little bit extra to fly WTP wherever possible both to accrue a cabin bonus, TP bonus, chance of upgrade and to desperately claw my way towards Silver from Bronze which I have always aspired to. I try to buy my tickets during the sales (mostly T class) and try to MFU to CW wherever possible.

Recently, I spent more money than I normally would have on a flight to Dubai next month flying CW out and WTP back in order to attain my life long dream of that silver badge.

So can you imagine my dismay at reading these changes? What I thought I was going to get with respect to my Silver benefits will now mean only a 50% Avios bonus on all future flights instead of 100%. My normal T fare cabin bonus in future will only be 100% instead of my normal 125% and the dream flight I was saving up for (a return business class ticket to Sydney) will cost me 250k-300k Avios instead of 200k). Lose, Lose, Lose.

I think I represent a lot of people who can't afford to pay for J or F or have travel paid for by the company. The news today has made it that little bit more difficult for poor old Joe I'm sad to say and wasn't exactly what I spent so much money recently buying into.......
welcome to FT. i was stung here in NA on the last devaluation. i am still digesting this second sting.

my first thought, sucks for those that cannot take their kids out of school to travel in off-peak times. kind of burns all those in those places where they fine you are arrest you if you....gasp...take a child out of school for weeks long vacation....

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.