Old Jan 28, 2015, 1:49 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
The changes in summary
Applicable to bookings made from 28 April 2015
For more information, see BA's 28 January announcement and FAQ on ba.com

Earning
Changes to Avios accrual rates and tier bonuses
  • earning rates increase for flights booked in F, A, J, C, D, and W selling classes
  • no change for flights booked in R, I, Y, B, and H selling classes
  • earning rates reduce for flights booked in E, T, K, L, M, N, S, V, Q, O, and G selling classes

Earning with partners
Reduced earnings in Economy and Premium Economy
AA, IBERIA, JAL, LAN, TAM, ALASKA, SRI LANKAN, QANTAS, CATHAY.

Changes to tier bonuses
  • no change to Gold tier bonuses (100%)
  • Silver tier bonuses reduce from 100% to 50%
  • no change to Bronze tier bonuses (25%)

Changes to minimum Avios amounts (accrued per flight)
  • minimum thresholds increase for long haul premium fares (F, A, J, C, D, W)
  • no change to restricted business class fares (R and I class) and flexible econony (Y, B, and H class)
  • minimum thresholds decrease for WT+ (E and T class) - although there are no BA WTP flights that short
  • minimum thresholds decrease from 500 to 250 Avios for mid priced economy (K, L, M, N, S, and V classes)
  • minimum thresholds decrease from 500 to 125 Avios for cheapest economy (Q, O, and G classes)

Changes to Tier Point earning rates
  • Club World London City flights reduce from 210 to 140 Tier Points
  • Cheapest economy flights (in selling classes Q, O, and G) reduce from 50% to 25% Tier Points
  • No change to minimum 2/4 segments for earning Bronze/Others
  • No change to 25 segment / 50 segment Bronze/Silver earning option
  • No other changes, thresholds still Bronze 300,Silver 600,Gold 1500,GGL 5000 (3000 to retain)

Spending
Promise of greater reward inventory/availability
  • Guaranteed minimum 4 seats in economy on every flight
  • Guaranteed minimum 2 seats in business on every flight
  • Guaranteed seats will be available to book from 355 days before departure and may vanish 45 days before departure, if not already booked.

Changes to standard flight redemption rates
  • Variable rates introduced divided into Off-peak and Peak
  • For Peak time (school holidays and other busy times), and partner costs
  • WT - stays the same cost
  • WTP increases - from x1.5 to x2.0 multiplier (33% increase)
  • Club World increases - from x2.0 to x3.0 multiplier (50% increase)
  • First increases - from x3.0 to x4.0 multiplier (33% increase)
  • For Off Peak time (including every Tuesday and Wednesday throughout the year)
  • WT decreases by 35% from current values
  • WT decreases by 13% from current values
  • Club World increases by 25% from current values
  • First increases by 13% from current values
  • Free domestic add-ons abolished on short haul redemptions
  • No word if CE redemptions will be charged 4500/Ł17.50 or 9000/Ł25 for the UK leg
  • Variable rates introduced on Iberia
  • Flight redemptions on BA's other airline partners will be charged at Peak rates all year round

Changes to Upgrade with Avios
  • Eligible booking codes is set to increase in the near future, allowing mile upgrades from economy (WT and ET) for more travellers - K, L, M, N, S, and V classes added (exact fare codes subject to confirmation)
  • Avios required for upgrade now based on the formula: Avios redemption price for the cabin you want to upgrade to, minus the Avios redemption price for the cabin you have paid for with cash. This means that certain off peak WTP to CW upgrades are more expensive than peak WTP to CW upgrades (assuming peak/off-peak variables will apply to UuA)
Print Wikipost

Executive Club Changes

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2015, 3:54 am

Originally Posted by stickyfingers85
If you fly almost always in economy, at the cheapest price, due to earning such low avios, it almost becomes pointless to be a member of BAEC
No, it becomes pointless (or Aviosless) to continue to fly BA in order to earn TPs or Avios on cheapo economy. A significant number of BAEC members don't earn their Avios by flying BA anyway.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 3:54 am

Programs: LH SEN, BA Gold
Originally Posted by irishguy28
...though perhaps BA is happy to encourage its frequent fliers to abscond to partners rather than flying on BA themselves.
Actually, the current & "enhanced" BA EC Program might just do that for us mainland European mid- to high-volume business travelers with both TATL and Asia travel patterns. While BA is great to TATL due to tons of nonstops to secondary US cities from a European hub, they have to compete with MEA carriers from mainland Europe. Plus, Finnair to North Asia is dreadfully attractive, in terms of timing, layover, product and price. Briefly reviewed my BA Exec Statement for 2014: In excess of 2.000 TP from QR and Finnair. In prior years, those flights were almost exlusively with CX or LH.

M&M downgraded mileage earned in C flights to Asia on competing *A carriers, probably hoping that M&M members would switch back to LH/LX. Personally, I switched to QR/Finnair and the occasional BA flight .
Old Jan 28, 2015, 3:55 am
DSA

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador
Originally Posted by strichener
This ignores that fact that earning the avios in the first place (on flights) just got more expensive.
Fair point, but for those (like me) who earn most Avios from a credit card, Tesco, Shell etc. there is (currently) no change to the earning rate.
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JohnW52
Whilst it is a little irritating to lose free domestic flights for European destinations in practice they were of little use to me flying out of MAN, as there are usually plenty of other options direct. It always seemed like a waste of effort to fly MAN-PMI via LHR and taking c6 hours rather than 2 direct.
I haven't seen any mention of being able to use other carriers for flights from domestic to European destinations. In particular FlyBe and Monarch will be very useful for me from MAN, always assuming I can find availability of course.
JohnW52, welcome to FlyerTalk and welcome indeed on what I think will be a busy day here.

You are quite right that this is a squeeze on those of us lucky enough to inhabit the regions.

I think we will have to plan carefully what to do next.

Don't forget that IB will be launching a MAN-MAD and EDI-MAD very soon, which may help matters a little. Still a connection of course but at least you only go through security once.

For those of us who try to be loyal to BA, who eke out a few avios here and there on short-haul and occasional long-haul economy tickets, who will never be anything other than blue, have just been told we are insignificant to the company. Am sure it's great commerical stuff, but BA have just told me that my loyalty is insignificant to them, which I guess it is. Bye bye BA, hello easyJet.
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Rambuster
Wow, a massive devaluation.
Especially if BA partner airlines will not offer off-peak.
It's not a matter of what BA partner airlines offer -- it's a matter of what BA wants to charge BA customers for redeeming BA points for award tickets that include partner operated flights.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 3:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Rambuster
Wow, a massive devaluation.
Especially if BA partner airlines will not offer off-peak.
Only IB will offer off peak (on their own timetable).

Everyone else is on peak all the time.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 3:59 am

Programs: EL AL Matmid, BA Executive Club GfL, GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Avis President's Club
Well, these changes just gave me another reason to justify a little run to get gold in March! I wasn't quite convinced of its worth, despite having booked it already.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 4:01 am

Programs: I go wherever the content takes me.
Originally Posted by Rick5105
For those of us who try to be loyal to BA, who eke out a few avios here and there on short-haul and occasional long-haul economy tickets, who will never be anything other than blue, have just been told we are insignificant to the company. Am sure it's great commerical stuff, but BA have just told me that my loyalty is insignificant to them, which I guess it is. Bye bye BA, hello easyJet.
There is no point in trying to be loyal to a vast corporation with countless shareholders.

As always, work out what's the best value for you. When I saw this thread it looked like bad news for me at first reading. Having run my sums, I find that actually it benefits me.

If it had really shafted me so other airlines or alliances served me better, I'd be off in a shot.

I'm afraid these changes are quite severe for a lot of members who travel more casually. But if you do travel a lot, and don't redeem in F all the time, and earn plenty of Avios outside of flying activities, BA has kind of tweaked the programme to provide better value.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 4:04 am

Programs: All Expired... :-(
Originally Posted by DSA
Fair point, but for those (like me) who earn most Avios from a credit card, Tesco, Shell etc. there is (currently) no change to the earning rate.
Depends on how you look at it, those avios are now effectively worth less, so there an effect to the earning rate.
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I guess it shows that BA aren't that interested in

* Silver and below
* Economy passengers
* Regional passengers

Programs: BA Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
For those of us who try to be loyal to BA, who eke out a few avios here and there on short-haul and occasional long-haul economy tickets, who will never be anything other than blue, have just been told we are insignificant to the company.
Is anyone a member of BAEC because they want to be loyal to BA? I would suspect that most people are members because they want to make use of the benefits that come with such membership.

I am a little surprised that BA have decided to devalue the tier bonus for Silver instead of just increasing it for Gold. If they had done that they arguably they'd have two happy(ish) groups of customers instead of one annoyed one and one that's just feeling a bit 'hmmm'.

To me it makes sense to reward people with more Avios for booking flexible fares in premium cabins. The change in redemption rates is certainly annoying. Will it mean more seats available? I doubt it as there are plenty of other ways that people earn Avios other than flying.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 4:05 am

Programs: BA Executive Club, Flying Blue, Miles & More, Virgin Atlantic Flying Club
Yup. My travel patterns are such that, price-wise, there is little difference between BA/LH/KL. I have largely been loyal to BA due to the advantages of the EC for travellers like you describe, as well as generally preferring the service. These changes erode this advantage, plus the increasingly zoo-like T5 is becoming little different to FRA.

If I ever get the iPad 'thank you for your loyalty we really appreciate it' nudge from the CSD/purser/whatever again I will have to try hard not to laugh and spurt G&T everywhere!
Old Jan 28, 2015, 4:06 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Well, I'm surprised by the unchanged TPs to get Gold; I expected this to go up a little, but hey-ho. The rest is not really surprising, though I don't really expect to be able to book CW/F any more easily than before.

The rest doesn't affect me too much, since I don't book Q, O, or G, and I have far too many Avios anyway.

I guess there's work to be done to update the stickies at the top of the thread!
Old Jan 28, 2015, 4:07 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by paul4040
But if you do travel a lot, and don't redeem in F all the time, and earn plenty of Avios outside of flying activities, BA has kind of tweaked the programme to provide better value.
You described my pattern of use of BAEC, and yet these changes provide me with worse value out of the program. I doubt I am alone. Gutting the value customers get out of these programs is the objective of changes like these that are designed to enhance the more immediate term profitability of the program for IAG and to enable a more lucrative sale value (of the program) to potential owners/shareholders.

Originally Posted by Swanhunter
I guess it shows that BA aren't that interested in

* Silver and below
* Economy passengers
* Regional passengers
* Customers redeeming points for longer-haul award tickets and/or on partner airlines.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.